Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Hello guys,

here David García from The Black Rebels sim racing team. www.theblackrebels.com

Let me introduce you my latest cockpit, actually de third I build for my own and privated use. I am adding some pictures of it and of the creation process and as you will see it is a hand made 100%.

In the first set of pics you will see the wood cut and the first paint on it, even some seat, scren placing test. I am in charge of setting all the measures for the cut:
65526955.jpg

11942215.jpg

18543985.jpg

29972121.jpg

87426249.jpg

96950570.jpg

In the second round of pictures you will see the vinyl add on the wood. I designed the whole thing and was though work with that hughe images of 1,90 mts long! :mrgreen:
86309360.jpg

11912032.jpg

48657540.jpg

And here my final thing, what my wife calls "Your Lair" and what I call, my "Sim Racing Lair" wich makes a hughe diference in my opinion...
77361694.jpg

65507007.jpg

35500653.jpg

31615413.jpg

And here the whole thing:
93650137.jpg

My new equipment includes:
Intel Core I7
Gygabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Hard Disk SSD OZC VERTEX 3
nVidea GeForce GTX 570
16 Gb Memory
LG Full HD 37" Screen
Track IR
EC Sim Hardware Shifter (to be received)
Derek Speare Wheel Control System and & Button Box (to be mounted)
OMP Touring Car Seat

Hope you like it!

• Deleted member 17730

Hello guys,

here David García from The Black Rebels sim racing team. www.theblackrebels.com

Let me introduce you my latest cockpit, actually de third I build for my own and privated use. I am adding some pictures of it and of the creation process and as you will see it is a hand made 100%.

In the first set of pics you will see the wood cut and the first paint on it, even some seat, scren placing test. I am in charge of setting all the measures for the cut:
65526955.jpg

11942215.jpg

18543985.jpg

29972121.jpg

87426249.jpg

96950570.jpg

In the second round of pictures you will see the vinyl add on the wood. I designed the whole thing and was though work with that hughe images of 1,90 mts long! :mrgreen:
86309360.jpg

11912032.jpg

48657540.jpg

And here my final thing, what my wife calls "Your Lair" and what I call, my "Sim Racing Lair" wich makes a hughe diference in my opinion...
77361694.jpg

65507007.jpg

35500653.jpg

31615413.jpg

And here the whole thing:
93650137.jpg

My new equipment includes:
Intel Core I7
Gygabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Hard Disk SSD OZC VERTEX 3
nVidea GeForce GTX 570
16 Gb Memory
LG Full HD 37" Screen
Track IR
EC Sim Hardware Shifter (to be received)
Derek Speare Wheel Control System and & Button Box (to be mounted)
OMP Touring Car Seat

Hope you like it!
Do you have an instructions if someone else wanted to do something similar to that?

• Deleted member 17730

@ Geran: PM me and I will give you any info you need. No problem. I am attaching a big size picture if you want to see it with detail.

@ Georgios: Thank you very much mate! It took around... 1 or 2 weeks to get it all ready.
David,

Your PM box is full. My email address is brown/geran /at/ gmail (dot) com

Thanks,
Geran

this is a video of me trying a sim racing rig in london at the excel centre yesterday, great fun, 3d, head tracking (Wasnt working when i tried shame really), g27 wheel, fantec crs pedals (i believe deffo fantec).

It was really nice i want it because it also moves but not to much so it doesnt feel your in a tumble dryer but enough to get the real sensation of driving at speed round corners and hitting the brakes.

However with a £20,000 price tag i will have to pass

David cockpit give me the push to do something I was wishing for a while, so I start with the chassis:

img9880p.jpg

img9882pd.jpg

Testing if things fitted ok:
img9883p.jpg

The way to quickly remove the wheel and turn the rig in just a PC desk:
img9887p.jpg

Assembly the body to the chassis:
img9897p.jpg

With the PC in is place and cables connected for a final test:
img9900p.jpg

img0002pdi.jpg

Now is very easy to have the wheel off or on, everything is in the same structure, the PC, sound system, modem, battery, so I can move it easily to everywhere I want.

But, I still need to finish a few details and after yesterday tests it seems that the shifter is too close to the wheel, I think I will put it on the outside of the cockpit.

Wow that looks great.... love the keyboard wheel solution. im working on that at the moment, adapting a gtomega for deul purpose. i cant do wood but as a fab welder i can do metal..... RESPECT...

Couple suggestions: a door to get in and out much easier and move the screen closer. My screen sits in top of wheel casing, about 14cm from the steering wheel. That movable steering wheel "column" is good idea.

I just installed the pneumatic cylinders (couple of syringes linked) under brake and throttle pedal. It's nice that the pressure now varies. It has a little built in overpressure but the maximum pressure is when both pedals are pressed. Feels good when feathering the gas/brake, it basically lifts throttle pedal when brakes are applied and vice versa. The syringes returns to default position slowly (under 2 seconds from max to min), it gives a nice indication where the throttle was before lift. like a memory. Don't know yet if they help at all, just feels nice to have a new feel and adds little more resistance to otherwise awful momo pedals. They were modded before, changed the spring mountings to stiffer setting, added a foot rest, don't know what else can i do with them.

Couple suggestions: a door to get in and out much easier and move the screen closer. My screen sits in top of wheel casing, about 14cm from the steering wheel. That movable steering wheel "column" is good idea.

For now even with no door it's easy to get in, with the wheel up and the keyboard table under the screen one, there's plenty of space to get in or out. About the screen closer, I still have doubts if my eyes will like it, but there's room to move it closer.

For now even with no door it's easy to get in, with the wheel up and the keyboard table under the screen one, there's plenty of space to get in or out. About the screen closer, I still have doubts if my eyes will like it, but there's room to move it closer.

I had that doubt too but these flat screens are much easier on the eyes as they flicker a lot less. CRT refresh the whole screen in every frame, flat panels update only the stuff that actually changes between frames. Big CRT also has the disadvantage that the closer you got, the more the flicker started to show on peripheral vision as our eyes register rapid movement better at the sides of... (aaargghh, can't find a word... let's use Field Of View....) at the sides, that peripheral part of vision. At the center is more of the colour information and pattern recognitions. Actually, at the far edge of eyes FOV you can't see colors at all.

This is easily tested with flourescent lamps or 50 Hz CRT monitors; when staring straight picture is smooth and when slowly turning eyes away the 50hz flicker becomes painfully obvious.. The main reason for my migrain is when something is blinking at very edge of my personal FOV, it makes me brain go haywire.. I haven't had any migrain attacks because of my flat panel so i could move it as close as possible. 23" screen feels a lot larger when it's closer, right?.. It's still at arms length, which should be really good distance. A lot of people have the screen much closer with out any difficulties.

Latest News

Back