AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Goodwood, 12th October 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
What a fun track, I'm always watching with special interest the MG B races on Goodwood because we own a MG B from 1968.

But having said this, the track is very nice to drive! Sliding through the corners with a very loose back-end is so nice to drive. I had a very desent start and could defend my position with no mistakes from my side.

I ended up behind my favorite opponent in a Abarth :whistling: and tried to overtake him but had no luck doing so. So I desided to create a little gap between us and focus on my own pace without mistakes. Appearently that went well because after my pitstop I was 4th just in front of Doug who had really good and consistant pace throughout the whole weekend (evening that is) :cautious: We had a really great battle for about 2 laps....

But then... my opponents went through the tarmac and it it turned out, my connection was going balistic... :devilish:. I stopped and after a while my connection came back and suddenly I was 13th and ended up 10th.

So the positive side is I really had a desent pace, the negative side is ... none, because I had a lot of fun!

Thanx guys for the clean racing!

So how did Chris know what the previous world record was?
He's using the RSR live time app:
mx5_goodwoodWR.jpg

He normally has the app running on the left hand side of the screen when he is racing in VR. The WR YT video is obviously a replay recording (& out of date). As you can see, there isn't much information to be had from it - if you set a time, it shows the 'WR' plus those immediately around you.

Thanks for organizing again Han and congratulations to the podium places. :thumbsup:

It was a race to forget for me, unfortunately. :( I rather look at it as an experiment in "what happens when you race with zero practice" because that's what it was. And I learned a lot from all that went wrong, because there was a good amount that went wrong. Just once was it a case of (slightly) coming together, the rest was complete and utter lack of focus on my part. Somehow my head wasn't in it during the race and it surely showed in my poor performance. I made too many silly mistakes that piled up to a great deal of frustration. So, I think in the future it may be better to rather withdraw if I can't practice, than improvise and plough through fields of digital wheat.. or whatever grain that was. :unsure:

Thanks for organizing again Han and congratulations to the podium places. :thumbsup:

It was a race to forget for me, unfortunately. :( I rather look at it as an experiment in "what happens when you race with zero practice" because that's what it was. And I learned a lot from all that went wrong, because there was a good amount that went wrong. Just once was it a case of (slightly) coming together, the rest was complete and utter lack of focus on my part. Somehow my head wasn't in it during the race and it surely showed in my poor performance. I made too many silly mistakes that piled up to a great deal of frustration. So, I think in the future it may be better to rather withdraw if I can't practice, than improvise and plough through fields of digital wheat.. or whatever grain that was. :unsure:
At the end of the race your pace wasn't bad, though.

Practice does not have to mean hours, sometimes I practice a lot, more out of frustration of not getting anywhere near other drivers.
Ironically I know it will not produce the results, but that stupid frustration drives me on any way.:(
I generally just do my practice in the practice on race day, then refine it during the race.
Even if I forget, more often than not, turning up as practice is finishing.
I then revert to qualifying. But if I do a respectable time on my first lap, I just leave it at that and see where I come from qualifying, as it all unfolds.
Unless being at the front is important, I just let the race unfold in front, seeing how my lap times effect my race position.
Always take the first laps carefully, until you can appraise your lap times relative to others around you.
Trying too hard is always, for most, a recipe for disaster.
You probably are not going to stand much chance of winning with the the above strategy. But it does make for excitement in the race.
The race outcome is always a mystery for me, I really “try” and be as neutral as I can to an event.
If you are looking for your first win, then that frustration will always be your down fall in a race here on race department as anywhere in life generally..
The end.
Not yet , a PS,
if I am not that competitive I use the my qualifying lap, fresh in my mind , to study my setup, and seeing others times, make some adjustments to my setup. To either help with stability or more speed?

Last edited:
Back when I was playing outdoor sports we used to train tuesday and thursday, meet for some skills only stuff on a saturday afternoon. Play a match on Sunday with about a 30 minute warm up before, a ten minute break before it started.
If I had all the time in the world I think I would still take the same approach to maximising results for sim racing.

Tuesday - long runs/learning the track
Thursday - pace/short runs
Saturday - Setups/short runs
Sunday - Race.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen at all. I might have a free hour or two on a monday and have forgotten half of it or, a Sunday afternoon where it's all too late and you go into the race with sim racing burnout and nothing really in muscle memory as you haven't slept on it. Nearly better off not practicing until the 10-20 minutes pre qualy at that point.

Latest News

Back