RD Le Mans Series Season 7 (rFactor 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxresdefault.jpg

It's actually been 300 metres since the 1960's

After being successfully tested during the night at Le Mans in 1962 (on the Ferrari of Gendebien/Hill), iodine vapour lights became the standard for the 24-hour race during the famous Ford/Porsche era of 1964/65, before becoming a familiar fitment for road cars. Not only were they more powerful (60W), but they also emitted twice as much light to achieve a reach of 300 metres. In 1970, a Citroën SM took part in the Le Mans 24 Hours’ official Test Day but unfortunately failed to qualify for the race.

The shape casted on the road surface: If i look at Mark's picture, It falls off at +/- 200meters.
For road cars there are regulations about this.
High beam: 120 meters
Low beam: 60 meters for the right and 30 meters for the left beam.

That's for the light shape on the road surface.

But headlights cast further and react to the object "diffuse reflectance".

Reflecting boards have a high diffuse reflectance and are lite up at a distance behond the shape casted on the road surface.
Trees, buildings, have a low diffuse reflectance, and aren't lite up that much.

A shader with a high diffuse reflectance that reacts to the cars headlights would be nice. :)

BTW: Audi makes use of laser technology.

234982234.jpg

A few weeks ago I bought a Golf GTE, I was just reading the handbook to see if it was limited to 120 metres because I initially thought it was a lot better than my old audi and that had Xeon.
I just realised the car has got some witchcraft with the headlights.

The information on other road users and the street lighting is captured by a camera on the interior mirror and relayed to the Dynamic Light Assist system. This significantly improves illumination of the entire carriageway. Dynamic Light Assist produces a brand new lighting sensation that is always perfectly tailored to the traffic situation.

It probably explains why I was having trouble to see when others seemed ok, my eyes were probably not used to night driving anymore :roflmao:

Coming from someone playing with the oculus, Lighting has not been a problem. Problem I have more then anything are the idiot drivers who think attempting a pass on a corner is going to pay off. People cannot be making stupid moves like that during the race. Sod the lighting, improve your race craft.
There are some really good racers out there that are being taken out by stupidity of people who have no patience.
Yes sim racing removes the fear of crashing and dying. When you're behind a slower car, flash your lights so people know you are there. Players in VR cannot see much out of the mirrors. In fact you are pretty much blind when it comes to seeing behind. The flashing of headlights, even during the day, can be noticed on the dashboard.
Now before anyone goes on the band wagon about sticking on the extra mirrors, No, not gonna happen because it doesn't work properly and looks horrid. A bit of respect is all that's needed for others around you.
I apologise for the rant, but after experiencing a few drivers inpatients in practice yesterday, trying to pass when there is clearly no way it's going to end well, just hang back and wait. A driver cannot give way on a one car corner. And then to completely flip you off when you confront them, speaking in their own language, it's rude and unsportsmanlike.
Hopefully the race will prove to be a more cleaner ride for everyone who is taking part. I know me and my team mates are very much pumped for this event. We have put in a lot of time to getting the car right for the 4 of us, as I'm sure many of you have too.
My short time with RD has been a blast, learning new racing skills, spoken to some really cool funny people. Being a console gamer previously, racing faired to be a very easy feat. This on the other hand is skilful and I've had many difficulties, not denying my mishaps leading up to this post. But I do know racing and am building upon those skills with 3 awesome mentors and crazy M.F's.
Good luck one and all for next weekend. The Doctor will see you on the track.

Issue has never been tarmac illumination. It is just that everything else is non reflective. Usually markings on the road are super reflective and there are reflectors on the barriers, there are none of them in the track.

Also, usually there is a very strong beam of lights in front of the cars when close to the wall. In the Enduracers mod, it looks like I taped my phone flashlight in front of the car.

It will be interesting when the blue flag warning pops up during the night with the P2s:D

We are not changing track this late @Matheusfonseca
We have one week until the event and this is just a ridiculous change to make with one week to go, so no. We are staying with the 1990s version. There has not been any discussion about changing this. We have made our choice, and we shall stick to it.

