PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

Not sure. I don't think the Fords are as advanced in handling feel and accuracy as some of the other cars anyway. See my list of good rides above and add in the Mercedes SLS and Pagani Hyuara to that mix (although the Hyuara probably lacks grip it should have at the moment)
Will do for the Pagani, but the SLS I also can not select, appears in game but not selectable, any idea why?

I agree, only the Capri in this game has a half decent feel of weight transfer and mass although not as good as other sim titles both past and present, still the Capri is markedly better than any of the other cars I've tried, hopefully the other cars will feel as good soon and all improve over time.

I'm not convinced it's just a FFB issue, when driving the cars without FFB there is a visual sense of lightness to the physics and the importance of weight transfer/mass/inertia doesn't come through enough yet for me in the driving dynamics.

Some cars in today's release are showing some real improvement in the areas of FFB and weight, I would even say that some feel much too heavy - that's not to say that they are all communicating FFB with full effects yet. I do detect some notable improvement in front and rear tire grip feel on some of the BMW's, the Asano X4, The Gumpert and some of the Formula cars so progress continues nicely. The addition of gear-wobble to some cars makes a big difference IMO, of the cars feeling more alive and dynamic - an example of another layer that starts to bring everything together.

I find the open cockpit cars - especially the formula cars, feel incredible to drive. Normally, I am not the biggest fan of driving formula cars but in Pcars, they capture the look and feel extremely well. The physics are getting there and the sounds have a long way to go but, as they add more layers and sort out the wrinkles, it will be awesome IMO. Each week, I am liking the progression more and more and having more fun testing various cars against the AI.

Agreed. Just tried the latest build today and feel exactly like you said. Some cars do really feel great now.

I actually felt the weight transfer (I think they fixed the too heavy issue) in some cars and the FFB feels great.

IMHO, pCars is getting there :)

Which cars feel the best currently? Hoping to have another bash at the weekend.

cheers
None of the cars is "done" because several layers to the underlying engine are not implemented yet. But many are showing nice advancements.

You should try the M3GT and make sure to pay attention to the sound of it--particularly in replay mode. It shows off the new sound work very well... as does the Zonda R (although the Zonda R needs more tweaking). They are the only two cars with the new sound work implemented as far as I know.

Handling wise, I think the two above are good examples too. Add in the Lotus 98T (huge kick from the turbo in 1-3rd gears :) )and the 49. Also try the Gumpert. Then the FB & FA for fast modern open wheelers. Although the FA still feels a bit odd to me compared to the best modern F1 cars in other sims... but it is getting there.

None of the cars is "done" because several layers to the underlying engine are not implemented yet. But many are showing nice advancements.

You should try the M3GT and make sure to pay attention to the sound of it--particularly in replay mode. It shows off the new sound work very well... as does the Zonda R (although the Zonda R needs more tweaking). They are the only two cars with the new sound work implemented as far as I know.

Handling wise, I think the two above are good examples too. Add in the Lotus 98T (huge kick from the turbo in 1-3rd gears :) )and the 49. Also try the Gumpert. Then the FB & FA for fast modern open wheelers. Although the FA still feels a bit odd to me compared to the best modern F1 cars in other sims... but it is getting there.

I would agree that these are good cars to try but, I haven't played this weeks build yet and things can change rather quickly from one build to the next. Overall - good progress is being made IMO.

What does physics too light mean? FFB strength?

No the physics not the FFB, as already said it's easy to confuse the two but I'm talking about the physical mass and response of the car. I find the suspension/chassis unresponsive and sluggish to vertical loading such as over kerbs/bumps, there should be a much faster and firmer response with more energy transferring through the car. Also there is a general lack of mass to many of the cars which means they aren't planted enough. (Note: this isn't solved by car setup it's deeper than that)

On the topic of FFB it still needs a good deal of work, not enough feel of the car especially of the suspension, weight transfer and what the rear of the car is doing, just feels numb and uneventful and doesn't communicate the fundamentals enough and lacks fidelity.

As the sim currently is I just don't enjoy driving the game the physics, steering and FFB aren't convincing enough yet for me and I prefer to get my sim driving fix elsewhere still.

My problems with rf2 were partly PC related, and now that's been fixed, my rf2 experience has been greatly improved, and as it stands rf2 has some of the best sim cars IMO, but pcars doesn't have any sim cars as it feels something like Shift2.

pcars driving model and FFB have been all over the place the last 12months, as such I uninstalled it after testing last build.

I'll still buy the game if it's Shift3, but I won't be endorsing it as a sim unless it actually becomes one.

If you think the cars in pCARS are like Shift you either are not much of a Sim Racer or you don't have a PC that can run it properly. If there is any game I could compare to Shift it's R3E

Latest News

Back