AC Mazda MX5 Cup @ Mugello - Mon 09 Mar 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
After three days of practicing, I still struggle to achieve a goid time.
So far my best is 2:12
I've seen and studied YT replays, know the line, break points etc, but I don't have the grip or skill to stay on track at those speeds.
I've looked up some setups online. I've swapped my H-shifter for the sequential.

Have you any pointers, or a replay I could use?
Thanks.

I've seen and studied YT replays, know the line, break points etc, but I don't have the grip or skill to stay on track at those speeds.
I've looked up some setups online. I've swapped my H-shifter for the sequential.

Thanks.

Mine is around a 2:11 so that'll be grand!! ;):p

Thanks.
Mine is around a 2:11 so that'll be grand!! ;):p
Guys, I'm really sorry to have to do this, but we're not supposed to discuss times o the race thread. It's RD rules. :(

Ozzrick, please don't worry about times. It sounds like you'll be fast enough to be in the mix. We try to promote an atmosphere where fun is the main focus of the event. We all like to do well, but if you focus on finding somebody around about your skill level to race with and have fun - well job done. It may not be a reasonable expectation for you to run with the front guys in your first race. These guys have been racing online for years. But if you stick with it, you will improve.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but if you join plenty of races, with the mindset to enjoy yourself whilst learning the ropes, you will get better and your results will show that improvement.

See you on track tonight. :thumbsup:

@Ozzrick

In my opinion the mx5 is a pure drivers car, I always struggle with this car.:rolleyes:
Basic setup is virtually there anyway, mainly because of the above statement. Just tyre pressures being correct and that’s it. If not sure someone will impart tyre pressures for you in practice.
Keep it simple keep it on the track.
You will be surprised what just that can achieve. :)

Thanks.
What Denis and Ernie just said!

When you're on the practice server (or any other time!) leave your setup screen and go to 'race', then keep pressing ctrl 1 to be in the car of the guys behind you, or ctrl3 for the guys in front. ctrl2 brings you back to your car. Watching some of the quicker guys does help :)

Re the H shifter, from what I've read about it, it's faster than sequential paddles for an H shifter car - some code AC put in there:
"0.22
- all cars with H pattern manual gearbox, when used with paddles, can now enable autocut-off autoblip assist properly. The timings are slower than what you can achieve with an H shifter hardware.
" I certainly faster was when mine was working.:(

If you already knew about the 'ctrl + number' thingy, this message will self-destruct in 3.2.1..... :p

Have fun!

Edited: to clarify 'sequential' should have been 'paddles on H shifter cars', thanks Patrick!

Last edited:
And as I always think to myself, times are one thing, but an actual race environment is vastly different. We're human, and errors and mistakes happen. Someone else's momentary lapse in judgement can shoot you from last to first. That's what makes it exciting - you just never know what might happen. Much more exciting than time trials!

So I wouldn't worry too much on your times! :)

@Ozzrick something I did not know in my beginnings and after I discovered it by accident helped me a lot, was that if you are on any server, go back to the pits and open the "time table/chat" option. There click on the name of a driver which is currently driving (obviously choose the fastest guy possible) and you will join him in his car. From there you can check out his line, braking points etc.

And like the others said. Quali/PBs are one thing, 25 or 60min Race is a completly different story. Just by managing to keep the car between the lines and not to spin, will put you midfield and you will have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

What Denis and Ernie just said!

When you're on the practice server (or any other time!) leave your setup screen and go to 'race', then keep pressing ctrl 1 to be in the car of the guys behind you, or ctrl3 for the guys in front. ctrl2 brings you back to your car. Watching some of the quicker guys does help :)

Re the H shifter, from what I've read about it, it's faster than sequential (some code AC put in there), I certainly was when mine was working.:(

If you already knew about the 'ctrl + number' thingy, this message will self-destruct in 3.2.1..... :p

Have fun!
So that's how I can see the input pedals as well? and the speed and the gears and not looking only on the dashboard of the car? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. @Denis Betty I will dare to say: sign me in. the way my schedule was lately, I still hope I can make it :))

So that's how I can see the input pedals as well? and the speed and the gears and not looking only on the dashboard of the car? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. @Denis Betty I will dare to say: sign me in. the way my schedule was lately, I still hope I can make it :))
Hmm good question. The way I described how I spectate the fast guys, you can't use any additional apps. Never used Johns approach though. Will give it a try today.

Great video, the H shifter can be faster, I think you get better braking in certain cars that suit that style and come with a H shifter, Mx5 being one. They do not go 5,4,3,2 they brake in neural then select 2nd at the right speed.
I have never done this so not really that sure, but always assumed it.
To be honest I struggle with the paddles, quite often making involuntarily hand movements on the paddle shifter and find
myself changing down a gear... ooop’s:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Anders and I tested this a while back with the MX5 cup. I'm on paddles and he's on H pattern with clutch. We used the long straight at Barcelona to test.

- Every gear shift gave him an acceleration advantage
- His car could be power shifted (no lift shift) which lurched the car forward
- There's a lag built into auto blip that slows it down compared to manual

Naturally a track with more shift points will have a bigger advantage. I think it's fair as the manual driver is increasing their complexity and taking on more risk vs a paddle driver.

Latest News

Back