The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

How about those that always know better actually making the better models of those sought after cars?
i pass over 15 Euros for a DPI pack, or a LMP1 pack. instead we have 1 car with 1 real world livery.

And here people are wondering why racing fans, which i still assume are the majority of the community, are just happy with mods that feel right and have accurate pace.

So, you have driven at least one LMP-H in the real world to make this statement...I suppose.
you can definetly get a feel of the cars behaviour from onboards and videos, which sorry to say for purists who believe if its not hard its not realistic, seem like very easy to drive cars, which also always is the goal for the engineers, to make cars that are comfortable to drive in endurance racing.

Andre Lotterer in german saying its easier then you think, and thats in an even quicker car.

How about those that always know better actually making the better models of those sought after cars?
i pass over 15 Euros for a DPI pack, or a LMP1 pack. instead we have 1 car with 1 real world livery.

And here people are wondering why racing fans, which i still assume are the majority of the community, are just happy with mods that feel right and have accurate pace.

you can definetly get a feel of the cars behaviour from onboards and videos, which sorry to say for purists who believe if its not hard its not realistic, seem like very easy to drive cars, which also always is the goal for the engineers, to make cars that are comfortable to drive in endurance racing.

Andre Lotterer in german saying its easier then you think, and thats in an even quicker car.
I don't say anything about if it's hard or easy to drive.
What I'm saying is, if you said it behaves as should, that's because you have experience to compare with.

I don't say anything about if it's hard or easy to drive.
What I'm saying is, if you said it behaves as should, that's because you have experience to compare with.
that would imply that the VRC F1 cars can also never be considered accurate, even though its the overwhelming opinion. or are Alonso and Raikkonen behind VRC?

the debate about 100 percent accurate physics is always pointless, and a purity spiral.

If those capable to make the most wanted stuff dont do it, dont complain when others resort to conversions.
Especially without all those conversions where would AC really be?
I paid for every single mod i was interested in, cause i want more of that, thats why im happy URD is back on the scene.

i´ll never said that this car drives like a real lmp1 hybrid car. i just said that for me it feels like a lmp1 car. i mean it doesnt drive like a gt3 or a f1 car and also i never said that this mod is a high quality mod but it is also not the worst quality mod out there. believe me, there are some mods available which are much worse.

also i haven´t paid for this mod and also i´m not the developer. i have only make skins for this car

Because that one car took 2000 man hours and didn't come close to being worth it on a monetary level. If you had any idea what goes into that kind of project, you wouldn't be making such sweeping remarks. $15/car would barely be worth it, let alone for a full pack.

Accurate pace is not a difficult thing to achieve. You can make a van in AC that's +-2 seconds of LMP1 cars at every track.

And yes, they're not particularly difficult cars to drive. That's the difference between a manufacturer that put in 300 million a year and others that put in 20 million once.

• Deleted member 223075

So, you have driven at least one LMP-H in the real world to make this statement...I suppose.

I think he talk about comparate Kunos physic and this one (that appear similar for him), i suppose.

probably has kunos physics anyways
Using Kunos physics isnt a bad thing, they just have to be applied properly. i stumbled upon a Morgan Aero GT2 which lapped Laguna Seca like a LMP2. thats where the real problem is. when you dont put in the hours to test and to adjust the kunos base settings. Suddenly a car that you want as a filler becomes a car that runs circles around GT1 cars.

The developer (he is also a close friend) has told me that this car is his first mod for Assetto Corsa. He have studied the physics of the kunos lmp1h cars to understand how some things are working in assetto. Then he created the physics completely by himself.

He knows that physics are very important because he is a former developer of FlightSim Aircraft which are much more complicated than physics of racing cars.

He used a paid 3d model because first he wants to improve in making realistic physics and then he will try modelling his own model. And yes 90$ are very expensive but just look at the price of some flighsim addon. For him 90$ are nothing special. There you can see it:

1 car in AC = 5-10$
1 aircraft = 50-100$

And still this mod is in developement. It's a WIP

Using Kunos physics isnt a bad thing, they just have to be applied properly. i stumbled upon a Morgan Aero GT2 which lapped Laguna Seca like a LMP2. thats where the real problem is. when you dont put in the hours to test and to adjust the kunos base settings. Suddenly a car that you want as a filler becomes a car that runs circles around GT1 cars.
i.e. redone because they’re usually not accurate, even as just reference. LMP1 discussion quite relevant. TS040 is 80+ hp down from what it probably should be (actual number might be 110, don’t remember).

