I have this old picture on my HD may give you some ideas :)
View attachment 221268
I had to scale it 950% :D
can do some nice tricks with really nice resolution resources saves a lot of time :)
nice base though :)
81eea0614812a20a8d735177bb95dcb4.png

b5729a44e4e9ad2898224f084dca7fb9.jpg

6f5aba89cde044ee7200a5652a867dc0.jpg

Release the car with one blank white skin and release a realistic skin pack the same day. It will be a shame to delete the votex skins since they actually look good and time was spent creating them, but they will be perma gone as soon as realistic liveries become available.

I'm sure that will happen, that's why I've created some basic layouts similar to the real liveries, so along with the template pack you'll get the masks used for the different color combos. Then it's only a matter of using real sponsors, less work for the skin guys.

I'm sure that will happen, that's why I've created some basic layouts similar to the real liveries, so along with the template pack you'll get the masks used for the different color combos. Then it's only a matter of using real sponsors, less work for the skin guys.
Yeah I started this one , ill leave it here and let someone else finish it :roflmao:
37b0c953aa44405b47d4a9ffac72076d.png

no only teasing good work man :)

Ill crack on with it in the morning guys its late , only spent 15 minutes playing with it on the second pass anyways and got the correct colors now I like this livery the lights are green :D
Thanks for sharing pics and resources guys much appreciated :)
02ea216ae100134d9ee2ca838ea33fe5.png

5592e92de76f2b6599455ff1a776fe46.jpg

Heres a suggestion for a situation like this for the future.

use waifu2x, for any situation where you think another skin at say 1024x just isnt helping because its low res and you should try that, its optimised for upscaling large patterns so things like the green lines can look quite decent. It only takes like 5-10 seconds to upscale so its quite useful at saving time.

Heres a suggestion for a situation like this for the future.

use waifu2x, for any situation where you think another skin at say 1024x just isnt helping because its low res and you should try that, its optimised for upscaling large patterns so things like the green lines can look quite decent. It only takes like 5-10 seconds to upscale so its quite useful at saving time.
Looks good man , I saw a plugin for firefox but only use google mainly , but downloads all pictures with right click and saves at 2560 res as default upscaling everything might be really useful specially when searching reference ect most pics are say at 5-6-700 if you are lucky , so finding a tool to upcsale and alter the quality may be the trick we need :)

Strange map this one its 2/1 / 4096x2048 not 2k not 4k , paints nice :)
d3b428324f0ad7d05b05a7e1ae36fb37.png

6df4acd5e24df6b3a2ce57fc7b34f2c4.png

b5248bed07253af4892171a02f2ab5ca.png
I've been thinking that 2:1 ratio textures might give good bang for the buck in some situations compared to square textures. Sometimes in car skins square 2k skins are little too small and square 4k are too big. The jump from square 2k to 4k is pretty big step as well as it quadruples the size (and there are no other good options in the middle?).

2k x 4k could be a nice medium spot. It is just double the size per skin instead of 4x. Plus it looks like it works really well for the car shape. And that shape also has the option of going 8kx4k as an upgrade from 4kx4k instead of going from 4kx4k to 8kx8k.

I wonder what happens in ac if you try to use different ratio textures together. For example 4x2 ratio skin file but 2x2 txmap?

I've been thinking that 2:1 ratio textures might give good bang for the buck in some situations compared to square textures. Sometimes in car skins square 2k skins are little too small and square 4k are too big. The jump from square 2k to 4k is pretty big step as well as it quadruples the size (and there are no other good options in the middle?).

2k x 4k could be a nice medium spot. It is just double the size per skin instead of 4x. Plus it looks like it works really well for the car shape. And that shape also has the option of going 8kx4k as an upgrade from 4kx4k instead of going from 4kx4k to 8kx8k.

I wonder what happens in ac if you try to use different ratio textures together. For example 4x2 ratio skin file but 2x2 txmap?
Makes no difference , for example , if you are using a 4096x2048 UV basically a 2/1 ratio yeah ,
the UV is set to 2/1 ratio in my software its a custom UV I created ,
so for example I could paint my livery in say 4096x2048 , but then save it as 2048x2048 makes no difference will still load and be fine , also with the maps I can make them square again because the UV is custom it will simply stretch to fit the textures to the UV space that is programmed ,

I mostly see it on F1 cars going back to codemasters F1 2010 I believe there tires was made in say 2048x2048 scale but they compressed the map so something like 1024x512 scale ,
you can save any textures at any scale you choose will match the UV space , but you need to take into consideration the output quality of the DSS if you using PNG the compression is much higher , but not really any use in AC as hardly anyone uses it the engine makes the .png back to dds and causes extra load doing so ,
But if you create 2/1 ratio and nice settings and textures I personally believe its the way forwards , but only make it this way once the car is final as its a nightmare to work with if you make changes you need to reset the XYZ UV Xform again quite annoying but the end results I believe are worth it ,
simply because all my skins I am making are all 4096x2048 scale :)

EDIT , Say for example Dan @A3DR makes a 4096x4096 texture for the Vortex ,
even though the ratio is not 2/1 on the UV , he can still save the textures as say 4096x2048 and they will be perfectly fine and still play fine , just have to check how the compression is , but either way its still be better than a 2048x2048 skin .

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware that dds can be saved at non-square sizes (the Gimp plugin I use doesn't allow it).
Gary never knew either , not sure its a wide known thing ,
Basically when people / artists / users ect create 3D then they create the UV , this UV depends on settings on the scale default is 1/1 ratio ,

but even using this default 1/1 ratio you can still apply for example 1024x512 textures to a 1/1 ratio ,
also if you create a 2/1 UV in the software like my chassis for example ,
I can still save textures as I say at 1024x1024 the texture and the UV do not have to match 1/1 but unsure of the resolution lost if anything ,
but for example in your .kn5 instead of using say 1024x1024 textures on a 1/1 UV default ,
you could save the maps as 1024x512 which will still be slightly better quality as a square 512x512 texture ,
just depends on the uses you require at the time , everything is multiplied and still needs to remain even ,

so for example you could save a dds as 1024x64 , as long as the numbers can be multiplied to match each other simply makes no difference of the size of the dds :)

I wasn't even aware that dds can be saved at non-square sizes (the Gimp plugin I use doesn't allow it).
Why wont it save it ,
strange , you dont actually change anything inside the plugin itself , you change the scale of the actual imagine ,
so if you have an image size of say 1024x1024 , simply change the image to say 1024x512 the scale then save the .dds it shouldnt make no difference , its not a setting in the dds settings itself , its the base image scale :)

I have done the front and roof anyways guys and the boot that all looks good ,
side is painted but wants going over again but all the stripes go front front to rear , just mainly sides need finishing now , I might do 3-4 of this variation , Yellow/Green / White/Black , I like that white and baby blue combo also thats a winner in my book , but let me know what more we can do I dont want to go crazy but a nice collection wont go a miss :)
1e47fbb5a8d9bed1b59d122ea7dad47f.jpg

Latest News

Back