Show us your Rig / Cockpit

I have a playseat and added the buttkicker looking at a 62" TV. It's great but I had to weld it because the way they mount it on their website it just ain't gonna hold up. You just gonna end up with some stripped threads, and my experience was that it loosened the bolt after not even 1 hour of play. I was looking for a 15/16 outside dia. tube to weld but couldn't find it so I used the socket. I sanded out the powder coating on the base tube, then grinded the chrome finish on the bottom of the socket so I could get a metal to metal weld. No I don't have to worry about the threads getting stripped by the vibration.
photo1.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 119
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 339
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 300
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 305
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 293
IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0009.jpg
So, I have to start off by thanking everyone for sharing their ideas and pics with the community. Also, this would have never been realized withoug ChadSmith20's awesome plans and pics. Thanks so much for inspiring me man!

The rig is built out of steel tubing. Had to do all the drilling myself without the aid of a drill press. It was less expensive to use than the perforrated tubing but a lot more work. Using a Logitech G25 wheel/shifter/pedal combo. Had to upgrade the video card to a Sapphire HD 6950 to run the monitors in eyfinity. The monitors are all 24" Philips. Have to take credit for the "roll-bar" padding idea to hide all the cables involved.

This really is a dream come true for me. I have an idea of how to put a removable half-sized roof on it to help with the whole enclosed feeling while not running open wheelers but for now I'm going to enjoy it as is before putting in that time. 20 years of sim racing. Still love it this much!

RJ

Nice vacuum cleaner there :) Good setup as well - is the steering wheel table adjustable at all?

Great! Now I'm gonna have to retake all the pics.....I was hoping nobody would notice! :wink:

The steering wheel table is not adjustable, but it could be. I know Chad Smith's one is but I have been using wheels in about that position for years now. I attached them with some L brackets to the tubing. Then when I build the monitor mount I attached it in such a way that it supports it at the rear so there is no chance for it to move.

Now.....on to retake those pics!

RJ

A quick little addendum until I get a tripod and some time. I have finally gotten my little 9" dell netbook to tuck where I always wanted it to and with the new wheel I can even see it! So I modified my rfSkinHud a bit as I lose the bottom half of the screen but it functions so well.

Very creative. I had seen a post somewhere that someone had actually used a real car cut in 2 lengthwise and then cut off the nose and rear. he had installed some digital gauges in the dash and was able to get someone to program something to where the tach and speedo worked as if they were actually running off a real car. I am sure that there is something out there that would allow you to do the same for the instruments Peter, but I am not sure where you would find it.

Very creative. I had seen a post somewhere that someone had actually used a real car cut in 2 lengthwise and then cut off the nose and rear. he had installed some digital gauges in the dash and was able to get someone to program something to where the tach and speedo worked as if they were actually running off a real car. I am sure that there is something out there that would allow you to do the same for the instruments Peter, but I am not sure where you would find it.

very simple www.symprojects.com :D

Latest News

Back