The developer (he is also a close friend) has told me that this car is his first mod for Assetto Corsa. He have studied the physics of the kunos lmp1h cars to understand how some things are working in assetto. Then he created the physics completely by himself.

He knows that physics are very important because he is a former developer of FlightSim Aircraft which are much more complicated than physics of racing cars.

He used a paid 3d model because first he wants to improve in making realistic physics and then he will try modelling his own model. And yes 90$ are very expensive but just look at the price of some flighsim addon. For him 90$ are nothing special. There you can see it:

1 car in AC = 5-10$
1 aircraft = 50-100$

And still this mod is in developement. It's a WIP
I have a fairly solid argument for flight sim physics not being that much more complex than car sim physics. A bit tangential to discussion though. Still a lot of blanket claims being thrown around.

I can tell you that flight sim physics are much more complex than sim racing physics. I am also developing aircrafts for flightsims. Just look what MS is doing in their new FlightSim. Assetto can't even reach that

Just look what MS is doing in their new FlightSim. Assetto can't even reach that
Visually its pretty astonishing, but seems like AC or other racing sims, just with the scale upped considerably, but regarding physics, weren't many of the "new" features in XPlane for a decade already?

Planes are of course more complex things than cars when it comes to how many switches and buttons you need and how many gizmos it has and flying sims are pretty anal about getting all that modelled and right. Driving sims don't really care about start up procedures at all. But when it comes down to physics engines a driving sim is basically flight sim with added tire physics, complex suspension kinematics, collision systems... Not just be able to collide with other cars and objects but it needs to drive on a surface suspended by 4 tires independently sprung and damped.., contact patch simulation etc.. Modern racing sim has to drive on essentially a point cloud. There is a lot more happening really fast. A flight sim can get away with a lot which would never work even in a simple mobile driving game.

Productive sunset in France:

7lKrJS0.jpg

Aircraft physics in commercial sims more complex than car physics in commercial sims?

Honestly, as someone who's devved both (Although in outdated flight sims), I'd have to disagree. The aero sim's not that complex; nor is actual plane aero anyway. I'd argue that underbody aero for racecars is more complex than anything going on with fixed wing aircraft. Then there's the whole "tires and suspension" thing which flightsims almost kind of don't do. Just rudimentary landing gear spring and tire.

Flightsims model some things a bit *better* than say, AC does, in terms of aero, but it's not that much more complex to actually dev or calculate IMO. I don't remember there being very complex chassis effects in older sims like IL-2 either, but that might have changed in the last 10 years.

I'd guess something like BMS or DCS is more complex, but actually most of it is still very likely 100% completely made up and not based on any data, and the calc itself is a big simplification.

For the majority of electronic systems like radar, FCS, targeting systems and the actual performance of the aircraft you can be sure most of it's pulled from nowhere because we actually don't have good information on the performance and capabilities of basically anything newer than an F-4. Hell, we don't have good info on most WWII planes, anyway.

Some procedures do seem to line up with the F-16 manual in BMS for example, but the actual capabilities of the systems are very big unknowns, and their simulation is simplified to say the least. Last I checked, SEAD/DEAD is really deepfried in all the flightsims and radar missiles (probably) have significantly differing capabilities from what they seem to be IRL. Although I haven't touched a modern plane sim in some years so it could also have changed.

In terms of devving, most of it is based on loose data from manuals which may or may not be manipulated for propaganda reasons, at least in the WWII field. Most planes don't seem to fly correctly at all and the majority of the values are guessed based on some rules of thumb and performance. Seem to be more serious for DCS and whatnot, but you can be sure most of it's guessed and they don't have access to the good stuff.

Just my 0.02, because I almost know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, here's what I've been working on. ;)

20200204081759_1.jpg

If i'm speaking about flightsims i don't mean the stuff like IL2, dcs, FSX or xplane. What i am talking about is the flightsim software which is used by professional airlines and manufactures like boeing or airbus to train their pilots. And their software is based on real data. So believe me it is more complex than any sim software because i am also developing physics for ac and other racing sims and also for aircrafts in professional flightsim software

Alright, fair enough. I'd like to believe *non-commercial* flightsims are a bit better than the commercial ones. There's a reason I made the distinction. I'd also wager that the USAF DCS that they use for training is also more accurate in terms of some systems than what us civvies get. Further than that, I don't know, no experience.

You made it sound like your average consumer sim ie: IL-2, DCS, FSX etc. are much more complex than your average consumer racing sim; which I'd have to disagree with for the most part.

Latest News

Back