Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

• Deleted member 197115

Oh no early adopters. NVidia may do that 7nm refresh that was rumored as possible.

That means a new brood of these RTX cards will use less power and likely go a chunk faster.

The kicker would be if it also dropped the price since the silicone would be cheaper per chip.
Sounds like there is a room for Ti after all. 20GB with 7nm die. :inlove:
For a mere

I doubt 7nm will be cheaper. The wafer price that TSMC is charing for 7nm starts is nearly double that of 8nm at Samsung and it is denser but only about 50%. Price per die will almost certainly be higher. It should clock a little better and use a little less power but I am not sure it will be cheaper, it most likely will be more expensive.

1.jpg

2020-08-28-image-2.png

Last edited:
That is not a comparison, there is nothing meaningful you can use to compare the cards besides the amount of memory, it's just two spec sheets. I'm really hoping that the new AMD cards are good!

Yeah on paper AMD looks slower due to memory bandwidth and bit rate, plus CU count (64 stream processors per CU) seem lower than Nvidia CUDA counts (the doubled up Nvidia CUDA advertised not that sheet). But its not comparable because of the new cache system they are using which is a complete unknown. Clock speeds, jury is out on that one.

Gonna call it and say 6900xt is going to be a $800-900 card but shooting for 3090 performance. 6800xt and 6800 are going to be the ones competing with the 3080 equal and below I think probably around $550-650. 6700xt and non xt will compete with the 3070 at maybe between $350-450.

Think only 6900xt, 6800xt and the 6800 will be launching this year though.

Also saw a rumor today 3080 20gb and 3070ti 16 gb have been cancelled!

Think Nvidia are in a panic at the moment, maybe they will just cancel 8nm entirely and throw everything at 7nm now as they know they are about to be made fools of for once. Could cost them a lot of money, but maybe force them to up their game.

Think Nvidia are in a panic at the moment, maybe they will just cancel 8nm entirely and throw everything at 7nm now as they know they are about to be made fools of for once. Could cost them a lot of money, but maybe force them to up their game.

You can also look it in the way that they feel that AMD products are not as good they expected, so they do not need the new products now. ;) They had the new cards ready in case AMD had something great.

Last edited:
I doubt 7nm will be cheaper. The wafer price that TSMC is charing for 7nm starts is nearly double that of 8nm at Samsung and it is denser but only about 50%. Price per die will almost certainly be higher. It should clock a little better and use a little less power but I am not sure it will be cheaper, it most likely will be more expensive.

Somewhere I saw that the 7nm cost per chip was about 20% higher from TMC. However the TMC part is supposed to handle a significant enough jump in max clock speed to be worth it.

Keep in mind that the memory used in these cards is trending down in price as well and the GPU is only one component in a complex card. So the overall cost does not need to be 20% higher to maintain margins.

Going from 12nm to 8nm "should have" allowed for a faster clock speed as well, however it appears that Samsung's 8nm process may be weaker than TMC's.

I believe that a 7nm TMC chip should be capable of operating a chunk faster using the existing cooling for the 8nm chip. I wouldn't be surprised it if were a good 10-15% faster.

Last edited:

It's all getting a bit baffling. I'm flip flopping between wanting to pre order the 3080 now, or be a good consumer and wait for the AMD cards. Throwing 7nm into the equation is not helping at all.

I guess I just need to stick to my requirements and then it doesn't matter if a better card comes out.

The 7nm and the 20GB is all rumour anyway, there is nothing solid about any of that at all. I think Nvidia is probably making Titan or Quadro cards on TSMC 7nm but its consumer cards will remain on 8nm. Given the 2GBit DDR6X isn't available yet I can't see the 3080 going the same route as the 3090 with memory on the rear of the card too and not become really expensive. Both rumours (and the rumour that they aren't doing that rumour) don't seem very likely to me given what is actually known so far and what Nvidia has said.

