The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

WIP of more work on my Slea Head track. Trying out 3d islands for the Blasket Isles rather than just flat billboard textures, it adds real feeling of depth to the Dunmore Head area and works better with atmospheric modifiers .

View attachment 539372

Looking forward to this! Some spot. Went down for the spin last august. Not a tour bus in sight!

IMG-20210813-WA0011.jpg

Hello, people of the WIP
I'm working on this since a few days, I need to do the outfit for the pilot and the banners for the pit, as well as materials tweaking for the stickers and the paint (it seems way too reflective, I need to lower it a bit)
Very dark, almost black blue on a Ferrari 330 P4, looks way better than red imo
185247_bst_china-ks_ferrari_330_p4-unknown-modified.jpg
184858_bst_china-ks_ferrari_330_p4-unknown-modified.jpg

the servers of Racedepartment ffs.. why is it slow ? It's like I'm back in 2005 goddamnit

Last edited:
Still working on a conversion/re-build of Crystal Palace 69.
I have done a lot of research, but still some things are unclear.
- I believe on the main straight there were no real grandstands in the 60's but the Palace ruins were covered with soil to create a 'natural' grandstand?
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_zw_crystalpalace1968_13-2-122-19-55-44.jpg
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_zw_crystalpalace1968_13-2-122-19-57-26.jpg

Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_zw_crystalpalace1968_13-2-122-19-55-56.jpg

Last edited:
So here's a little update on what I'm working on right now; it's a kart track in the UK called Bayford Meadows. I've pretty much laid down all of the track and surrounding terrain, I've started to put down tires and now moving on to fences. Lots to add but it's moving forwards.. Kerbs are going to be physical models, lots of flags, lights etc as well as people and other props still to come!

It's looking great in AC with GrassFX doing a lot of the heavy lifting for me.
BayfordMeadows-Progress02.jpg

Last edited:
Still working on a conversion/re-build of Crystal Palace 69.
I have done a lot of research, but still some things are unclear.
- I believe on the main straight there were no real grandstands in the 60's but the Palace ruins were covered with soil to create a 'natural' grandstand?

Really, really looking forward to this one. Will ask a couple of people that were there, but I believe there was seating on the banks, you can just about make it out here:

Though you're right that they just seem to follow the contours of the land, rather than being specifically manufactured that way:

Looks like the seats were added mid 60s though, not much evidence of them in 1961 here:

I think you've cursed me to spend the evening watching late 60s touring car races from Crystal Palace on YouTube now!

If you skip to 6 minutes in here you'll see some shots from within the grandstands... though I advise watching the 6 minutes, it's great racing:

Last edited:
that looks pretty awesome already. Do you have real old photos or are you sorta eyeballing it?

one thing that may be worth a normal map is that this old type of half framed wall wasn't flush, but the "white" part typically stood out like a centimeter from the wood:
w.jpg

not typically with a bevel like here, but I hope you understand. No idea if it was maybe done differently in the UK.

this is better, from my hometown actually:
04-einbeck-m-9-enkhfp-jpg--72600-.jpg

Last edited:
These "Fachwerkhäuser" as they are called, have been built in either style, but the flush plastering was probably the more common one, at least in places away from the town center.

These "Fachwerkhäuser" as they are called, have been built in either style, but the flush plastering was probably the more common one, at least in places away from the town center.
I also feel that the 'flush' plastering is used more often than not.
I grew up in a part of Germany where these houses are very common.

Latest News

Back