I've only read a little bit of this and I don't understand what the fuss is about.

Yes, the lighting could be a little bit better but the track looks the same in the night as it does in the day. It's actually easier to drive at night than in the day because there is less clutter of things that you can see at the side of the road.

The only trouble area, really, is the dusk and morning part, about 15 minutes, where the lights does nothing for seeing small things like cerbs and such at a bit of a distance but you just need to drive accordingly during those 15 minutes.

Although me saying this could be stupid as I went about 4-5 seconds quicker at night at Nordschleife than during the day in practice for the event in this championship there a few years ago (sadly I was unable to make the race)...

any way to stop trackmap plugin from disappearing and reappearing? DX9 and windows 10. I;ve tried Ctrl+F but no success.
The plugin loads fine, but after a few moments all the on-screen stuff will disappear, come back after a few seconds, and repeat.

The shape casted on the road surface: If i look at Mark's picture, It falls off at +/- 200meters.
For road cars there are regulations about this.
High beam: 120 meters
Low beam: 60 meters for the right and 30 meters for the left beam.

That's for the light shape on the road surface.

But headlights cast further and react to the object "diffuse reflectance".

Reflecting boards have a high diffuse reflectance and are lite up at a distance behond the shape casted on the road surface.
Trees, buildings, have a low diffuse reflectance, and aren't lite up that much.

A shader with a high diffuse reflectance that reacts to the cars headlights would be nice. :)

BTW: Audi makes use of laser technology.

234982234.jpg

I'm not specifically talking about illumination of the road. I'm talking in general, being able to actually see further than 100m infront of you would be great :)

Also comparing road car lights to headlights used in endurance racing, makes no sense because of the regulations you just pointed out. So not sure why you're bringing this up :)

But as you mention, having some ACTUALLY proper reflective boards would be nice too. But with the way lighting works in rf2 that would probably just make objects close to you over-reflective and blinding, just to make boards 2-300 meters away visible.

Coming from someone playing with the oculus, Lighting has not been a problem. Problem I have more then anything are the idiot drivers who think attempting a pass on a corner is going to pay off. People cannot be making stupid moves like that during the race. Sod the lighting, improve your race craft.
There are some really good racers out there that are being taken out by stupidity of people who have no patience.
Yes sim racing removes the fear of crashing and dying. When you're behind a slower car, flash your lights so people know you are there. Players in VR cannot see much out of the mirrors. In fact you are pretty much blind when it comes to seeing behind. The flashing of headlights, even during the day, can be noticed on the dashboard.
Now before anyone goes on the band wagon about sticking on the extra mirrors, No, not gonna happen because it doesn't work properly and looks horrid. A bit of respect is all that's needed for others around you.
I apologise for the rant, but after experiencing a few drivers inpatients in practice yesterday, trying to pass when there is clearly no way it's going to end well, just hang back and wait. A driver cannot give way on a one car corner. And then to completely flip you off when you confront them, speaking in their own language, it's rude and unsportsmanlike.
Hopefully the race will prove to be a more cleaner ride for everyone who is taking part. I know me and my team mates are very much pumped for this event. We have put in a lot of time to getting the car right for the 4 of us, as I'm sure many of you have too.
My short time with RD has been a blast, learning new racing skills, spoken to some really cool funny people. Being a console gamer previously, racing faired to be a very easy feat. This on the other hand is skilful and I've had many difficulties, not denying my mishaps leading up to this post. But I do know racing and am building upon those skills with 3 awesome mentors and crazy M.F's.
Good luck one and all for next weekend. The Doctor will see you on the track.

Same driver both times. First pushing his way through in the Porsche Curves and then the entry to the Mulsane. All it takes is a moment and you will be let past. We can not JUMP out of the way for P2 drivers when we are in a GT doing all we can do just to stay on the track.

Mod edit: Photos removed. Contact the driver privately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back