AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 10th July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I would say default oder set everything to 50%. Then start set tyre temps and gearing. From that on, I'm lost :D

Thanks guys for your inputs. Will go back a step and try them. Maybe if you @Kek700 would provide me your Porsche setup? That would be intereseting as I really would give this car a try once

I usually start with a setup from here. Dredge through the old threads for something, just keeping in mind the nature of the track it was for originally. If someone had done well in it, it probably as some usable groups of setting you can use even if it has some characteristics you don't like.
It's good to compare stuff you have built yourself to others also. You could be barking up the wrong tree altogether with a setup. A look at someone elses work might help you alot.
Someone mentioned it. The biggest difference between sims and irl, to my mind, is you don't need to worry about damaging the car. You can drag or bounce the gearbox/ front wing/ skirts along the ground if you wish, searching for the ideal balance. You have the joy of making infinite micro adjustments in an instant and retesting, launching the car over kerbs or into a corner as aggressive as you like without any fear of creating a wreck.
Mercedes look to have messed their rear this weekend and are paying the price. Maybe they were just one click away from solid qually :D

For trying the audi I manually 'downloaded' this. It felt pretty decent to me. I only had a 30 minute window so wasn't going building anything from scratch. Just adjusted brake bias, some TC on and tyre pressures fuel and it was very usable.

However talking about feel of a car. To me it felt like it has a really narrow unpredictable range where you hit the apex. Alot of the time in T5 6 7 I was either carrying too much speed, resulting in running wide, or not enough so I ended up one the kerb really high or even the grass. A slight mix of understeer and oversteer on entry. I would prefer one or the other. Specifically it has no turning ability hard on the brakes. Eventually you hit a speed where it's nice really pointy. That speed felt a little to slow and late for me. Not much trailbraking in it.

For this race I would maybe just try quickly try ARB or aero to fix it or not. It is is possibly just a skill issue that could go away after a few races in the car so I would stray to far from the car as it is. It's only searching for 0.2 of a second at the end of the day!

To be going deep in setups you need to know exactly what you want a car to feel like, thinking back to something you drove that felt really nice and how that behave. Then look at what you have and try to get it there. To someone else that audi could feel very different!

As ernie said without specific questions or issues or a setup to look at it's hard to give any solutions. If you have the nose of the car in the air and the TC setup all wrong no amount if fast rebound tinkering will fix the car. You have to get to the point where you are asking the detailed questions. Why is the car doing x y z when i hit this kerb on trail braking. I remember asking chris and erazer about the rear of the ferrari into samsung on portimao. The simple answers they gave me were a game changer, because i could describe in detail what was happening and had spent months trying to fix it. It was rear camber and they recommend camber extravaganza as a usefull tool to see how the wheels are shifting about. It's hard to feel whats happening with a car in a sim so the various apps can let you see which tyres are locking/sliding etc.

This is just for starters, needs a lot of work Andreas, it is reasonably competitive but no Mclaren. ( has a fuel economy advantage )
Change anything on the setup, will, maybe, probably, give problems. it is a balancing act front and rear. you will NOT be able to take liberties with this car like you can with the Z4.
That's my view, interested to see yours.

Attachments

• test 911 Redbull.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 48
I tried this setup yesterday and got nowhere near his times. He seemed to be in quite a low gear (3rd) for T1 when I was trying to keep the cornering speed higher and keeping it in 4th. My own half baked setup felt better for me and I was at least .5 secs faster - but still way off the race pace of last year's race.

It's still fun trying to work all this stuff out but boy it's frustrating.

I haven't yet got to practicing, but here's my old setup from couple of years back for RBR(the first one), second setup is the one for bathurst couple of weeks back and for that I did a lot of work on the dampers with motec and it should be maybe with a few tweaks for this track close to perfection for what comes to dampers.

Attachments

• 1.29.0 q_s v1.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 50
  • KISA.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 37
@Kek700 tried your setup for the Porsche. It felt very strong at the front and when turning in, nearly no understeer at all. The downside for me was, that especially at T1 und T3 even when only coasting and turning, it tends to loose the rear quite easy. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Then I found a setup for Barcelona which felt quite stable. Problem is, I'm nearly a second of my time with the 650s :/
Now I'm going to give the Audi one more try with Brians setup.

