AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Goodwood, 12th October 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
On the server with Allan, a world record.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I left the server a broken man.:redface:

OIP (2).jpg

4724181.jpg I know my place.

:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
@HF2000 Han, was you laptime tonight representative or were you just giving me false hope?
Hi Douglas,

I don't think I can go much faster. Certainly not in a consistent way. Maybe 0.5s in a perfect lap for me. The fast corners are very tricky with the understeer of the Abarth and because you loose so much time when going off, I plan to take it on the save side in the race. I hope I can control myself.

Last edited:
All us poor old Abarths have now is Han Paul, Kimi and John to fight our corner. Really thought it was an Abarth track.:( Not only have we a world record holder , but Fulvio is waiting in the wings to pounce too.
All we need now is Chris to turn up.:(

John looks very competitive here, tried my best, just could get no where near his times.

Nooooo John has not entered!!!

Must try not to take it so seriously.:O_o:

But if we don’t teach these Mazda rotters a lesson, then the world is surely doomed.

EA1EBAD5-B086-4683-82DF-86AD8886EC64.jpeg

Hi Douglas,

I don't think I can go much faster. Certainly not in a consistent way. Maybe 0.5s in a perfect lap for me. The fast corners are very tricky with the understeer of the Abarth and because you loose so much time when going off, I plan to take it on the save side in the race. I hope I can control myself.

That's good news, I should be in the mix if I avoid the grass and concrete walls.

Starting to get a fix on what tracks suit Abarth and Mazda.
Put simply, any track that allows both cars to corner flat chat, the Abarth wins. Any track with fast corners that punish the Abarth’s understeer then the Mazda will be flat chat and have more than enough exit speed to get one over a Abarth.
Flowing corners suit both with the Mazda quickest , but not enough to counter the next straight.
Thompson road being a good example.
Here at Goodwood, too many corners where the Abarth is marginally off or completely off the throttle.
Even John cannot counter that, it would be interesting to see if Fulvio can, my gut feeling is even Fulvio would struggle.
Thruxton ( just a guess ) would, I think suit the Abarth, most corners stifle the Mazda cornering speed and any corners that were flat out the Abarth would also be flat out?
If someone, not me, can extract every last ounce from the Abarth corner speed. Then maybe the Abarth could match the Mazda here, but my money would still be with the Mazda if both were driven that perfectly.
Just a load of rambling nonsense :roflmao::roflmao:

Put simply, any track that allows both cars to corner flat chat, the Abarth wins. Any track with fast corners that punish the Abarth’s understeer then the Mazda will be flat chat and have more than enough exit speed to get one over a Abarth.
Flowing corners suit both with the Mazda quickest , but not enough to counter the next straight.
Here at Goodwood, too many corners where the Abarth is marginally off or completely off the throttle.
Even John cannot counter that, it would be interesting to see if Fulvio can, my gut feeling is even Fulvio would struggle.
Thruxton ( just a guess ) would, I think suit the Abarth, most corners stifle the Mazda cornering speed and any corners that were flat out the Abarth would also be flat out?
If someone, not me, can extract every last ounce from the Abarth corner speed. Then maybe the Abarth could match the Mazda here, but my money would still be with the Mazda if both were driven that perfectly.
Great analysis, Ernie. I think you're spot on and that's why this combination is so interesting. How will did turn out in the Fat-Alfie championship? Thomson has a relatively long straight. On Deutschlandring and Feldbergring are the straights even longer but relatively the straight part is less than on Thomson. Bremgarten will be a Mazda track. Not sure about Battenbergring but Fonteny will probably also be in Mazda's favor.

But one thing to consider is the ability to overtake. Although the Mazda may be faster in the corners, it is difficult to overtake there where the Abarth can simply overtake on a long straight as we saw on Thomson. So even if the Mazda has the better laptime, it might be better to choose the Abarth for the race. A bit like Ferrari and RedBull this F1 season. (Ferrari 11 poles, RedBull 6, Ferrari 4 wins, RedBull 14)

Last edited:
I was thinking that when on the server last night Ernie - about types of corner that suit/don't suit the Abarth etc.

I think you're right (of course :laugh: ) though I find the gearing on the Abarth can be part of the problem for certain types of corner, and here it's Lavant (for me), unless you've got the perfect line and momentum 4th is good, get it slightly wrong and 3rd is too late to change down to, which takes .2 off Lavant Straight.

Also managed the chicane better - drove in 'above the rear' (aka, 'out-of-body-experience' mode hehe) to see how much room there was left, which showed too much lol :D

Took another 2 tenths off pb yesterday, so a 26.0 is definitely on, had below that showing as poss a few times until the chicane, and Fulvio would smash that of course :D I hope Fulvio races the the Abarth to see what's really possible, I reckon there'd be nothing in it.

Last edited:
I was thinking that when on the server last night Ernie - about types of corner that suit/don't suit the Abarth etc.

I think you're right (of course :laugh: ) though I find the gearing on the Abarth can be part of the problem for certain types of corner, and here it's Lavant (for me), unless you've got the perfect line and momentum 4th is good, get it slightly wrong and 3rd is too late to change down to, which takes .2 off Lavant Straight.

Also managed the chicane better - drove in 'above the rear' (aka, 'out-of-body-experience' mode hehe) to see how much room there was left, which showed too much lol :D

Took another 2 tenths off pb yesterday, so a 26.0 is definitely on, had below that showing as poss a few times until the chicane, and Fulvio would smash that of course :D I hope Fulvio races the the Abarth to see what's really possible, I reckon there'd be nothing in it.
I just saw the hidden part: :(:confused::notworthy::cry::speechless::poop:

Latest News

Back