Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Has anyone here tried to run a 12v power lead off of their PC power supply, in order to provide voltage to other items on their rig (like an external tach which often needs 12v, or to power one of those smaller amps people are using, or perhaps even to power external usb hubs that have the power cord/inupt)?

I hate the various power supply buildup the more things you install. I know that with some Arduino boards you can add power supply as well, but is there any reason NOT to run a 12v lead right from the PC Power supply? I mean, I think power supplies have many more outputs than most people use, and the cords are there and I believe have both 5v and 12v output.

I was thinking about getting a couple exciters to try, and just a smaller/cheap amp. Is it just ignorance to assume that I could take a 12v lead from the power supply to drive it? (instead of the usual separate power adapter plugged to the wall)

Okay, I just canceled the MQ1-Bs from Amazon.. not really any positive feedback (or feedback at all) here so I decided 150EUR/pc wasn't worth it to play guinea pig.

Will sell off my BK LFE Minis too (gawd, I hate that piston pang..) along with my t.amps and fame quad, get 2 Reckhorns to mount under the seat with a DIY or cheap china amp and call it a day until I finally get my rig together at some point in the future..

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried to run a 12v power lead off of their PC power supply, in order to provide voltage to other items on their rig (like an external tach which often needs 12v, or to power one of those smaller amps people are using, or perhaps even to power external usb hubs that have the power cord/inupt)?

I hate the various power supply buildup the more things you install. I know that with some Arduino boards you can add power supply as well, but is there any reason NOT to run a 12v lead right from the PC Power supply? I mean, I think power supplies have many more outputs than most people use, and the cords are there and I believe have both 5v and 12v output.

I was thinking about getting a couple exciters to try, and just a smaller/cheap amp. Is it just ignorance to assume that I could take a 12v lead from the power supply to drive it? (instead of the usual separate power adapter plugged to the wall)
I wouldn't see an inherent problem with that as long as you keep the wattage limits in mind. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think a 6-pin connector is specified to 75W and an 8-pin to 150W.

The peripheral connectors also carry 5V which might come in handy.

I wouldn't see an inherent problem with that as long as you keep the wattage limits in mind. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think a 6-pin connector is specified to 75W and an 8-pin to 150W.

The peripheral connectors also carry 5V which might come in handy.
150/75 is the rating the PCI-SIG specified as "safe", that's correct.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1449502

Here it is guys! Thanks so much to Blekenbleu for making this happen! a few points:

-Map the effects to what is specified in the description ie. Rear Right. I've also named them that way so it's easier to follow
-Ideal config would be an LFE/BKC paired with a TST
-As a starting point match the output gain I've specified in the description of each effect to get the ratio right (ofcourse play with it after and please repost what you're happy with so we can improve)

The way I currently have it mapped is:
54Hz : Pedals & Rear TST (Rear Right effect at 200% Gain)
36Hz: Centre & Rear TST (Rear Right effect at 100% Gain)
6Hz: Under Seat BKC (Rear Right effect at 200% Gain) & Rear Q10B (Front Right effect at 150% Gain)

Attachments

• Assetto Corsa - GEAR SHIFT EFFECT.siprofile.txt
    225.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Deleted member 1449502

Also make sure you keep the top gear shift on but set to 0

Attachments

• GEAR EFFECT.jpg
    GEAR EFFECT.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 1449502

I was finding there were threshold issues with the custom effects particularly during acceleration and deceleration. They were coming in very hot, you can try it on and off and see if you notice it. Blekenbleu could comment more on whats happening there or if it's some weird issue on my end

It was having effects come through without a gear change taking place, when i switched that on and kept it at 0 it sorted it out for me

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

• Deleted member 1449502

Also I've had amazing results with this on AC driving the Ferrari 512 TR Canyon Spec (here in the NFS Class A mod pack https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-a.16905/updates), I was doing almost all of my testing on that. I just tried some other mod cars and am not getting the same feel (missing thatextended jerk feel).

Please let me know how you guys go with your configs, and please try out a few different cars across different sims if possible. Id appreciate it if you could try the Ferrari 512 TR Canyon Spec and let me know if you get similar or better results too

• Deleted member 1449502

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but this feels no different to the stock standard gear effect shift. Perhaps worse. Just a bump. Sometimes doesn't even activate.
Can you please post screenshots of simhub settings and what sim/car/shakers your using

Exact settings you posted, Concert + TST 239.

I'm going to try balance some gain values. I changed car and it seems a bit more active. Used the car you specified, didn't get much of anything out of it. Using AMG GT3 now to compare.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1449502

If you also get it feeling great with this particular car then we have something there we can look further into with Blekenbleu to undertand why

• Deleted member 1449502

so can you describe what you are feeling? do you feel the amplitude of the effect raise with the downshift? are all frequency ranges lacking?

I've got some better feedback now, gains and channel assignments need some experimenting. I felt initially the the 54hz was overbearing, giving a more scratchy feedback as well as opposed to a thump-ish one so I've toned that down. I've added the CT to the 36hz range where before I started with only TST. I've boosted the 6hz to 300%, and now I am tweaking the volume sliders to get them to all work together properly and finally increasing my global sound slightly to see if I can get more impact.

With the Ferrari it felt like half the shifts were non existent and only when I tried to shift abruptly and roughly, I could feel something. Whether that's intended, seeing as I was rev matching when I was shifting, I don't know. But the paddle shift AMG will have electronic aids so there's more roughness with the way the gears shift due to the cutting of the ignition.

I think, anyway. It's how I'm interpreting what I am feeling.

Latest News

Back