The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Wheel arches and front/rear bumpers done. Facias still need integration, rear panel not done yet. Hood and front fender around pop up headlights still need adjustment as does C pillar but it's in one piece again.

2RaF7ZJ.jpg

0B2p3z0.jpg

tlLIrcH.jpg

Wheel arches are super hard to get right on this car, it's like 3 lines that run from the front bumper to the rear in changing angles and distances...that said, finally got those two horizontal character lines in the rear bumper to diffuse into the wheel arch right.

RHzPDvR.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure I can keep everything except interior below 200k with all missing details and optimization without using subdivision and still get a smooth surface all around.

IfXSlm5.png

Xj1t5iG.png

ZOEB6wZ.jpg

Finishing and optimizing 5 sets of wheels and 4 sets of bodykit is pure bliss :roflmao:

Bottom pic shows how as soon as you introduce textures and transparency to headlights good looks go out the window. Pop ups work with transparent and diffused material on the glass. Bottom lights are barely visible behind a transparent and very dark texture. Will see how it looks in KS Editor in a few days.

NJlX8F0.jpg

Decided to follow the path of the P13 rather than the Russell-Alexis, and do textured Dzus and rivets instead of modeling them. Largely because this car's sheetmetal is entirely riveted on so the interior has maybe 200 rivets. I also made some nice nut-on-bolts but haven't placed any yet.

Today being a texture day anyway, I traced out the brand logo.
ti27yf0.png

Might end up tweaking the silver, this is just a GIMP built-in "horizon" gradient. On the car it can be reflective.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I can keep everything except interior below 200k with all missing details and optimization without using subdivision and still get a smooth surface all around.

IfXSlm5.png

Xj1t5iG.png

ZOEB6wZ.jpg

Finishing and optimizing 5 sets of wheels and 4 sets of bodykit is pure bliss :roflmao:

Bottom pic shows how as soon as you introduce textures and transparency to headlights good looks go out the window. Pop ups work with transparent and diffused material on the glass. Bottom lights are barely visible behind a transparent and very dark texture. Will see how it looks in KS Editor in a few days.

Looking stunning, man!

Wheel arches and front/rear bumpers done. Facias still need integration, rear panel not done yet. Hood and front fender around pop up headlights still need adjustment as does C pillar but it's in one piece again.

2RaF7ZJ.jpg

0B2p3z0.jpg

tlLIrcH.jpg

Wheel arches are super hard to get right on this car, it's like 3 lines that run from the front bumper to the rear in changing angles and distances...that said, finally got those two horizontal character lines in the rear bumper to diffuse into the wheel arch right.

RHzPDvR.jpg
Looking stunning indeed !
before going calling the exterior done, and go through the hassle of baking etc.
i would adjust some hard edges
like this for example :
1582023059233.png
where you will need to bring the existing line of edge closer to make it look sharper
or create a new line of edges to make it sharper

and to make more sense, i'll quote @garyjpaterson and his post here :

hope this helps!

NJlX8F0.jpg

Decided to follow the path of the P13 rather than the Russell-Alexis, and do textured Dzus and rivets instead of modeling them. Largely because this car's sheetmetal is entirely riveted on so the interior has maybe 200 rivets. I also made some nice nut-on-bolts but haven't placed any yet.

Today being a texture day anyway, I traced out the brand logo.
ti27yf0.png

Might end up tweaking the silver, this is just a GIMP built-in "horizon" gradient. On the car it can be reflective.
Careful to not get the banana sucked into the intake! :p

Looking stunning indeed !
before going calling the exterior done, and go through the hassle of baking etc.
i would adjust some hard edges
like this for example :​
where you will need to bring the existing line of edge closer to make it look sharper
or create a new line of edges to make it sharper

and to make more sense, i'll quote @garyjpaterson and his post here :

hope this helps!

Thanks man! And also thanks for linking to Gary's post I hadn't seen that. That said, that is what I mean with optimization, in no way did I want to call it done. You see the same irregularities between wheel arch and the body extensions front and rear, around the door handle, rear panel from trunklid across the 3/4 panel down through the rear light edges, etc. etc.

When I truly think I'm done I'll post a wireframe of the whole car to collect feedback from you gusy on which areas need more attention. Thing is, I originally modeled this using subdivison and abandoned that approach after @A3DR mentioned it's best to model a smooth body without subdivision and seams. This is what I'm coming from (with 3 times the geometry which was obviously overkill)...

YCwoma5.jpg

CwuLYT0.jpg

Goal is to get to that smoothness again with the current 'low-poly' main body.

• Deleted member 223075

Helmet almost finished, release this afternoon
m67i.jpg

NjAhHR2.jpg

I do have to put the driver in the right place at some point but it's much easier once there's a seat.

More rows of rivets (it's up to 130 ish with a few obvious missing ones around the feet, so my guesstimate of 200 was fair), added the glass bulge and the fairly subtle inside edges of the glass.

It doesn't really have real physics but it's nice to imagine driving the Targa Florio in it. Someday...

The #80 Huber Motorsport entry from the 2019 VLN season is available for download as part of the VLN 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Skinpack here on RaceDepartment NOW!

rd_01.jpg

The #80 Huber Motorsport entry from the 2019 VLN season is available for download as part of the VLN 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Skinpack here on RaceDepartment NOW!

View attachment 350781

Beauty! Thanks :)

IfXSlm5.png

Since you quoted me before about the subdivisions thing, I'm not sure if that came across correctly. You clearly NEED to subdivide that mesh a bit more to have smoother edges, specially around the roof pillars, and to avoid having reflection issues on the wheel arches with so much triangulation going on there.
Check out this polygon flow, it's below 170k triangles without interior (to compare with your 200k limit), that amount of density allows you to keep the seams and cuts more even and smooth than having fewer subdivisions in the mesh.

Screenshot_3.jpg

All this subdivisions talk.... :whistling:

Since you quoted me before about the subdivisions thing, I'm not sure if that came across correctly. You clearly NEED to subdivide that mesh a bit more to have smoother edges, specially around the roof pillars, and to avoid having reflection issues on the wheel arches with so much triangulation going on there.
Check out this polygon flow, it's below 170k triangles without interior (to compare with your 200k limit), that amount of density allows you to keep the seams and cuts more even and smooth than having fewer subdivisions in the mesh.

View attachment 350808

All this subdivisions talk.... :whistling:

I like the fact that you not only brought my dream car (the 993) to AC, but also seem to be a fellow Rush fan. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Back