F1 2012 F1 2012 Demo

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I went back and tried it again.

After a while of playing, im finding myself trying to think of ways to convince myself its worth buying.

It looks very nice and it would be nice to try out the new United States Grand Prix track, but then thats why I bought F1 2011 for the New Delhi track.

The one thing I can say about it, is that its nice to run a game where all the graphics are done and everything is as it is.

Hello, i don´t have much time to read many articles, so don´t hate me if it is there. Do you think that understeer is a bug and will be fixed? or I can not drive?

thank you and sorry for my english. If you don´t understand me write it down and i try to re-write

It's not a bug, they put it in on purpose.

Understeer in low speed corners & better rear end grip in the high speed corners. The idea being that at low speeds downforce is reduced (less grip), high speed = more downforce.

Like most people, I am finding it awkward to change my driving style. I hate understeer. I suppose I can get used to it, or in the full game might be able to reduce it's effect with a good setup. I prefer oversteer.

All the braking points stored in my head (from F1 2011), are now all wrong. I have now got to learn to brake quite a bit earlier ..... :(

Understeer in low speed corners & better rear end grip in the high speed corners. The idea being that at low speeds downforce is reduced (less grip), high speed = more downforce.

Like most people, I am finding it awkward to change my driving style. I hate understeer. I suppose I can get used to it, or in the full game might be able to reduce it's effect with a good setup. I prefer oversteer.

All the braking points stored in my head (from F1 2011), are now all wrong. I have now got to learn to brake quite a bit earlier ..... :(
thank you for you answer. I think thats more realistic and harder. I tried to ride corner on Monza the sweep gas and there was understeer again so i go to practise

Just had about an hour on it. Graphics are great especially little things like the glint of other drivers mirrors. AI is improved quite a bit and I only got a penalty when I actually slammed into the side of a car which is nice.

Agree with other regarding the bloody understeer in corners, I guess quite a lot of that will be fixed by adjusting roll-bars/springs etc so thats not much of an issue for me TBH

Same with the brakes, the default setup is "Pressure=Low" where as personally in 2011 it was always "High" for me.

This is my two cents here. I have played the PC Demo for a bit and I am liking it. The graphics is better and the AI is also better. As for the feel of the car, it felt a bit "off" for me but I am going to put it down to 2 things.

1. It is a DEMO. It even says right in the begin that the DEMO does not reflect the final product. Codies have even stated it on their Forum as well.
2. Cannot change the car setup. I agree, the Pre-Setups are not the best but in the final product, you can tweak the car setting to suite your driving style.

In the end, it is only a Demo and personally, I cannot wait for the release date. Bring it on!!!!

Just had my first go for about an hour. I was expecting much worse, considering all the comments going around on the web.. Changing the pre-setup already makes a huge difference: i tried far right first which was impossible, changing it to the middle one (balanced) already decreased the oversteer and improved the braking. Next thing for me was to adjust the FFB, started by decreasing all 3 settings to at least 50%. This made a huge improvement to the handling as well. Last thing i changed was the wheel settings, it seems increasing steering saturation decreases oversteer. However, increasing the saturation makes the car very twitchy on a straight line so i also increased steering liniarity.

Settings i run with now:
-presetup: balanced (middle one)
-FFB: max 50% for all 3 settings
-Steering saturation: 30%
-Steering linearity: 30%

With these settings i can properly attack the chicanes, get a little oversteer in lesmo 1 and 2 but have a decent setup overall.

Conclusion:
I actually think the new physics/handling are BETTER then 2010 and 2011.. The handling is much more realistic (and harder!), hitting to much kerb at speed gives oversteer immediately and the general sense of grip (or lack of it) is much more realistic. And this is with only an hour of tweaking and not being able to make a proper setup yet..

I might be the only one, but i'm defenately buying f1 2012 :p

*edit* i am using a G27

Well, after wasting my money on buying the PS3 version of F1 2011, I decided to try the 2012 demo on PC. Will try the PS3 later to see how much worse the PS3 is.

The game isn't as bad as I thought. Physics? Well, it's not like the PC sims such as GSC or rF2 or Race 07 but it's playable. KERS seems a little exagerated, its like a rocket, while DRS seems fine. Glad they got rid of the mid corner oversteer, I hated that so much. Now there is more understeer, but at least its not as unpredictable as the F1 2011 oversteer.