The long and the short of it to me is, there will always be something around the corner and you'll never know how much of an improvement it is until it's in the reviewers hands. Everything improves, and computer hardware faster than other things. Additionally it's very simple to measure absolute improvements.

So, move to a new card IF you need a new card. That compelling event could be a new game, new monitor, new VR headset or that you've got a bonus from work and want to spunk a bit of it on a toy.

Don't spend money on hardware if you can't afford it or in reality you're happy with the status quo. That purchase will only bring short-lived joy as it will quickly be superseded by something faster etc.

I have a 3080 on order after cancelling a 3090 order as being too frivolous. I skipped the 20 series cards and have had my 1080ti for a about two years. My G2 headset is due to arrive in early November, so I have a compelling event. I'll be happy with the 3080 as I've watched various reviews and know it should cope with the new setup requirements.

I disagree with the idea that there is always something around the corner, there is but there are also clearly good and bad moments to buy components based on the industry cycle. This week is a very bad time to buy a new 2080 ti, it will be vastly overperformed by a 3080 at half its price and it is simply an availability issue right now. The big performance jumps come with silicon process improvements and the earlier you buy those cards the more you will benefit from that. The cards don't loose purchase price at anywhere near the rate they should to compensate for their reduced value as they age. If they did a 2080ti would be about $400 right now and would have been loosing that $600 evenly over the year or so that its been released. Since it doesn't and its expiry date as being top card will be fixed the card gets naturally useful for a shorter period of time for every month you delay from the cards initial release but at roughly the same price.

Put another way if you get a 3080 now that card will be top mid-range for a year, maybe 2 before its superseded. If you buy it now that $700 will be spread over 24 months of usage. If you buy it in 2 years time it won't be top mid-range anymore and it will still cost you $700 for a month of usage before its replaced. It won't perform worse but the games will move on as the hardware does so it becomes more and more out of date. So yes there is always something around the corner, but there are also right and wrong times to buy PC components since they have clear jumps in performance that have been happening for 40 odd years.

Hi @BrightCandle, I get what you're saying, but the flaw i see in the argument is the compelling event. The "value" of the card isn't important once you've purchased it if your requirements don't change and the cards matches those requirements at the point of purchase.

My 1080ti is perfect for what I use it for today. ACC, medium settings, 90 Hz refresh on an ultra wide screen. Buying a 3080 would increase the graphical settings, but to me would not offer anything substantial and I wouldn't bother.

The refresh cycle of the manufacturer should not dictate when I need to purchase an upgrade. My requirements and my available cash should. This effectively means there is always something around the corner as I don't need to make a purchase of a new graphics card (for example) unless you have a need to do it. When I do I can buy the most appropriate available card at the time.

just my thoughts, but I think it's too easy to get tied into the consumer spending patterns laid out to us by suppliers and thinking that a card has a shelf life and deprecates (or not) over that period. My 1080ti is as fast today as the day I bought it, and the games I play aren't more demanding.

Hi @BrightCandle, I get what you're saying, but the flaw i see in the argument is the compelling event. The "value" of the card isn't important once you've purchased it if your requirements don't change and the cards matches those requirements at the point of purchase.

I think what is happening here is that there are a number of people eagerly awaiting their Reverb G2's or 8KX's which can easily soak up any and all GPU horsepower available right now.

So for them there is no upper bound based on our current level of technology.

For someone like me who is sticking with my Index for the time being, my2080Ti continues to do all I need it to do. Once I change my VR headset than I am VERY likely to upgrade my video card as well because my requirements will have changed.

The point being that for these new VR headsets, GPU power is just a black hole that can never be filled :)

It's just funny how unconfirmed leak on 20gb cards was cancelled by another unverified leak. :p

Yeah well it was the only thing keeping my hopes up with Nvidia TBH. Without it I've completely lost interest in them now. Maybe in 1-2 years time they might make something worth buying again, that is a real product you can actually buy as well.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.3%
  • Full game

Votes: 177 25.5%
  • CPU

Votes: 82 11.8%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 78 11.2%