Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Nice build that one too! I think I will got for a powered usb-hub to get rid of the card and the wire. ;)

Agreed. I haven't had any issues running a powered UBS hub. Works like a champ and when I roll my rig over. I just plug in 1 USB cable, 1 Audio connect for 4 channels of transducers, and a single plug for power.

pedals_5384.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

I thought PCIE USB cards are mostly to help with oversaturated USB bandwidth, not number of sockets.

I thought PCIE USB cards are mostly to help with oversaturated USB bandwidth, not number of sockets.

Yeah, the sim controls we use are pretty low bandwidth, even with a
DD wheel and motion system.

Now if we were sending a video stream across USB that would be another story.

Now that is assuming your USB system is working properly.

Last edited:
I had an I5-8400 and with the 3080 it clearly became a bottleneck. Despite the new AMD launch soon, I built a new system around I9-10850. This seems to work well with the 3080.

JSxWm2r.jpg
Did you watch gamers nexus video about watercooling positioning?
I guess tubes at the top would look a lot better but the should be at the bottom like yours are :D

• Deleted member 197115

:) was about to post the same.
I usually mount mine at the top for a cleaner look if clearance is not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess tubes at the top would look a lot better but the should be at the bottom like yours are :D

I did, actually!-) The build is not really about looks, it's about performance. I think it's common sense that the tubes should be down as air goes to the top and so stays out of the circulation, that was not difficult to decide as there is space for this configuration too.

What I did consider carefully was the radiator placement front or top, but here I trusted GN tests showing that front is the best location. The 3080 produces so much heat that getting it our of the case is the number one priority. It seems better to let slightly more warm air into the case through the front front rad rather than pulling the very warm graphics card heated air through a top placed rad. The GN numbers for front vs top placement showed a significant difference.

I guess the "on topic" thing here would be the 3080 (and 3090) heat production, you really need to consider it when building a system around one.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Too bad AIO 380s are not available yet, EVGA is planning to release some in October/November timeframe, hope availability won't be as bad at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both examples look great!

But yeah getting the GPU power cables to look clean is hard without expensive Cable Mods replacement kits. At minimum you needs 2x0 single 8 pin cable leads and some cable combs to really nail it. Think you can get cable extension kits now that aren't too expensive now. Worth the effort if you want to look into your case. PSU suppliers should give up on these weird janky double 8 pin cables, especially now most GPUs are sucking more than 150w.

I'm interested to see how these 12 pin Nvidia FE cards are dealt with as that splitter is awful, and getting a cable to middle of the card is not easy to make it look clean.

Those massive USB 3.0 front panel plugs though, impossible to get them looking good unless you can hide them behind something.

Those massive USB 3.0 front panel plugs though, impossible to get them looking good unless you can hide them behind something.
I don't see it on his picture.. Or do you mean the one to the pci-e usb card?

Here's my "prepare to take a 3080" case now.
New psu (750 instead of 530) and a new case:
IMG_20201005_140259_439.jpg

For a moment I was mad that my crucial ssd was shining through the backside wall but then I remembered that I bought the windowless meshify s2 for noise dampening reasons (and my pc on my left so...) :roflmao:

Still need to light up some incense sticks to figure out where the air goes through at the top..
Rear and cpu sucking in when speeding up or is hit air exhausting automatically?
No idea right now so my spare 140mm silent wing isn't put in yet..

I don't see it on his picture.. Or do you mean the one to the pci-e usb card?

Ah sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the pic @robt100 posted with the Powercolor GPU. Bottom of the MB USB 3 front panel plug. Big lump of a thing with thick flat cables. The cleaner you make it the more noticeable things are unfortunately.

Yours looks good as its next to the MB power, and the GPU cables have a nice straight run to the cable routing.

Ah sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the pic @robt100 posted with the Powercolor GPU. Bottom of the MB USB 3 front panel plug. Big lump of a thing with thick flat cables. The cleaner you make it the more noticeable things are unfortunately.

Yours looks good as its next to the MB power, and the GPU cables have a nice straight run to the cable routing.
Yeah only took me 2 hours of backside alignments until everything looked like I imagined haha.
I was telling myself that it would be positive for the airflow so it wouldn't be completely useless since my case has no window... :roflmao:

I also wanted to have the pci-e power cables to put some upwards pull on the gpu so when a 3080 finally ships, it will be "supported". At least not pulled down by the cables on top of its weight and leverage...

Temperatures dropped 20° on "not really noticeable fan speeds". Old case was closed front, closed top, 1x 140 at the front, 1x 120 at the rear..
Now it's mesh front + top, 140mm rear, 3x 140 front, 1x 140 bottom.
My cpu and gpu can finally breathe lol

Last edited:
That video came up for me as I had the case open cleaning up my hard drives (I've been upgrading me storage since I can't buy graphics cards). I don't know why, but it sent a cold shiver down my spine at the thought I'd done it wrong. I haven't, I don't think anyway. It's on top.

For a moment I was mad that my crucial ssd was shining through the backside wall
I tried out some of that black 3.0 paint over the weekend. It's one of these blackest black paints. Although it's more non reflective than black. For stuff inside the case it should make things blend into each other in low light. I only got to paint the side panels because painting the rest would mean taking everything out, or painting around the internals. Works OK, it's a very weird looking black, it almost looks like stealth paint as it's not black up close, but all details disappear as you move away from it. Could be good for hiding things in plain sight.

I've been upgrading me storage since I can't buy graphics cards
LOL haha, I know what you mean though..
New psu, new case, finally a nvme instead of just sata ssd's and getting rid of my last hdd that was hanging in a sharkoon 5" hdd bungee.

