The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

In addition to the winter skin, Circuit du laquais will soon be updated to its 2021 specs with the new buildings. Will try to add the CSP flags as well.
laquais_2021.jpg

With some smart UV decision, the whole building fits on a 4k texture set done in Substance, which allows me to bake the ambiant occlusion in the diffuse which gives the building a nice realistic look. Close up are not to bad thanks to texture detail.
So I might use the same system for the older building.
A lot of additional details are still missing so some work to do... But it's taking shape.
I'm also working on a kind of hybrid trees, that tries to have the best of both world of Y trees and 3D trees (more like improving Y trees with some 3D feature without the popping and mushy look of 3D trees). And so far it's not bad. But it's a story for an another time... ;)

Last edited:
In addition to the winter skin, Circuit du laquais will soon be updated to its 2021 specs with the new buildings. Will try to add the CSP flags as well.
View attachment 501612

With some smart UV decision, the whole building fits on a 4k texture set done in Substance, which allows me to bake the ambiant occlusion in the diffuse which gives the building a nice realistic look. Close up are not to bad thanks to texture detail.
So I might use the same system for the older building.
A lot of additional details are still missing so some work to do... But it's taking shape.
I'm also working on a kind of hybrid trees, that tries to have the best of both world of Y trees and 3D trees (more like improving Y trees with some 3D feature without the popping and mushy look of 3D trees). And so far it's not bad. But it's a story for an another time... ;)

Great track just getting better :):thumbsup:

Today I made something rather special. :whistling:
I made a "Forza Horizon" size map. Roughly 64km² (8x8). The point was to have realistic geometry for terrain. The whole thing use one splat map that dispatch 4 texture details (so far grass, mosses, rocks and sediments). Polycount for terrain is 2 millions down to 500k for optimisation. Separated in 16 tiles to fit AC editor.
I put a road high up in the air to go around the map. The road is like 3 time the width of a normal road and hundreds of meters in the air.... To go around it took me 12 long minutes at 250 km/h.
It's just a test and a baby step, but potential is huge.
island_map_giant.jpg

Last edited:
I made a "Forza Horizon" size map. Roughly 64km² (8x8). The point was to have realistic geometry for terrain. The whole thing use one splat map that dispatch 4 texture details (so far grass, mosses, rocks and sediments). Polycount for terrain is 2 millions down to 500k for optimisation. Separated in 16 tiles to fit AC editor.
I put a road high up in the air to go around the map. The road is like 3 time the width of a normal road and hundreds of meters in the air.... To go around it took me 12 long minutes at 250 km/h.
View attachment 501759
Terrain is looking fancy! Did you make it with a terrain generator?

View attachment 501759
In what is this process different from other big maps like LA Canyons or Shutoko?

View attachment 501759
Looking good indeed!
Now good luck with conforming the road to the terrain (or vice versa) in a nice way.
That's been probably the longest for me, to have a clean mesh matching the road perfectly etc.
If you find an automated way that works every time, I'll give you a medal :p

Looking good indeed!
Now good luck with conforming the road to the terrain (or vice versa) in a nice way.
That's been probably the longest for me, to have a clean mesh matching the road perfectly etc.
If you find an automated way that works every time, I'll give you a medal :p
yeah that's the tough part.
Doing props and assets to fill the world is time consuming but easy.
Conforming roads to terrain is the real bitch. ^^
I tried to put a 5km uphill road this morning. Since I want to adjust camber of the road I'm using two splines (left and right) to generate the road mesh. So the road surface is actually engaging to drive. But then conforming the terrain needs a lot of adjustment. I think for the most part I will sculpt (push/pull) the terrain to match at best then extrude faces from the side of the road and cover it with some dirt texture with alpha that merge in the terrain.
But yeah it's all manual. That being said I'm confident that once the process is tried, then it can be applied reasonably fast (Albeit all those special case scenario that are bound to happen ^^)
(And bravo for Union Island, it looks really fantastic already :thumbsup:)

Latest News

Back