Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Simagic managed an inductive power delivery system to their wheel.

I still believe that is the right way to power a wheel removing batteries, weight and cost from the wheels.

We've had wireless cell phone chargers for quite some time now. This is main stream technology not something esoteric.
I think Simagic did a good job there. But....
Anything wrong with the good old wired USB connection? ;)
Personally I'd like to keep any wireless connections to a minimum to increase reliability.

Upvote 0
If wireless is done properly and 100% reliable, why would anyone prefer a cable?

I have never read about misshifts with a fanatec wheel so it seems to be reliable. Sadly the simucube wireless "solution" seems to be pretty amateurish in comparison, especially if you consider that they did not even have the antenna at first.

It works though and in the weeks of use i had maybe a couple of shifts that would not register at first try and it never messed up a race. Might be related to interference by the oculus cv1 tracking (i know wifi causes problems with that and bluetooth sometimes) so i'm curios to see if the G2 solves this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Simagic did a good job there. But....
Anything wrong with the good old wired USB connection? ;)
Personally I'd like to keep any wireless connections to a minimum to increase reliability.

FWIW, I agree with you and my fairly expensive PSE GT3 wheel is wired. It's simple, non-proprietary and will work on any wheel base.

There are two issues here.

1. Power
2. Data transmission.

Sending inductive power is a very simple thing and would remove the need for batteries in steering wheels all together! This is not a wireless transmission protocol. It is simply power delivery.

That is what I was talking about.

If you are going to have a wireless connection not using inductive power delivery is a short coming that requires extra added expense and weight in every wheel for a part that does wear out.

I've already seen updates to the SC2 firmware that fixed power draw issues that were discharging batteries much quicker than it was supposed to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To protect your investment in case you need to switch the base one day.

That's indeed a reason, though this is only relevant as long as those connections are proprietary, which they sadly are atm but one can hope.

I would still prefer to sell the wheel in that case but that's just me of course :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sending inductive power is a very simple thing and would remove the need for batteries in steering wheels all together! This is not a wireless transmission protocol. It is simply power delivery.
Absolutely. Slipped my mind. Sorry for that.
This would impact wheels with displays of course.
Any other wheel does not need batteries.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how robust Simagics system is in the long term.

Upvote 0
If wireless is done properly and 100% reliable, why would anyone prefer a cable?

I have never read about misshifts with a fanatec wheel so it seems to be reliable. Sadly the simucube wireless "solution" seems to be pretty amateurish in comparison, especially if you consider that they did not even have the antenna at first.

It works though and in the weeks of use i had maybe a couple of shifts that would not register at first try and it never messed up a race. Might be related to interference by the oculus cv1 tracking (i know wifi causes problems with that and bluetooth sometimes) so i'm curios to see if the G2 solves this.

Are others experiencing misshifts with their SC2 wireless wheels? I thought the antenna fixed everything?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I honestly don't understand all the fuss about "wireless", with all the limitations and no real advantage over good coiled cable, why even bother.
I own SRB BBPRO 32, Ascher B16LSC, both wireless, but my favorite is still old Ascher C20M USB wheel (don't ask why I bought the other two :redface:).
Much better knitter buttons and encoders as well as more inputs outweigh pseudo convenience of hit-or-miss no cable operation.
Do we have any button plates makers that still make real good, high quality, not exuberantly priced USB button plates like Ascher used to make?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't understand all the fuss about "wireless", with all the limitations and no real advantage over good coiled cable, why even bother.
I own SRB BBPRO 32, Ascher B16LSC, both wireless, but my favorite is still old Ascher C20M USB wheel (don't ask why I bought the other two :redface:).
Much better knitter buttons and encoders as well as more inputs outweigh pseudo convenience of hit-or-miss no cable operation.
Do we have any button plates makers that still make real good, high quality, not exuberantly priced USB button plates like Ascher used to make?
How many of us even notice the cable? I know I don't. So if someone doesn't notice the cable, and it is more reliable then why would someone want to go with a wireless solution? It reminds me of laptops. Wireless works fine most of the time, but never as reliable as an ethernet cable to a data drop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

How many of us even notice the cable? I know I don't. So if someone doesn't notice the cable, and it is more reliable then why would someone want to go with a wireless solution? It reminds me of laptops. Wireless works fine most of the time, but never as reliable as an ethernet cable to a data drop.
I think the biggest (the only) concern with cable is out of control wheel spin that can either rip the cable or whip it around causing damage to something else.
It's rare, but could happen esp. with still screwed up bumpstops in SC2.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Really? Is it a particular firmware version?
After last update you can go past bumpstop. Link
Another thing, when you hit e-stop, natural thing to do in case FFB goes out of whack, bumpstops don't work at all, and while there is no active torque, inertia can keep wheel spinning. That happened to me and was reported, but seems like ignored as GD didn't even bother to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Back