RD Le Mans Series Season 7 (rFactor 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've raced karts in the rain, at close to zero degree temperatures with my helmet fogged up and frozen around the edges, at night and i still didn't have problems of this magnitude. Take into account that not all of us are racing on 32 inch tripple screen setups.

I'm not saying we must change anything. Those were ideas, nothing more. If i'm the only one with the problem, i'll shut up right now. But if we can make the race less tedious for most, it's worth discussing.

If Dx11 arrives in time I guess it will be better, but sunset has always been an issue in endurance races regarding visibility.
Anyway, I've no issues myself seeing where I need to go, however I advise everyone to run with headlights on at all times as dark cars can be hard to see.

I think the P2 and GTs will have very similar speeds by the end of the straight (if not in favor of the GTs there), so traffic might be a concern.

I am more worried about running 24H without a driver swap bug tbh.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Good morning folks! After a hectic weekend, for the most part of which I have been at Silverstone - strictly for research purposes of course, and it has all been incredibly relevant :p - I would like to assure you all that I have read the messages and questions sent over the past few days, and I shall begin responding to them later today and tomorrow. I hope this is OK, and if you are off from work for Easter Monday then enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Last edited:
ANNOUNCEMENT!

Good morning folks! After a hectic weekend, for the most part of which I have been at Silverstone - strictly for research purposes of course, and it has all been incredibly relevant :p - I would like to assure you all that I have read the messages and questions sent over the past few days, and I shall begin responding to them later today and tomorrow. I hope this is OK, and if you are off from work for Easter Monday then enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Last edited:
I think the P2 and GTs will have very similar speeds by the end of the straight (if not in favor of the GTs there), so traffic might be a concern.

P2 should reach v-max much quicker with skinny DF i would of thought. Way later on brakes into Arnage too. I dont see it being too much of a problem.

Would be cool to do a club race with the mod to see what its like in practice

@Bram @Daiman Patel

Was just curious if there has been any call on what mod we're going to running for LM24 event in June?
I can confirm that we have made a decision - we shall be using the classic Virtua_LM version of the circuit because alternative versions of the track will not be suitable for league use.

I'm gunna chuck a left field idea here. Has anyone thought of the idea of running it in no chicken configuration?

Im curious what other contestants think of this idea.

P2 should reach v-max much quicker with skinny DF i would of thought. Way later on brakes into Arnage too. I dont see it being too much of a problem.

Would be cool to do a club race with the mod to see what its like in practice
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea... however I'm slightly concerned about removing the chicanes for the RDLMS, and here are my reasons:
  1. From both the participants' and spectators' points of view the incredibly long straight might become especially tedious over the course of a 24 hour period
  2. With cars travelling at such high speed for a prolonged period of time there is the prospect that engines will wear at a greater rate and fail, or overheat, which could potentially result in a number retirements
  3. If a driver loses focus at such high speed, which is possible when driving down the same, monotonous straight lap after lap, it could potentially result in large accidents and a number of retirements
There is no reason why we couldn't try it during a club race, but certainly for the league I would say that the chicanes (or "chickens") will remain in place. As I've said, I think it's a great idea, but I do not think it will work for a 24 hour endurance race.

I can confirm that we have made a decision - we shall be using the classic Virtua_LM version of the circuit because alternative versions of the track will not be suitable for league use.

Try to contact the organization of the 24h in Denmark. I know that they are using an updated version of the Virtua_LM track with the current layout which is proved over 2 years now. Maybe you get access to it :)

Try to contact the organization of the 24h in Denmark. I know that they are using an updated version of the Virtua_LM track with the current layout which is proved over 2 years now. Maybe you get access to it :)
We have already considered this option, but unfortunately an initial investigation has highlighted a number of difficulties that may / will be faced whilst performing custom work on this particular track mod in preparation for the RDLMS. This could subsequently result in the unintended introduction of bugs and other issues, which we would like to avoid at all costs especially for a 24 hour race.

I would say that the chicanes (or "chickens") will remain in place.
IMG_4514.JPG

Like i said in my other post; i can't see s***! How hard would it be to change the kerbs from blue&white to a red&white colour? Is it a realistic, easy to do proposition? With any luck it's just a matter of changing the colour of an entity? :p

I know i'm not the only one with the problem within my team, but what is your experience? Also, what kind of graphics settings are you guys using? Does something like a texture/colour mod exist? I'm on full settings and still, dusk is borderline undrivable for me.
Alen,
I can only speak for myself but I have slight issues at dusk it's pretty bad. It gets very hazy.
You are right that it's hard to see, and I tested on another server and the problem wasn't there ( I tested enduracers on open server at silverstone) the track looked alot clearer and crisp.
I am using high settings with Amd card.
Right now I avoid going on server at that time or reset server. But in race it will effect people.
Yeah but if never driven a sunny evening with fog? I live in the UK. It seems like haze is acting as fog in this server. If there is nothing to be done fine, but if there is it will make it better. When summer gets hazy it's usually 1.5 miles visibility not 30 or 40 metres surely?
I've raced karts in the rain, at close to zero degree temperatures with my helmet fogged up and frozen around the edges, at night and i still didn't have problems of this magnitude. Take into account that not all of us are racing on 32 inch tripple screen setups.

I'm not saying we must change anything. Those were ideas, nothing more. If i'm the only one with the problem, i'll shut up right now. But if we can make the race less tedious for most, it's worth discussing.
I'm having troubles with the visibility as well. It's hard to enjoy driving in this conditions added to the fact that I'm learning everything about rFactor2. That's why I'm in the fog (see what I did there?), is it just me or...?
If Dx11 arrives in time I guess it will be better, but sunset has always been an issue in endurance races regarding visibility.
Anyway, I've no issues myself seeing where I need to go, however I advise everyone to run with headlights on at all times as dark cars can be hard to see.
I would like to begin by thanking you all for your feedback - it has been incredibly helpful! :thumbsup: Secondly I am going to apologise as this issue is partly my fault as I set up the server incorrectly; I had set time acceleration to "x3" when it really only needs to be "x2", so it was not only becoming darker sooner than expected, but it was generally becoming darker than what we expect during the race. I restarted the servers this morning and amended the time acceleration parameter, so it should now be lighter than before towards the end of the practice session. If you could please let me know if this has helped to alleviate the problem that would be great!

As the race duration for Round 2 will only be 6 hours we expect that it will finish whilst there is still significant (or at least sufficient) ambient light, so it's possible that the lighting issues that have been raised might not be a problem. We will of course look to rectify the issue if visibility will be a problem during the event, but I believe that for the in-game times at which sessions shall take place dusk (and poor lighting) will be avoided. Therefore there may be no need to make any actual changes to the track mod for the lighting problem. However, I have asked @Gijs van Elderen to reduce the density / opacity of the fog as this is too pronounced for the time of year.

At what time of day (in-game time) does the problem start occurring / become apparent / get worse? Any videos or screenshots of the problem will be helpful as this is not something that I am able to reproduce. Depending on this we will determine an appropriate course of action. As Matheus has said, dusk and dawn have always proved problematic during endurance races in terms of visibility, but this potentially sounds like a bigger issue and also one that we have come across previously.

Thanks again guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back