Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Very interesting first signs of 6800xt in 3DMark beating the 3080 in everything except Raytracing.
Also at the bottom of the page alleged 6900xt results as well which are a little odd with poor time spy (dx12) performance but, absolutely shreds the 3090 in DX11 1440p (Firestrike Extreme). And again weaker on raytracing.

So initially looks like AMD cards are going to be amazing at DX 11, competative at DX12 but not much faster than a 2080ti at ray tracing.

Obviously this is a leak and only 3d mark so pinch of salt all round till real game benchmarks come out could be complete BS.

NVIDIA has just told its board partners that it will not launch GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB cards as planned.
cancelled due to shortage of GDDR6x??

Think this has been covered already but the 3070ti wouldn't use GDDR6X anyway. I suspect it's more that the leaking of the higher spec cards is causing a lot of concern at NVIDIA about people holding off buying the current Ampere cards.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger VRAM cards end up appearing anyway in 2021.

Very interesting first signs of 6800xt in 3DMark beating the 3080 in everything except Raytracing.

Given how few games are using Ray Tracing in VR, that could be a good thing for VR users.

BTW the only title I have in VR with raytracing support is "In Death". The shadows, fire, and dimly lit areas look very good, but I have no idea how much ray tracing they are actually using.

I suspect it's more that the leaking of the higher spec cards is causing a lot of concern at NVIDIA about people holding off buying the current Ampere cards.
Considering that there isn't an adequate supply of Ampere cards to meet current demand, I highly doubt that nVidia is as concerned as you believe.

Yeah more likely that they simply don't have the capacity to produce more than one product for some time so they focus on the cheaper one to get market share.

Guess they think that they'd get less market share if they'd stop the 10gb version and only produce the 20gb version.
Or produce both and sell less units overall..

im planning on getting a 3080 . but I'm going to wait until others are available . and i want to see what BIG NAVI . bench marks are going to look like .. Maybe , ill wait until after the holidays when al the hoopla is over . and I can make a better decision .

EVGA goes to a queue system for notification & orders. 5 hr window to order if you're notified. Currently only for USA customers.

EVGA notified me today that my name bubbled to the top of the list for an RTX 3090 FTW3. They have increased the order window from 5 hrs to 8 hrs. Took me 30 minutes to make it through the checkout this morning and I've got a UPS tracking number that predicts delivery on Monday.

So nearly a month in the queue and I signed up within hours of the queue being announced.

Do you guys think the prices will go down again, when there's constant stock available? Or should I hit the trigger the moment I find a card available?

Not really fancying to wait 5 months to then pay exactly the same price I'd pay right now...

I got lucky with a KFA2 3070. Stumbled upon it and the link was online for just 5 minutes. Bought it and tried it but the fans are way too loud on this one and the performance isn't quite what I would expect when paying 683€! :cautious:
3060ti "budget" card for "being happy for now" or 3080 to really have the performance I'd like it is...

So that 3070 is going back on Monday. May it make someone else happy! :inlove:

Really hard to predict. I can imagine prices going down if the 6000 series availability is good and it performs as advertised, hence creating much needed competition while having enough stock.

But rumors have it that AMD might also have issues with supply, so who knows.

All i know is that i would not pay 999€ for a 3080 (luckily i was able to grab one for around 750€ on launchday).

And given that here in germany you could buy one for that price right now, it seems that less and less people are willing to pay those prices and prefer to wait for now.

You could try your luck with a FE though :D

Last edited:
And given that here in germany you could buy one for that price right now, it seems that less and less people are willing to pay those prices and prefer to wait for now.
Got a shop name? I'm from Hamburg and can't find any 3080 available. Or I just overlooked them, lol

Do you guys think the prices will go down again, when there's constant stock available? Or should I hit the trigger the moment I find a card available?

The 6000 series will put some pressure on prices, but not much. I don't expect discounting from MSRP will happen until springtime... remember there's a HUGE demand that hasn't been fulfilled yet, particularly outside of simracing, and Christmas stock hasn't been able to be built yet. The simracing demand won't even know whether AMD or nVidia is right for them because AMD cards are not in simracers' hands yet.

Normally, the hot Christmas item is announced in September, there's plenty of stock in October and it just becomes a matter of who has the best price on Black Friday... this year there won't be any stock for Black Friday, the AMD reviews won't even have happened, and all existing stock will disappear well before Christmas, so the supply trickle will continue into at least January, February. Retailers are taking it on the chin if they didn't get rid of their 2000 series stock before September, too!

One can only imagine the pressure on TSMC, as well as other suppliers and assemblers to produce.
Hopefully AMD can put out a fair amount of cards but I'm none too optimistic.
It must be frustrating to AMD knowing you've finally got a shot at up-ending your competition for the first time in years and production issues could hamper it all.
I really hope they can pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last minute.
Of the current offerings presented to date, I'm planning on getting a 6800XT...barring something unforeseen.
I probably won't get one on initial offer, as I'm almost certain those will sell out in short order while I'm at work.
I'm also interested in the FE card at the MSRP.
I think the price is right (comparatively) and the cooler appears to be of the right design to get the job done.
Paying anything above the suggested $649 for an AIB cooler and possibly worst components is not in the cards. No pun intended.
I'm waiting to see how they look in my simracing titles and more importantly how 'fluid'.

Personally if the AMD cards still struggle with ACC (like if 6800xt is way off the mark compared to a 3080) that would be the big turn off, and no way would I put money down till I found that out. I'm hopeful though. Lets hope that same guy Dan Suzuki reviews it. He sounded like he might in his Zen 3 review. (fingers crossed)

Stock issues I think its just going to be the same as all the other launches, Zen 3 launch day wasn't much better than Nvidia launch tbh. Will see if post launch stock replenishment is better or not. But with Nvidia seeing people who pre-ordered at launch without cards yet is pretty bad IMO. If Zen 3 continues to be bad you can assume 6800xt will be the exact same.

One positive note people are starting to get 3090s I see and can even see some select models of the 3090 coming back into stock even. Obviously far less demand but still its something.

Interesting take on the partial shortages of RTX3080s from MLID.
Worth a listen and should draw outrage if true.

It’s baloney.

NVIDIA has had a real struggle with supply of GDDR6X which is why they’ve struggled with the 80 and 90 more than they have the 70. Even so, the supplies of the 80 and 90 at launch were in similar numbers to the 10 series cards.

The issue this time around there have been masses of bots, piled on top of a mountain of hype, and because of the above and the resulting shortages, everybody ordering multiple cards, piling on every card that comes into stock, which kills supply even more. See toilet rolls.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.4%
  • Full game

Votes: 177 25.5%
  • CPU

Votes: 81 11.7%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 78 11.2%