RD Le Mans Series Season 7 (rFactor 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding lighting levels.
Prompted by my experience in a 24hrs of the Nordschliefe when I took over the car and was hardly able to see, and pitted to make some changes in my room, I did some experiments today.
In the Nords event even my room light made the ambient light levels too high. I tried putting on a baseball cap which killed the direct light and it wasnt enough, so hastily killed the main light and got a bedside lamp and put it on the floor behind me.
It made a huge difference.

So to todays experiment;
On the server I drove at 8pm to total darkness in a GT car.
By closing my curtains and just having one small room light on it was a lot better.
With no lights on it was better again.
IMO very realistic. It was like.....night time.

Your eyes adjust to ambient light not just the screen.
So I recommend you experiment with getting the lowest possible ambient light levels in your room. Eg one small strategically placed bedside lamp that just gives you enough to make out your keyboard.

Edit:
Turning the headlights off made a massive difference-total darkness so they do work btw.
I stopped in various places and looked for kerbs etc.

Last edited:
One question from Silverstone. After the driver swap our gearbox doesn't match anymore with the Led lights, which is related to the none fixed RPM in the setup and a known issue since years. Does anyone had it too?
A really strange thing was that our setup never drove like it was in practice. Only after an incident and a repairing stop the car drove like it was in practice.

Prompted by my experience in a 24hrs of the Nordschliefe when I took over the car and was hardly able to see, and pitted to make some changes in my room, I did some experiments today.
In the Nords event even my room light made the ambient light levels too high. I tried putting on a baseball cap which killed the direct light and it wasnt enough, so hastily killed the main light and got a bedside lamp and put it on the floor behind me.

So to todays experiment;
By closing my curtains and just having one small room light on it was a lot better.

So I recommend you experiment with getting the lowest possible ambient light levels in your room. Eg one small strategically placed bedside lamp that just gives you enough to make out your keyboard.

Edit:
Turning the headlights off made a massive difference-total darkness so they do work btw.
Hi David,
I tried this (I have dimming lights at home I set them to ambiance) I can see fine in S1 and S2 as soon as I enter S3 I am blind. The corvette has yellow headlights which probably make more of an effect to the blindness.
I drive alot at night (granted not at 200mph) and I can see great so it can't be my eyes surely ( hope not ) I play another game and can fly choppers and land them during the night on the same pc. I drove at Brazil with no issues in the dark also. Maybe a solution is to add high visibility bollards to some corners?

Hi David,
I tried this (I have dimming lights at home I set them to ambiance) I can see fine in S1 and S2 as soon as I enter S3 I am blind. The corvette has yellow headlights which probably make more of an effect to the blindness.
I drive alot at night (granted not at 200mph) and I can see great so it can't be my eyes surely ( hope not ) I play another game and can fly choppers and land them during the night on the same pc. I drove at Brazil with no issues in the dark also. Maybe a solution is to add high visibility bollards to some corners?
Mate just try to keep up and follow the Redshift GT entry, they can be your eyes up ahead! :)

One question from Silverstone. After the driver swap our gearbox doesn't match anymore with the Led lights, which is related to the none fixed RPM in the setup and a known issue since years. Does anyone had it too?
A really strange thing was that our setup never drove like it was in practice. Only after an incident and a repairing stop the car drove like it was in practice.
We haven't had the gear rev problem but myself and Andrew ford discussed this and we are sure that our car didn't act the same as in practise but after the 2nd driver swap it did. I checked the stints and I was able to go as fast as practise but was 2 sec off prior to the swap?

So to todays experiment;

Edit:
This is what I was saying. I wasn't joking @daimen patel when i mentioned black card on conservatory windows lol

We haven't had the gear rev problem but myself and Andrew ford discussed this and we are sure that our car didn't act the same as in practise but after the 2nd driver swap it did. I checked the stints and I was able to go as fast as practise but was 2 sec off prior to the swap?

The gearbox bug can be fixed with fixed RPM. It is a bug since rfactor 1. Can't be fixed due to not reproducable.
The car was definitely "different". For me it wasn't a big deal I could almost match my times, but for my teammate it was.

@Andrew Ford @Mark Greenall @Daryl Russell

If you can't see the number "2" block you might have an "issue" with your monitor.
Number "3" and up should be clearly visible.

For example: on my Macbook, Iphone and TV, I can't see the 2 bar at all. And the 3 bar is as dark as the 2 bar on my laptop. Blacks are cut off beyond a certain range. On my PC i can see the full range.

If you see a difference between 0 and 1: You'll have a very good monitor. But this isn't needed.

BTW: There are more online calibration tests to check black range, white range, color range etc...
View attachment 195456
Now I am home, I have tested and can see all the shades
1 is very dark and 2 is a bit better.

The gearbox bug can be fixed with fixed RPM. It is a bug since rfactor 1. Can't be fixed due to not reproducable.
The car was definitely "different". For me it wasn't a big deal I could almost match my times, but for my teammate it was.
Sorry I don't understand, Fixed rpm? The vette can rev to 7,300 are you saying we can let it rev unlimited or until it explodes?

I disagree on this request. Tap the wall at high speeds and you should be damaged. It also helps with clumsy overtakes.

Not just high speed that you get damaged though. Tap the wall at a snails pace and you get damage both cosmetic and physical? Not saying it should be, but it happens at slow speed too.

Could we ask enduracers if they could enhance the lights themselves? There's obviously something going on there so it would only improve their mod, which surely they would be all for?

It is really difficult to see in dusk and dawn and not overly ideal in the night so it's going to make it a very long 12 hours or so with night and transitions
I agree, but to pack a MOD and re release it in so such short time, it's a huge task, so I doubt it.
I know nothing about modding but surely it wouldn't take that long? I'm just worried that with some of these kerbs being a bit rough, having a distinct lack of light will exacerbate the problem. I know we're all in the same situation but it's a 24 hour race....
Is there really no way we can contact Enduracers about the headlights issue? We have about 3 weeks for them to send a patch or something? I remember there was a mod that was around for rfactor that gave xenon style lights could that work with rfactor2 or are the files different to the rfactor?
Apologies for not getting back to you guys sooner regarding this issue. The day after my previous announcement, and response to @Andrew Ford about the lighting problem (especially at dusk and dawn), I was made aware that this was actually the fault of a previous patch build for the game and not (necessarily) related to the car mod; previously I was merely "speculating" as to what the cause may have been based on the symptoms and hearsay. I was also informed that Studio 397 had already resolved the issue (intentionally or otherwise), and the "fix" was part of their closed beta build. This was subsequently released publicly yesterday morning. I wanted to be sure the problem had been rectified and that my facts were correct before replying; if there was still a problem then I would have contacted the EnduRacers team, but based on what I have seen and read the actual "bug" has been resolved. So the general light conditions in both DX9 and DX11 should now be the same.

If there is still a problem then please refer to this post by Gijs which explains why you might experience problems with dark shadows and driving at night.

Just checked, lights are working as they should be. Whew! :thumbsup:
Thank you for the confirmation Jeremy. :)

I think some of you are underestimating the level of damage that can be dealt to a race car, even at very low speeds. I still find the damage quite forgiving compared to what I've seen in other leagues. Just a few days ago I had a near frontal impact at the Mulsanne Corner after out-braking myself, damage showed up on GID-HUD but I was able to continue with virtually no impact to my lap times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back