FFB, much better than 2011, at least compared to the PS3 version. Car responds better. Feels light, and there aren't many bump feeling, feels a bit "off" but an improvement over 2011. Not much steering lag, unlike 2011, and that's good.

Graphics look much better but comparing PS3 with PC isn't really a good comparison, considering PC looks better, even my "crappy" PC (ATI Radeon HD 5750, AMD Phenom 4 cores 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram). I need to upgrade my graphics card. I was still able to get around 40-50 FPS on High settings. Not bad, will see how it looks on Medium.

Now the issues I have found. The game doesn't go to full screen. I can see the desktop taskbar at the bottom and the minimize/close button at the top. Any help? The setups feel weird, I changed from low downforce to high downforce and barely made any changes. It seems the pre set setups are rubbish. Found a little bug coming out of the pits where the car starts acelarating but the engine sounds as if it was in pit speed limiter speed. Not a big deal, went back to normal once I was on track.

Well, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Well, after wasting my money on buying the PS3 version of F1 2011, I decided to try the 2012 demo on PC. Will try the PS3 later to see how much worse the PS3 is.

The game isn't as bad as I thought. Physics? Well, it's not like the PC sims such as GSC or rF2 or Race 07 but it's playable. KERS seems a little exagerated, its like a rocket, while DRS seems fine. Glad they got rid of the mid corner oversteer, I hated that so much. Now there is more understeer, but at least its not as unpredictable as the F1 2011 oversteer.

FFB, much better than 2011, at least compared to the PS3 version. Car responds better. Feels light, and there aren't many bump feeling, feels a bit "off" but an improvement over 2011. Not much steering lag, unlike 2011, and that's good.

Graphics look much better but comparing PS3 with PC isn't really a good comparison, considering PC looks better, even my "crappy" PC (ATI Radeon HD 5750, AMD Phenom 4 cores 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram). I need to upgrade my graphics card. I was still able to get around 40-50 FPS on High settings. Not bad, will see how it looks on Medium.

Now the issues I have found. The game doesn't go to full screen. I can see the desktop taskbar at the bottom and the minimize/close button at the top. Any help? The setups feel weird, I changed from low downforce to high downforce and barely made any changes. It seems the pre set setups are rubbish. Found a little bug coming out of the pits where the car starts acelarating but the engine sounds as if it was in pit speed limiter speed. Not a big deal, went back to normal once I was on track.

Well, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Agreed! :)

btw, fullscreen: press alt+enter in the window, oh and make sure you use left alt :)

So I have played the demo for about 90 minutes now, and I have to say, it is quite improved in quite a few areas. I might be tempted after all... But let's see how the save works first.

Improvements:
- Handling. I like the understeer when at low speed, this is more realistic in a physics sense.
- Menu's. Now There is a menu for F1! It looks awesome. The only thing that would improve it, is mouse usage.
- Graphics. It looks amazing, much better than the crayon 2011 version. Being able to play it at MAX settings also doesn't hurt...
- Wheels. I dunno if it's just me, but I never noticed the rims in previous editions, and now I sometimes go off track staring at them :D
- Loading speed. Races, menus, everything loads faster.

The same:
- Penalty system. Exactly like 2011, except for the corner cutting and gaining, which I haven't tested yet.

Additional points - The handling is different, but once you get used to it, it really is a treat.

The twitchiness on the straights is annoying, but I have to say I solved it by changing my steering rotation in Logitech Profiler from 360 degrees to 540 degrees. All controller settings in the game are at 0%.

I would really recommend testing it out at least. It just feels miles better and sleeker than previous editions. I will still wait for reviews before buying the full version though.

AI dont seem to be under steering like me, but I know I need to adjust to the vague steering.

So far I am fairly underwhelmed with it. Not really offering anything new to me, no instant smile factor. Seems to be some unnecessary loading to restart quail at Monza.

Enjoying it so far. Getting used to the new handling model.

One thing it really needs is an ENB mod. The colours are so dull and washed out, no vibrancy to the game at all other than the cars.

Installed it, got to Part 2 where you have to hit the apex and then accelerate on Abu Dhabi, great stuf, until the game started steering for me then my wheel locked to the left or the right (it refused to move) ... i went and got my 1GB Space back on my hd :)
It's actually almost 2.5 but you should give it a try. I thought just like you but I jsut played for an hour and I'm starting to love it :)

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 167 25.5%
  • Full game

Votes: 164 25.0%
  • CPU

Votes: 80 12.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 121 18.5%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 73 11.1%