RD MINI Challenge 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got round to my full race report!

The practice race on Monday went pretty well, so I had high hopes of my best result of the season, but still didn't expect to be 4th on the grid (especially after being 13th and 12th in the first two rounds)! Wasn't helped by some connection issues, which left me with less than 10 minutes in which to qualify...

Keeping in the toe is incredibly important here - managed to keep up with the aliens of my brother, Lee and Dan in the race on Monday, unfortunately I lost too much by the end of the first lap so had to concentrate on defending for the first half of the race. Had a great battle with @Dave Stephenson, @Morten Wernersen and a couple of others early on, luckily managed to break the toe after a few laps and kept the gap to Morten at around 1.5 seconds, until he made a mistake (I guess), and fell back a bit. Was helped hugely by Lee's mistake which gifted me 3rd, my first RD league podium!

Race 2 - genuinely didn't expect it to be anything like the first two rounds in regard to the guys at the back getting to the front. But somehow it was possible! Tried to stick with my teammate and Dan in the early stages, had some epic battles along the way (including the Hughes Racing and Mini Team Nordschleife team battle), and as with race one, I couldn't seem to shake off Morten! Managed to get as high as 5th towards the end, but Andy Pfannschmidt just pipped me in the end.

Pretty pleased to have somehow ended up 3rd in the championship, thanks to a couple of no-shows and retirements up the top. Not sure I'll stay there for long, but it's a pretty good view up here for now ;)

Q: 4th
R1: 3rd
R2: 6th

Thanks yet again to James and Liam, and cameraman Bram for the awesome coverage!

A little highlights video: apologies to those victims and culprits who have had their misfortune highlighted, but it made for a good video :p

Finally got round to my full race report!

The practice race on Monday went pretty well, so I had high hopes of my best result of the season, but still didn't expect to be 4th on the grid (especially after being 13th and 12th in the first two rounds)! Wasn't helped by some connection issues, which left me with less than 10 minutes in which to qualify...

Keeping in the toe is incredibly important here - managed to keep up with the aliens of my brother, Lee and Dan in the race on Monday, unfortunately I lost too much by the end of the first lap so had to concentrate on defending for the first half of the race. Had a great battle with @Dave Stephenson, @Morten Wernersen and a couple of others early on, luckily managed to break the toe after a few laps and kept the gap to Morten at around 1.5 seconds, until he made a mistake (I guess), and fell back a bit. Was helped hugely by Lee's mistake which gifted me 3rd, my first RD league podium!

Race 2 - genuinely didn't expect it to be anything like the first two rounds in regard to the guys at the back getting to the front. But somehow it was possible! Tried to stick with my teammate and Dan in the early stages, had some epic battles along the way (including the Hughes Racing and Mini Team Nordschleife team battle), and as with race one, I couldn't seem to shake off Morten! Managed to get as high as 5th towards the end, but Andy Pfannschmidt just pipped me in the end.

Pretty pleased to have somehow ended up 3rd in the championship, thanks to a couple of no-shows and retirements up the top. Not sure I'll stay there for long, but it's a pretty good view up here for now ;)

Q: 4th
R1: 3rd
R2: 6th

Thanks yet again to James and Liam, and cameraman Bram for the awesome coverage!

A little highlights video: apologies to those victims and culprits who have had their misfortune highlighted, but it made for a good video :p

Excellent video Nik.

@Mark Gormley
I just want to apologize once more for the incident from race one.
I didn't want to hit you, I even didn't want to pass anybody in this turn. After changing the raceline to have a better look for my brakepoint, I just was focused on it. Unfortunately I saw your brakelights to late and after hitting the brake I went on the gras trying to avoid an incident. After this moment I just was a spectator of what happend next, and it didn't went well.
I'm realy sorry.

Race #1: After a poor start, it took me a while to catch up with the main snake of cars leading back to 15th. Then had a great battle with Remco for many laps, swapping position and paint but always fair, leaving each other just enough room. Then another good tussle with Mat and Sam followed by a final battle to the line with Mark to finish in 13th - great stuff.

Race #2: From 23rd on the grid, a storming first lap and I find myself up to 12th already. Lap 2 and I'm 9th. Can it get much better? No - downhill all the way after that. Lap 4, going into the first corner and I miss my braking mark, slam the anchors on but too late to stop me collecting up Kevin and sending us both waltzing onto the grass. Real sorry about that one Kevin. Back in 19th now and I slowly claw back up to 13th but was losing form and getting a bit ragged. Eventually wiped myself out on lap 13 on the fast chicane. DNF.

Oh and a big thanks to the broadcast crew for another marvelous job. Really enjoying catching up with the rest of the action from the race and also my Sunday fill of motor sport, so today it was F1, followed by BTCC, followed by the Mini broadcast - great.

@Nik Hughes

Great highlights. Even though I watched the replay, I just noticed I avoided certain death twice in the second race, so I was quite lucky in the end.

Also, I have to apologize to Mike Bishop for changing direction in race 1 before the braking zone. It's not an excuse, but the car steering was a bit off-center, so I didn't notice I was going to the left until we touched, and even then I thought you had hit me from behind. My apologies.

So I finally got my chance to step in an as a reserve driver....
My start in Race 1 was terrible and following a bit of contact I'd dropped from 8th to 21st within the first few corners. I had some great battles working back through the mid-field with some very close, often too close racing ;)
Unfortunately my race was ended when a driver made a very unsafe return to the track in the middle of the last corner! I did manage to avoid him but at the expense of ending up in the wall and on fire :(
The 2nd race I started again in 8th, got a much better start and managed to work my way up to 2nd and was cruising until I saw Dan in my mirrors. I decided to not make it too difficult for him to pass - I didn't want to be the reserve driver that messed up a championship contenders race - and he had way more pace, but I don't think that's what he expected and we had slight contact in the confusion but fortunately no real damage.
I kept the gap to the drivers behind pretty constant throughout the rest of the race to come home in a very satisfying 2nd place :)
Hopefully I'll get the chance to compete in another race this season.