I tried this setup yesterday and got nowhere near his times. He seemed to be in quite a low gear (3rd) for T1 when I was trying to keep the cornering speed higher and keeping it in 4th. My own half baked setup felt better for me and I was at least .5 secs faster - but still way off the race pace of last year's race.

It's still fun trying to work all this stuff out but boy it's frustrating.

You really have to separate driving ability from setup’s.
There not connected at all,
You have answered your own question :roflmao::roflmao:
When I get a setup correct, I am maximising my ability by a 100 %
That’s all, it is not in a million years going to instantly turn me into Joelk. Unfortunately. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I can make an undrivsble car into a drivable one , I cannot make a setup that gives you or anyone else the magic that instantaneously turns you into an Alien.
Fast drivers always have fantastic setups, because I will guarantee every one looks at his lap time and attributes to his setup.

@640er
You really have to be conscious of this cars limitations, you could give it a go with mediums. If it still does it, which I am sure it will. Then..
You do not want the front to grip too much and unbalance the back too quickly, it need the right approach for that car,
You may be a bit too aggressive and instantly overheating the softs and always be ready to apply slowly the power to the rear wheels to stop the rear suddenly overloading.
Coasting is not a state that these Porsches are happy with in AC in a corner.
I did everything i could to limit front grip , for this reason.
Put a shed load more camber on or remove a load of camber to make it under steer more.
It is a great car if you get it right, the throttle is your friend in this car.
It is so noticeable how unstable this car is, just touch a kerb under power, instant oversteer , instant red tyres.

Last edited:
@640er had problems in T1, throttle control sorts that one and a less aggressive approach.
T3. no problem, turn in a bit earlier, apply small amounts of throttle, even if I cocked it up completely, the car wanted to stay neutral and give you little bit of time to apply the right amount of throttle to keep it stable..

Last edited:
@Interslice what a great setup, makes the Audi a joy to drive, needed the TC on, :roflmao::roflmao:
He is not only a quick driver, but his setup is really good too.

It works nice out of the box which is rare :) I was really nitpicking about what i would change in it down the line. Just for an example. I was close to my Lambo times in it straight away. Within half a second anyway. Could maybe get it the same more or les with practice and one or two clicks here and there.

Think I'll go ferrari for this as i'm nearly a second faster in it. Might regret it but you don't know until sunday is done :)

Last edited:
interesting Audi set up, seems to eliminate the one main issue I had with the rear being a little tight. Its a nice car to point and go, but sometimes the tail goes the wrong way and doesn't want to get wrangled back in.

Only problem is it got me close enough to my Lambo time I need to again rethink what car I'm using :geek:

See you all tomorrow with all our fancy set ups :laugh:

Last edited:
Well as I am used to failure, this is very easy for me to say, I have given up on the Porsche.
Tried everything I can think of, and glimpsed momentarily at success, only to be eventually beaten.:O_o:
Obviously, Porsche upset Kunos, they did their best to make it slow, then added insult to injury by making it send its soft tyres into the red at a drop of a hat, come to think of it they managed to do the same with the Mercedes, handles nicely, but is slow almost at every circuit.
OIP (2).jpg image of a defeated man.

PS.
Other sims, I have no problem with the 911's only AC.

Last edited:
Well as I am used to failure, this is very easy for me to say, I have given up on the Porsche.
Tried everything I can think of, and glimpsed momentarily at success, only to be eventually beaten.:O_o:
Obviously, Porsche upset Kunos, they did their best to make it slow, then added insult to injury by making it send its soft tyres into the red at a drop of a hat, come to think of it they managed to do the same with the Mercedes, handles nicely, but is slow almost at every circuit.
View attachment 580878 image of a defeated man.

PS.
Saw you fighting the car today and had a good laugh about your comment before leaving :)

I'll try the Audi this time. @Interslice your setup is really nice

View attachment 580878 image of a defeated man.

PS.

It is a complete pig on the kerbs. I've had it setup competitive on some tracks but for one or 2 corners where not using the kerb loose you too much time. Anywhere with a bumpy chicane or the likes of here where everyone is on softs, i can't see it working.

Hope it hasn't put folks off GT3 in the past... Seen more than one driver using it in their first race.

Latest News

Back