The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

13.PNG

Is it possible to have transparency with a multilayer fresnel shader? I thought I'd read that it was possible but can't seem to manage it

I believe it uses the alpha of the normal map

Also requires a few settings to the object and material IIRC. I think the material needs an alpha test setting, and the object needs a transparent flag, and depending on your usage might need to get the 'no shadow cast' flag as well.

Also requires a few settings to the object and material IIRC. I think the material needs an alpha test setting, and the object needs a transparent flag, and depending on your usage might need to get the 'no shadow cast' flag as well.
You're not supposed to use isTransparent with AlphaTest.

Last edited:
Lake Garnett Aerial

Lake Garnett is getting really close to being ready to go. Got some input from the historical society that puts on an annual revival event that helped to refine some details, including deletion of the haybale chicane (evidently a latter-day safety innovation added by enduro karters who still use the course... which means that in the good old days a brake failure on the fastest part of track gave you the option of ditching into the lake or launching off the top of the dam into the valley beyond :confused:) and some refinement of the area around the dam spillway.
Lake Garnett Paddock

The paddock got some stand-in set dressing including a passable-if-you-squint-at-it Cobra transporter put together from photo references. As it turns out, that particular line of Ford heavy trucks was unloved and nearly unremembered.
Banners with fancy normal maps!

Also took a bit of inspiration from AccAkkut to use Blender's cloth simulation tools - in this case to make a better banner prop, with nicely convincing draping and creasing.

Last edited:
Yey!

Aerial shot looks absolutely superb, love the attention to the car parks layouts. Just out of interest, what's the bit on the aerial pic that looks like a karting track (just before the start/finish)?
That is, in fact, a kart track. :D Based on historic aerials it was added to the park sometime between 1950 and 1960, and it's still regularly used by area kart clubs.

If I'm feeling ambitious it may get added as an alternate layout, but I make no promises on that front.

Not much to show, but I'm working on finding out better parameters for aero side-forces in roadcars. Previously all of my cars only had drag, but the side-force is perhaps more influential.

Unfortunately it is very important for any time the car goes sideways much at all and there is no way to currently get it completely accurate at all vehicle speeds, nor is there even data in existence to do that for every yaw angle.

To add on top of that, the resulting behavior changes quite significantly depending on where the car CG is and what kind of aerodynamic properties it has. An E30 won't be the same as a Ferrari or a camper van and the trend might be completely different; one car might start off with pro-yaw and turn into lots of anti-yaw at angle and higher speeds, while another car might be incredibly unstable from the get-go and it only gets worse.

I'm aiming for a kind of generic model for mostly box-car shapes as that is most passenger vehicles I've made; and those are the ones which are most frequently sideways.

livery WIP for URD Porsche 911 GTE, making it for someone (hello Nopitch)
(screenshots in chronological order of progress)
The base idea was a Subway livery, with a lot of green and a touch of yellow, then it moved this

Still a long way from done, some logos are way too big, the Tag Heuer on the door is meh I need to update the GT logo etc. , and materials aren't done :
- Lime green will be matte
- Red will be gloss
- Black will be matte
- British racing green will be metallic

For a second car, I could replace british racing green with dark blue, or some red parts with white / electric blue

1638184374877.png

1638184747537.png

Attachments

• 1638183969137.png
    1638183969137.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1638184068181.png
    1638184068181.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 1638184106725.png
    1638184106725.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1638184129010.png
    1638184129010.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1638184196213.png
    1638184196213.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Impressive wmialil.

I did a training pass last night. Amazing.

Glad ya like it!

Just a question. What is going to be your next project? :):)

I hope it will be another long tarmac stage of rally.

Haha :D as much as I'd like to I don't think I'm ever going to make one this long again - the amount of work was actually insane....

But I do have 2 more tarmac stages I'd like to do, one of which is 50% completed already: Sa Calobra/Coll de Reis and L'Albiol (small section of La Mussara). No promises as to when these will actually materialize though....

Got some input from the historical society that puts on an annual revival event that helped to refine some details, including deletion of the haybale chicane (evidently a latter-day safety innovation added by enduro karters who still use the course... which means that in the good old days a brake failure on the fastest part of track gave you the option of ditching into the lake or launching off the top of the dam into the valley beyond :confused:)
It does appear that the haybale chicane was in use during the '63 Grand Prix. See red text below.

Cobra Fords Rule Garnett Track

Garnett, Kas. -- A mongoose might have beaten the Cobras yesterday; none of the sports cars competing here could.

In their first appearance at the fifth annual Garnett Grand Prix sports car race, the AC Cobra Fords simply ran away from everything on the track. Both top feature races were won by the cars which have been racing only nine months.

With 65,000 persons watching in 90 degree weather, Ken Miles of Hollywood, Calif., outpoled every car in the feature race.

He finished ahead of Harry Heuer, Chicago, driving a Chaparall [front engine Chaparral I], and Jack Hinkle, a Wichita banker, driving a Cooper Monaco Ford.

The victory earned Miles the overall trophy as best driver.

But the big stars were the Cobras. Four of them were lined up in the first three grid positions of the A, B, and C, productions in the 4th race.

They tore away from a standing start and when it was over they had lapped every car but one, a Corvette Sting Ray, driven by Dr. Dick Thompson, Washington, D.C.

The Cobra's victory had been anticipated by Bob Johnson's crew. Johnson, from Columbus, O., won the A production race. On the infield, before the races, his crew placed a headstone on a freshly dug grave. Beneath the head of a grinning Cobra, the epitaph read: "Here lies the Sting Rays." A spray of flowers (Lotus, of course) completed the funeral effect.

Johnson's victory was postponed when Harvey Woodward was forced to drive his Elva Mark 6 in the Garnett lake. Woodward, who lives at 4115 West Fifty-fourth terrace, Roeland Park, said that as his car approached a chicane (an artificial barrier set up to slow the drivers) on the back straight away, his throttle apparently stuck.

To avoid colliding with cars jammed up at the chicane ahead of him, Woodward said he cut right.

His car, traveling at about 80 m.p.h., flew about 40 feet and landed right side up in the lake.

"It went in as smooth as a skiff." Woodward said.

As the car started to settle in the water, Woodward released his safety belt (he estimated he was 10 feet deep then) and swam to the top. His car continued down another 30 feet.

A hot sun shining on the asphalt made the course slick. Miles said that braking was extremely difficult on four corners of the track where oil had been spilled.

"The last 15 laps I had to coast into corners or risk a spinout." he said.

The only accident resulted not because of a slick track, however, but because of sticky brakes.

Mrs. Phyllis Kiser, driving in the Production G race, said that as her car approached the flat iron turn in her third lap, the brakes stuck sender her car sideways and flipping it over. She suffered minor cuts and bruises. The race was stopped and restarted.

I'm aiming for a kind of generic model for mostly box-car shapes as that is most passenger vehicles I've made; and those are the ones which are most frequently sideways.

Road Vehicle Aerodynamics
A J Scibor-Rylski, 1975, pg 136

The biggest takeaway for me was that the more streamlined the car, the greater the side force when yaw is introduced. Note that these charts do not account for area, only the base shape.

Side Force (2).JPG

Latest News

Back