AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 10th July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
A question to our setup guys. I've tried various cars and especially in the Würth corner, I have big problems with the rear end. Either it goes when turning in, or when getting on power. I have to be really really gently turning in and if I survived the entry, extremly patient with appling throttle.

Where would you start to tune your setup?

I know what a rear wing does and can imagine what the ARB is good for. But no idea about bumpers, springs, ride height etc. so I would like to keep it simple and only make changes to Diff, ARB and Wing

Last edited:
Which car are you referring to Andreas.

I ask that because I have not had that problem in the cars I have driven here
And I have driven the lot here to day. But some are more temperamental than others.
But all I drove, I have pre set them up.
Plus I ride the kerbs here too, quite aggressively.

Last edited:
Which car are you referring to Andreas.

I ask that because I have not had that problem in the cars I have driven here
And I have driven the lot here to day. But some are more temperamental than others.
But all I drove, I have pre set them up.
Porsche was worst, Ferrari and Lambo close behind. GT-R was ok'ish but that's the only car I have a setup for.

I have setups for all cars, ( ignored the Ferrari ) the Porsche was a difficult car here, you just cannot run it on softs and go flat out. But run it on mediums and it was okay. the Lamborghini was again a bit off, but had no real problems with it, it rides kerbs very well.

If you give me a specific car, I can either give you my setup for you to compare the differences.
Then discuss what you do not like or ask why I did what I did.
Other may possibly chime in, to add a bit more knowledge, but it is best if you pick one car, they are all so different

A question to our setup guys. I've tried various cars and especially in the Würth corner, I have big problems with the rear end. Either it goes when turning in, or when getting on power. I have to be really really gently turning in and if I survived the entry, extremly patient with appling throttle.

I know what a rear wing does and can imagine what the ARB is good for. But no idea about bumpers, springs, ride height etc. so I would like to keep it simple and only make changes to Diff, ARB and Wing
Tough to answer without knowing which car Andi (and I can't comment on the Porsche :unsure: ), I'd be asking myself what it feels like ie. roll oversteer, snap, off-throttle o/steer.

For snap oversteer (on lift off) I'd prob start by lowering rear bump and/or adding more rear positive toe (but watch your tyre temps and if it affects straight line speed).

If it's happening on sudden changes for direction then increasing rear rebound can help stop the massive change of weight transfer.

If it's roll oversteer (feeling like a steady build of weight, a 'pendulum effect', if that makes sense?) then spring/roll bar rates/rear height, for starters.

But whatever you do, and I'm sure you know, whatever you try and get faster, keep going back to stock, to check it's not track time that's giving the improvement.

I should point out ppl say my setups try to kill them by bonga bonga :roflmao:
(I like a pointy, strong front end in slow corners, a touch of understeer on fast btw)

Edit: Of course diff coast can help too, but for the Macca, Ferrari and Audi you need to keep the diff loaded (w a touch of power), they don't like sudden lift, imo.

Good luck on Sunday mate :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I would start with the brake balance. It could be too far back if the corner entries are very sketch.

I always pinch johns setups, and invariably keep the front and do my own rear, like he said they tend to oversteer with a vengeance. Needless to say I am always quicker when I combined both, my setup are a bit stodgy.

You cannot in my view just parrot fashion setups, paint by numbers, you really need to feel the car, then make adjustments that are in your repertoire, things that you have experienced before. It is a constant learning thing, tracks , cars and track conditions are constantly working away in the background.
We all drive at different speeds, take corners in different way, brake later, earlier and so on .
All these things affect setups.