Now waiting to slap a 3080 in there...
I tried out some of that black 3.0 paint over the weekend. It's one of these blackest black paints. Although it's more non reflective than black. For stuff inside the case it should make things blend into each other in low light. I only got to paint the side panels because painting the rest would mean taking everything out, or painting around the internals. Works OK, it's a very weird looking black, it almost looks like stealth paint as it's not black up close, but all details disappear as you move away from it. Could be good for hiding things in plain sight.
Oh that sounds very interesting!
It would basically work like the "repair" function in photo editing. Not perfect but blending superbly when zooming back to normal view distance.

To be fair I could simply swap the sata ssd's around.. My old Samsung 850 pro is black. But I was too lazy to re-align all the cables that are stuffed around the ssd on the back...
I'll do it when the 3080 gets in there. Take another picture and close the case again and never see it, lol.

LOL haha, I know what you mean though..
New psu, new case, finally a nvme instead of just sata ssd's and getting rid of my last hdd that was hanging in a sharkoon 5" hdd bungee.
I got a 1TB NVME too, I was surprised how cheap all this stuff had gotten. I was an early adaptor of SSDs, so mine were painfully small, a 70gb and 250gb (both of which I paid more for than I paid for the NVME). I've ordered a 2tb M2 Sata SSD (my motherboard only had one NVME) to replace my last large spinny HD. Will keep one old school HD as a dumping ground. Now I don't have to go make a cup of tea while I'm waiting for total war 3 kingdoms to load anymore.

Oh that sounds very interesting!
It would basically work like the "repair" function in photo editing. Not perfect but blending superbly when zooming back to normal view distance.
It is strange like that, I think it creates a fuzzy surface like velvet that can bounce light in random directions so once your a few feet back none of the light is getting to the viewer. I spent ages painting the side panel only to realise that 90% of it won't be seen once the PC is back together, waste of time and paint.

Temperatures dropped 20° on "not really noticeable fan speeds". Old case was closed front, closed top, 1x 140 at the front, 1x 120 at the rear..
Now it's mesh front + top, 140mm rear, 3x 140 front, 1x 140 bottom.
My cpu and gpu can finally breathe lol

Perfect. I like fractal design cases. Had one before I went down crazy street. I mean black electrical tape works wonders if your eye is drawn to the ssd btw.

My case is actually big enough for a 3090 maybe even 2 if I wanted, it would even make sense of the ridiculous amount of cooling it has, but just to illustrate how much work it would take to replace any GPU in this system and why I'm relaxed about upgrades rn.
New GPU and custom waterblock, and then have to replace and rebend the hardline tubes for it. Spent all last Christmas finishing this setup.
In fact needing to clean out one of the loops already as its getting cloudy fills me with dread.

The two pc setup in all honesty was to avoid buying an RTX Titan with enough vram and avoid the disappointment of the 'down-sidegrade' from 1080tis to a Radeon Vii for the sims, you can buy an entire gaming PC inc 2080ti for the same money as a Titan which turned out to be far more useful.

Problem is now what to do next... Brain says, probably best leave this well alone for at least another year. Heart says BUY.LATEST.GPU.NOW!

Attachments

• 20201005_140257.jpg
    20201005_140257.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
Perfect. I like fractal design cases. Had one before I went down crazy street. I mean black electrical tape works wonders if your eye is drawn to the ssd btw.

My case is actually big enough for a 3090 maybe even 2 if I wanted, it would even make sense of the ridiculous amount of cooling it has, but just to illustrate how much work it would take to replace any GPU in this system and why I'm relaxed about upgrades rn.
New GPU and custom waterblock, and then have to replace and rebend the hardline tubes for it. Spent all last Christmas finishing this setup.
In fact needing to clean out one of the loops already as its getting cloudy fills me with dread.

The two pc setup in all honesty was to avoid buying an RTX Titan with enough vram and avoid the disappointment of the 'down-sidegrade' from 1080tis to a Radeon Vii for the sims, you can buy an entire gaming PC inc 2080ti for the same money as a Titan which turned out to be far more useful.

Problem is now what to do next... Brain says, probably best leave this well alone for at least another year. Heart says BUY.LATEST.GPU.NOW!
Holy crap that looks awesome!!

About fractal: I ordered a be quiet pure base 500dx but found out that the pure wings fans have some rattling when running on lowest speed...
Also I needed to mount my le grand Macho cooler 180° flipped which meant sucking air through it instead of pushing.. Great temps at medium loads but not at heavy loads...

And the nail in the coffin was the glass side panel that somehow resonated with the coil rattling/whine from my 1070.
Since I don't see any windows as my pc on my left next to the wall, I spend a few hours of research and ordered the closed steel meshify s2.
It's a very looooong case but who cares, the space is there anyway and I don't think the air from the front intake is slowing down too much while going through it.

It's completely silent in idle (the 3 fractal 140mm are only getting a bit noisy when running at high speeds compared to the silent wings) and I only hear some muffled sounds from the gpu.

It has enough space for me to slap some 4-5mm dampening on the side panels if needed but for now I don't feel any itch.

Anyway.. We all seem to be "idling a bit" while waiting for the 30xx gpus to become available haha

Yeah, that cable is a pain, its the best I could do. I made up for it with cable tidiness on the back of the case....though that bloomin USB3 cable is trying its best again! Really need to get Fractal to make a longer one :roflmao:
IMG_20200206_133937.jpg

Latest News

Back