Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Thanks all !

And Jim I just had to adjust angle of the mountingplate of that monitor, it was only 1.5mm off lol but it showed.
Now the screen is perfectly straight next to the one in the middle.

Very nicely done and explained. Would like to hear more about what caused the issue with the monitor gap and how you fixed it though :)

And be my guest George, if it gives you ideas go with it ! :)

SimcockpitMockup.jpg

Very impressive craftmanship. I didn't want to quote the whole post to save bandwidth but I was wondering if you can give some general DIY advice on making a wheel stand/desk with MDF.

What thickness of MDF do you use and how do you bond the pieces together, screws or nails (what size) and does adhesive add strength too? Are the joints grooved or just flat? Many thanks.

From the looks of it, he is probably using 1/2" MDF. The joints should be flat, not grooved unless he went totally nuts on it. and it looks like he used screws, at least I would to be sure of the strength. You would want to use 1" to 1.5" screws to be sure that things were held together tightly. You can also apply glue, but it all depends on if you want to be able to take it apart again later on. For myself I would drill and set dowels as well as using glue for an absolutely solid assembly on the final. I would then take wood putty and fill in on top of the screws to hide them, stain the whole thing and then a light coat of paint to give it a gloss. :)

Thanks for the tips. Yeah my initial thought was to use dowels, glue and screws just to make absolutely sure it's solid as a rock :)

Thanks for the compliment but I am far from a craftman or a pro in this though !
Just got the tools and some experience which helps I guess, but there is so much you can do with wood in general that I would rate myself a noob still hehe :D

As for this thing I used 12mm MDF, will check which size screws I used, think 0.6x2.5cm there abouts.
Mind you when I do the final assembly in my new house it will be screwless on the outside. Will only use screws on invisible parts and for the rest glew and dowels. Few changes will be made to the design and need to use the router on it still which I can't now due the screws.
don't want any pointy edges anywhere specially since my 2 year old nephew likes to climb in it and play with the wheel lol.
And ye will fill every hole with filler as I said in my post and make it smooth as possible before putting some shiny paint on there.

If you want I can send you the google sketchup design so you see how I have every panel mounted and the dimensions even.

And to Jim, yes your spot on ! You could indeed go nuts and groove the MDF and what not. Kept it simple for now and will see for the final how I will get on with it.
Very impressive craftmanship. I didn't want to quote the whole post to save bandwidth but I was wondering if you can give some general DIY advice on making a wheel stand/desk with MDF.

What thickness of MDF do you use and how do you bond the pieces together, screws or nails (what size) and does adhesive add strength too? Are the joints grooved or just flat? Many thanks.

my setup

Intel E8500 @4.22, 4Gig RAM, EVGA GTX470 OC, Soundblaster X-Fi platinum, Nvidia 3-D vision, Mits 60" DLP, Freetrack w/ TIR 4 camera, Logitech Z-5500, Fanatec GTR2 CS...

Next upgrade will be a SimXperience motion rig.

P2243479.jpg

P2243490.jpg

P2243513.jpg

P2243518.jpg

Well. It's all built now. I'll post up my thoughts in a short while, I'm just sorting out the photos. I'm probably 60-70% happy?

Anyway, back in a bit with some updates.

NWD

P1020367.jpg
P1020368-1.jpg
New wheel day!
I just received my new Thrustmaster wheel today and will be spending a lot of time getting used to it. I was getting tired of the FFB dead zone I've been feeling on my old G25, and i have felt that the brake pot was going bad on the pedals.
My first plan was to get a Fanatec wheel, but I'm impatient and wasn't going to wait months for a wheel and all the negative feedback really turned me off.
I know some will think it is crazy for a mediocre driver like myself to spend so much on a wheel,and I know it will not make me faster, but I plan to continue this hobby for a long time, so it's an investment for me. A investment that I hope will improve my consistency.
I'm currently using the G25 shifter with it but I plan on making my own sequential shifter and will probably purchase a TSW H shifter.
I've tried it out so far with iRacing and rFactor WTM mod and I already notice that the steering feels more precise. The FFB does not feel as strong as the G25 but that may be my settings.I have to do some tweaking to see it it improves.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or pm me.

Latest News

Back