I someone who is hopeless at setups (apart from basics) I'd really like to know where to start. At least it gives you some idea what to change if you haven't a clue.

and invariably keep the front and do my own rear
You said that Ernie, and I my thoughts, were..... :laugh: :roflmao:

Kenneth williams.jpg

That was very useful john, not the bit above, :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: , what you quoted, it rang a bell in my head, I have just done my quickest lap with softs in the Porsche, a milestone for me
here at Redbull.
It still does not like curbs at all, roll oversteer, I stiffened the arse, put on a load of ARB.
I still would not touch this car here, but a significant improvement.
At a push, I could race here on softs now, concentration for 60 min, another matter, I will stick with the Nissan.:O_o::O_o::O_o:

That was very useful john, not the bit above, :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: , what you quoted, it rang a bell in my head, I have just done my quickest lap with softs in the Porsche, a milestone for me
here at Redbull.
It still does not like curbs at all, roll oversteer, I stiffened the arse, put on a load of ARB.
I still would not touch this car here, but a significant improvement.
At a push, I could race here on softs now, concentration for 60 min, another matter, I will stick with the Nissan.:O_o::O_o::O_o:
Celtic Hero once gave me a Porsche setup (which I lost), was a revelation - though looking at the changes was against everything that made sense to me (at the time) - so I often wonder, do we set cars up for what we know of irl, or for AC? :unsure: (iirc, it was very low back end and stiff as a very stiff thing, with very soft front)

If I live long enough, maybe I'll get a handle on the fat bottomed girl, but have no desire to do so :laugh:

EDIT: Changed my thinking in the last yr with setups, most of mine are now made for (as a priority) corner exit - "the straight is the easiest place to pass, and also to defend" ~ Confucius, or maybe Senna, it's late :D

Last edited:
I someone who is hopeless at setups (apart from basics) I'd really like to know where to start. At least it gives you some idea what to change if you haven't a clue.
it is so difficult to help from an isolated situation, it needs a load of explanation, most will lose the will to live by the time everything is explained.
Then there are really clever sods who can take my one or two waffling " probably incorrect sentences" of explanation and turn it into a whole chapter and verse.
I forget a lot and there is so much to learn, but I take consolation in the fact that a good driver will not even bother with setups apart from the obvious and easily beat me by 2 seconds and more, so take heart in that.
But if you need to sort your own setups, because it is fun, for me far better than racing, copy my formula.
Drive the car, for three laps, then in your head notice things that are constantly repeating themselves, not driving errors.
So, say the car will keep breaking away on the corner entry, then research all you can about that subject, find what affects that, ( experiment, trial and error ) you must always combine front and rear, they exist as a pair. You cannot just do something to the rear of the car, they both play a part.
Ask here for advice, and then everyone wins, one problem at a time, eventually, you will build up a knowledge base.
I enjoy my setups, you do not have to be good at them, you do not have to be a great driver, we are here to have fun, not earn a living, luckily.:unsure:

Celtic Hero once gave me a Porsche setup (which I lost), was a revelation - though looking at the changes was against everything that made sense to me (at the time) - so I often wonder, do we set cars up for what we know of irl, or for AC? :unsure: (iirc, it was very low back end and stiff as a very stiff thing, with very soft front)

If I live long enough, maybe I'll get a handle on the fat bottomed girl, but have no desire to do so :laugh:

EDIT: Changed my thinking in the last yr with setups, most of mine are now made for (as a priority) corner exit - "the straight is the easiest place to pass, and also to defend" ~ Confucius, or maybe Senna, it's late :D
You can learn so much from others, once I read what you said about roll oversteer, it just clicked in my head.
I have spent all this time with a soft arse on the Porsche, never for one moment thinking about all that weight over the rear wheel wanting to roll around its centre of gravity.
I am not saying I have created a perfect Porsche now, but it is a big step forward.
I shall be moving tomorrow to a much softer front, matron.:roflmao::roflmao:

I would say default oder set everything to 50%. Then start set tyre temps and gearing. From that on, I'm lost :D

Thanks guys for your inputs. Will go back a step and try them. Maybe if you @Kek700 would provide me your Porsche setup? That would be intereseting as I really would give this car a try once

Would the setup experts say it's better to move a setting by a click (if I do that then it's hard to notice a difference) or change it a lot (to force a difference) and then dial it back to what you think works best?

Latest News

Back