Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

My EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra arrived at 7:30p last night. Got it installed and did some quick checks with a single 4k monitor in AMS2, rF2, AC, & ACC. Ran out of time before checking Raceroom.

So far it is everything I expected and I will review triple 4k performance in depth in each of the sims' forums respectively. Rather than reporting performance at maximum graphic settings, I'll post the settings that give me at least 60 fps under the most demanding conditions (maximum AI visible, start of race, and a rainy night where supported). For rF2, I'm arbitrarily selecting maximum AI cars as 42, which seems a reasonable compromise that happens to coincide with stock car oval racing and covers a decent-size LeMans or other endurance race without ridiculously selecting 90 AI in a VLN race.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Wow, 3080Ti January? So soon or fake news?
According to news from the Taiwan board manufacturer, NVIDIA has confirmed that it will launch the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti in January. The price is estimated at US$999 against AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT. The GPU specifications are very similar to the GeForce RTX 3090, but the memory is frequent. The bandwidth will be reduced from 384bit to 320bit, and the memory capacity will be reduced from 24GB to 20GB GDDR6X. NVIDIA is waiting to see that AMD’s new cards cannot be ignored.

According to the information obtained, NVIDIA is planning to launch "GeForce RTX 3080 Ti". The positioning will be between RTX 3090 and RTX 3080. It will use GA102-250-KD-A1 graphics core, PG133-SKU15 PCB design, and built-in The same 10496 CUDA Cores as RTX 3090, but the memory configuration is reduced to 20GB GDDR6X VRAM, 320-bit memory interface. RTX 3080 Ti will have the same TGP as RTX 3080, which is controlled at the level of 320W, and also does not support NVLink.

In terms of price, the Taiwanese board manufacturer stated that the RTX 3080 Ti is estimated to be priced at USD 999. It has to be said that the "GeForce RTX 3080 Ti" is more attractive than the GeForce RTX 3090 at the asking price of US$1,499, making AMD Radeon The price and memory capacity advantages of the RX 6900 XT have completely disappeared.

Wow, 3080Ti January? So soon or fake news?
Easily could be that soon, but what will the availability be?

Edit: Not to mention that slotting it between the 3080 and the 3090 is pitiful slicing of the performance difference between 3080 & 3090.

Last edited:
So far it is everything I expected and I will review triple 4k performance in depth in each of the sims' forums respectively.

Thought I'd have some results posted today, but the center monitor started flaking out and I've spent a bunch of time tracking it down to a faulty video cable.

Last edited:
Easily could be that soon, but what will the availability be?

Edit: Not to mention that slotting it between the 3080 and the 3090 is pitiful slicing of the performance difference between 3080 & 3090.

If the specifications are correct per that article, then the new RTX3080Ti is what...somewhere between the 0 to 10 percent range over the current RTX3080...but with10GB additional VRAM?
Basically $300 for a small percentage bump and an additional 10GB video buffer?
Who here would go for that?
I wouldn't...for the same reason I wouldn't go for a 6900XT over a 6800XT.
Eight CU aren't worth $300 either.
$300 seems to be the 'new' magic number.
That's a lot of dinners.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think I backed the wrong horse with the card I selected, it seems to be stocked a lot less than other versions (gigabyte gaming OC).. Had another look around at other suppliers than Overclockers but I don't think there's really a good alternative to sitting in the cue. Amazon UK had a 3080 listed for £1300, supply is obviously still low enough that some companies are comfortable with gouging their customers.

I'm beginning to think I backed the wrong horse with the card I selected, it seems to be stocked a lot less than other versions (gigabyte gaming OC).. Had another look around at other suppliers than Overclockers but I don't think there's really a good alternative to sitting in the cue. Amazon UK had a 3080 listed for £1300, supply is obviously still low enough that some companies are comfortable with gouging their customers.
I feel your pain however it is hard to fault a company for wanting to maximize profit for an entertainment product. There is obviously people willing to pay. I think of gouging when prices are high for basic items during disasters.

I feel your pain however it is hard to fault a company for wanting to maximize profit for an entertainment product. There is obviously people willing to pay. I think of gouging when prices are high for basic items during disasters.
I can fault a company for showing it's customers that it's willing to overcharge them (by a lot) given half a chance. It's really bad form and not good for the reputation of a legitimate business. It's one thing if scalpers do it, but there's no reason for a legitimate business to do it, they have their margins worked out.

High prices during a disaster I think are more understandable because the costs go up at every link in the supply chain. It may not be that the end supplier is changing more, just passing on the costs that they incurred. Maybe that shop paid over the odds for the card, but that's not the conclusion that customers will jump too. But your right, it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not they'll pay it.

@Turk hang on in there if you possibly can, depending on your queue position.

OCUK have just started to receive some Gigabyte cards after a long wait. The numbers aren't large just yet but it has gone from weeks of nothing to a slow stream that will start to flow a little better from now onward. My Vision arrived today and I believe some Gaming OCs have arrived and shipped over the last few days.

@Turk hang on in there if you possibly can, depending on your queue position.

OCUK have just started to receive some Gigabyte cards after a long wait. The numbers aren't large just yet but it has gone from weeks of nothing to a slow stream that will start to flow a little better from now onward. My Vision arrived today and I believe some Gaming OCs have arrived and shipped over the last few days.
I think I should have dropped below 300 (I'm at 335 now), that's just going by the forum, I haven't got an update by email yet.

I am going to stick with it, I gave up being a cue hopper, it never works out in my favour at the supermarket so I won't chance it here either. I'm just hoping it comes before the Christmas break, it's the only time of the year I get a guaranteed 2 weeks off.

If the specifications are correct per that article, then the new RTX3080Ti is what...somewhere between the 0 to 10 percent range over the current RTX3080...but with10GB additional VRAM?
Basically $300 for a small percentage bump and an additional 10GB video buffer?
Who here would go for that?

A lot of buyers, in fact probably the majority, want to judge a product by a single number, at most 2, and the number must be easily accessible. A hard number in the official specs like the amount of RAM is the best candidate, followed by an easily computable (from manufacturer's specs) number such as memory bandwidth. "Speed" is way too complex for a majority of computer buyers.

If you puts 3070, 3080, supposed 3080ti and 3090 in a row based on those two numbers you see excellent progression and casual buyers buy the highest one according to their budget.

What did MSI do? I must be out of the loop. My hated brand is Asus :)
They supplied a USA retailer with a handful or two of RTX 3080s and the retailer proceeded to scalp them (on eBay?). The retailer's scheme was "outed", MSI said they weren't aware of the retailer's intention and forced the retailer to refund the excess profit to the customers. Computer enthusiasts blame MSI more than the retailer.

LOL about ASUS as I feel the same way, though it might be time for me to revisit the grudge I've held against them since circa 2008 and just consider the merits of their hardware individually. Their RTX 3090 is definitely one that appears strong in reviews, however I did manage to get one from EVGA, so it's a moot point to me now.

What did MSI do? I must be out of the loop. My hated brand is Asus :)

As above with price gouging, but they also have a history of doing various shady things such as intimidating smaller reviewers into not publishing reviews which criticised them, giving reviewers faster cards than the public, few other things as well that I can’t think of offhand.

Reactions: dud
  • Deleted member 197115

1605235558582.png

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 118 27.2%
  • Full game

Votes: 101 23.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 53 12.2%
  • Graphics card