The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Right, that's just about 'nuff irrelevant flight sim chat.

Reworked front and rear wheel arches including the inner and outer character lines, outer one actually runs from front to rear bumper and still needs to be beveled.

3ZQQC7d.png

Rear still needs to be welded back in.

QJIYisa.png

6RiyXt4.png

The pleasures of rebuilding your model post abandoning subdivision modeling.

Front bumper edges and headlight frames smoothed out, still need to be beveled. B12 logo resized and moved to the right, ALPINA logo was also in the wrong spot. Still can't figure out how to get textures to show transparency in Blender so no headlight textures for now.

2NaqooB.png

18" Style 37 wheel almost finished, star is almost finalized, the rim still needs to lose some double edges. Valve added and M logo resized/moved up. Also added the five tiny holes.

4b7a0rw.png

Non-wireframe:

jr2vRhi.png

PGvNbIB.png

Last edited:
Sorry for that misunderstanding. If it comes to commercial sims like fsx dcs etc you are right. These are not as complex in physics but for me they aren't proper sim software. They are more like arcade or simcade software. But as i have a deeper look in the new msfs2020 i can tell that this is more complex in physics but it is because it's brand new. Maybe new simracing software will be as complex as the msfs2020.

aZSosig.jpg

I released I guess 5 cars between the Formula Ford and this (more like 3 cars, a van, a banana, panama) and I think I've gotten better at meta-modeling, mostly in terms of saying "can't see what's going on, so I'll model something plausible and if it causes issues then I'll adjust it, if not, one less thing on the list." It's easy to get stuck if you wait to do things until you're sure they're being done right in their final mode. And having something in place helps resolve other questions.

So there's a bunch of model under the nose which isn't based on much (I do have pics of the bare chassis but nothing of the backside of the nose piece, so it just goes wherever it needs to to not interrupt the suspension) and now it just needs the sidepods dealt with and I can add the flat metal floor that runs from front to back of the chassis.

Ref the recent chit-chat, what would people say is the most accurate physical representation of a real car in AC, as in how it drives and feels? Accepted, it probably doesn't actually feel anything like driving the real car due to a whole host of factors (our giblets sloshing around inside out bodies, fluid gushing around in our inner ears, and fear, real fear, to name but three) but what's the closest facsimile we've got so far?

Ref the recent chit-chat, what would people say is the most accurate physical representation of a real car in AC, as in how it drives and feels? Accepted, it probably doesn't actually feel anything like driving the real car due to a whole host of factors (our giblets sloshing around inside out bodies, fluid gushing around in our inner ears, and fear, real fear, to name but three) but what's the closest facsimile we've got so far?
IER's P13c is most likely the best researched mod car ever.

There are two discussions to be had. One is about what the best replication of a specific car is, the other is about what the best replication of the physics of a (type of) car is.

P13’s probably it for the latter, but the first is a bit more open - data is never completely accurate and tires are still one big estimation. For example, the FLM09 matches telemetry nearly as well as the P13, but who’s to say which is really closer (aero is touchy on both and that’s assuming any simulation model’s a great representation of real aero, which it isn’t). Different drivers will have (and have had) different opinions and even then, each car might be more accurate to its real counterpart within a specific range of setup/driving style/track conditions/etc. P13 is probably more representative of what’s possible for that kind of car overall, but maybe the real thing had nuances that make that approximation inaccurate.

Complicated...

I'm working on the Chevron b16 after the request of Medilloni. Personally I didn't hear about it before. You could see my progress in the Mod/App request thread. Here is the fourth day's progress:
day4.JPG

If you have any ideas, how to make it look better, please let me know.
Thanks to Medilloni, without you I would never hear about this car.

Do you have the Assetto Corsa SDK with only white and black models, or just I am noob?

I'd have to also go with one of the better made racecars. If you have enough data and know-how, you can get them damn close empirically. But nothing really can substitute pulling G's on the track in the heat of the cockpit.

Honestly I think some of my roadcars come close simply because the result is achieved in a legitimate manner from the same factors with which it's achieved IRL for the large part. It's not like that for most mod cars of the same chassis', so I think mine are a little closer than the average roadcar mod. More-so after I update like half of them soon to fix some noticeable issues, but nonetheless.

Here's the thing though, just because it's empirically relatively correct ie: do X, and Y result happens to 90%+ accuracy, doesn't mean it actually feels right. Feeling is IMO 50% sound, 25% visuals, 25% kinesthetics. We're usually lacking on sound and visuals aren't perfect most of the time. Think about that for a bit.

For roadcars it gets pretty difficult to produce an empiric result (R34 GT-R is a classic example due to electronics) due to various factors like weird systems they have, bushing flex or strange suspension geometries or springing options and it doesn't guarantee it'll be something that'd convince most people kinesthetically even when you do get the wheel to articulate correctly and the forces to be the correct magnitude in the right spots.

E30 is a good example, it's actually one of my most accurate cars probably. Yet due to the way sims generally handle pneumatic trail, it just doesn't feel right without some minor tweaks. As in I'm pretty sure the rack end forces are objectively wrong without modding the steering geometry. Car might behave correct output wise (The trail adjustment doesn't do much at all to the actual performance or behavior) but to the driver it'll feel completely off.
Imagine if the best simulated car had 0 FFB no matter what you do, had no sound and forced the graphics to be with only flat colors running at 30FPS. Doesn't matter how good the car is, then. ;)

As an anecdote, some of the more accurate cars in sims have the drivers who run them IRL heavily disagreeing on the behavior, with one guy saying it pushes way too much, other guy saying it's way too loose. Too many factors to explain why, and that includes how their real car is set up as well.

Well, on the road car side it's hard to imagine one built on more data than my upcoming WRX.

I own the car. I built the car. I spent 2 years physically measuring everything I could on the car, and I datalogged every parameter in the ECU that was relevant. I gathered a ton of deeper data from a variety of excellent forums. And I test it in game as its RL daily driver.

It's still pretty abstract. Translating real-world impressions into the sim is difficult and complicated. You're getting an incomplete experience of an approximation.

The answer to this question is fairly simple, I think. I'd pick the P13 simply because, all things being equal, it's built on CSP's extended physics and thereby has a greater realism envelope than any car on vanilla code could.

But they're all approximate, because at the end of the day this is still a video game. Just try to enjoy it.

Well, on the road car side it's hard to imagine one built on more data than my upcoming WRX.

I own the car. I built the car. I spent 2 years physically measuring everything I could on the car, and I datalogged every parameter in the ECU that was relevant. I gathered a ton of deeper data from a variety of excellent forums. And I test it in game as its RL daily driver.

It's still pretty abstract. Translating real-world impressions into the sim is difficult and complicated. You're getting an incomplete experience of an approximation.

The answer to this question is fairly simple, I think. I'd pick the P13 simply because, all things being equal, it's built on CSP's extended physics and thereby has a greater realism envelope than any car on vanilla code could.

But they're all approximate, because at the end of the day this is still a video game. Just try to enjoy it.
^uses a controller, opinion invalid

Latest News

Back