Excellent work by the broadcasting team too :thumbsup:

Time for a reporty report:

Qualifying: I got a 1:19.2 iirc, which is decent, but 4 tenths off my PB. I just couldn't get a good lap in, making mistake after mistake. 17th in the grid.

Race 1: After an average start, I passed 1 driver and was passed twice, so I was 18th into the first corner. Then there was an incident ahead, between T1 and T2. I didn't notice the road was blocked to the right so I didn't brake, but Kevin Cordice had to go left and hit me, sending me to the barriers. Bad luck, and bad awareness from me. I got a broken front and left side, and when I rejoined the track, it felt a bit dangerous so I went offtrack for a while until it was clear. On hindsight, there was enough of a gap behind Mike Bishop to rejoin, I think. I lost way too much time there.

After that, I was 34th. The steering was a bit off-center, but the car seemed to drive well (just a bit slow on the straight and I had to turn the wheel quite a bit in the left hand hairpin). I moved up to 24th, then went offtrack in the last corner and lost 2 positions. I had a good fight with Dave Simmons, but when I overtook him, he went offtrack. I think I hit him, and in the race I stopped and let him through (and Marco Bijl since he was in between), but the replay doesn't show a hit. Anyway, I'm sorry if I hit you.

In the closing laps, I had a nice battle with Mike Bishop, where I failed to overtake him twice in the first corner, I kept braking too late and losing a lot of time going offtrack, and then I had to catch him again. Finally, I had a good slipstream and got ahead of him before the braking zone, but then I swerved a bit and it upset his car. He managed to stay right behind me though. And that was the last lap, in the end I managed 19th, which wasn't a good result at all looking at the points, but perhaps the best I could achieve since the gap with the next car was too big.

Race 2: I started 16th, and had a better launch than in Race 1. I passed Mike Bishop before T1, and I was hoping not to crash again. I got through without any problems, and managed to climb to 12th, but in the left hand hairpin I got too greedy and went to the grass. I lost a few positions, but by the end of the lap I was 13rd behind Lee Ross. And then I had a lot of scary moments. I'm not sure if it was the lag, or if Ross really brakes that way, but I kept misjudging his braking, which meant I almost rear ended him in a few braking zones (in fact, I'm pretty sure I gave him a bump in T1).

After Lee crashed, I was 6th behind Mike Bishop. Dab Allison got past both of us :)alien:) and then I tried to overtake Mike Bishop, but he closed the door a bit too aggresively in T1/T2 (in my opinion) when I was on the inside and it sent me offtrack. It wasn't a big deal, and I managed to get back right behind him. Then I lost concentration, and went off in the left hand hairpin. I lost 3 positions, then another 2 to Andreas Pfannschmidt and Nik Hughes. I avoided a retirement when Lucas Degen lost control of the car and darted to the left, passing right behind my car (that was scary to watch).

I had a great fight with Morten Wernersen in the last laps, going side-by-side a few times and overtaking each other anytime we could. In the last corner, I was 7th, and Nik Hughes in 6th seemed to go a bit slow, so I thought I could attack him and pass him before the finish line, but then Morten bumped me so I couldn't take advantage of it. In the end, 7th.

So, first race the position wasn't too good, but in race 2 I felt I could have done better without so many mistakes. So I agree with Liam Jenkins (or was it James Kirk?), I need to be consistent. As long as I keep making mistakes everytime anything doesn't go as planned, I won't have a chance at a top 5 position, which would be really nice.

So that's probably my goal for Londrina, get consistent. And of course, having fun, but with these cars, it's almost guaranteed.

As always, thanks a lot to Liam Jenkins, James Kirk and Bram Hengeveld for the broadcast, and Bram and RaceDepartment for this championship. Congratulations to Jimi Hughes and Dan Allinson for their wins (aliens!) and to everyone who took part in the race. Hopefully, Londrina will be cleaner (well, it seems easier to overtake, and it's wider). So see you all in Londrina!

/bibleover

Any idea of what layout will be used for the Londrina race?

I've done some laps in the short track, there doesn't seem to be too much diference, although the long layout might be safer?

If the recent club events are anything to go by it will be the shorter 'stock car' layout with the nasty, twitchy chicane! But I can't confirm this

Drivers will have to take it easy on the first lap or 2. Londrina will be a case of "the better of 2 evils".

You either have the chicane which most people have raced on in previous club and league events. Or you have the nasty fast right, tight slow left with a wall right infront of you. Which has caught out lots of people in club events.

Either way drivers need to be carful at the start and remeber that cars are infront, to the left, to the right and behind them.

Crashing out is always a possibility in racing. Its the nature of the beast. But we can all minimise the risk by being aware of other drivers around you and not trying to win the race in the first corner.

Practice with a full grid of AI to get the feel of lapping with other cars and it will better prepare all of us for the league race.

Ive set up club races for this friday and next monday on each of the layouts.

Fridays Club Race - Londrina Long

Mondays Club Race - Londrina

I would encourage all drivers in the RDMCC to try to attend the races so we can get a feel of which one suits the league best.

I will only be able to make the Monday night event but I will make sure I have driven both beforehand so I can give you some feedback.

Either way is good though, The more challenging circuits are always more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back