RD Le Mans Series Season 7 (rFactor 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMPORTANT!

Given the current state and potentially unstable nature of the DX11 upgrade, which is being regularly updated with patches and hot-fixes to resolve issues, we recommend that RDLMS participants continue / revert back to using DX9 for Round 2 of the series. In spite of recent updates, and also for the best interests of your team and the league, this is the official advice as we would like to ensure that everyone participating in the event has a working, stable version of the game.

We understand that you may be disappointed by this recommendation, but please note it is just that - a recommendation. If you would prefer to continue using DX11 then of course we cannot prevent you from doing so, however we would strongly advise against it at least for the time being; ultimately, use DX11 at your own peril!

We appreciate that people want to test and use the updated build, put DX11 through its paces, provide feedback to Studio 397, and most importantly enjoy the benefits of the improved graphics and effects. However a league race, and the RDLMS in particular, is not the right place or time to do this in our opinion. The DX11 upgrade is still only experimental, and very much in its infancy. As it develops, and once there are no apparent performance or graphics related problems with the mod and / or game (or if there is an issue that can be relatively easily resolved) then we will have no reservations in recommending and supporting DX11 as well as DX9. Further advice provided during the course of the season as work on the game and mod(s) continue to improve stability, performance and compatibility. At this stage, however, the advice is to run the game with DX9.

NOTE: the server is fully compatible with both the DX9 and DX11 versions of the game.

IMPORTANT!

Given the current state and potentially unstable nature of the DX11 upgrade, which is being regularly updated with patches and hot-fixes to resolve issues, we recommend that RDLMS participants continue / revert back to using DX9 for Round 2 of the series. In spite of recent updates, and also for the best interests of your team and the league, this is the official advice as we would like to ensure that everyone participating in the event has a working, stable version of the game.

We understand that you may be disappointed by this recommendation, but please note it is just that - a recommendation. If you would prefer to continue using DX11 then of course we cannot prevent you from doing so, however we would strongly advise against it at least for the time being; ultimately, use DX11 at your own peril!

We appreciate that people want to test and use the updated build, put DX11 through its paces, provide feedback to Studio 397, and most importantly enjoy the benefits of the improved graphics and effects. However a league race, and the RDLMS in particular, is not the right place or time to do this in our opinion. The DX11 upgrade is still only experimental, and very much in its infancy. As it develops, and once there are no apparent performance or graphics related problems with the mod and / or game (or if there is an issue that can be relatively easily resolved) then we will have no reservations in recommending and supporting DX11 as well as DX9. Further advice provided during the course of the season as work on the game and mod(s) continue to improve stability, performance and compatibility. At this stage, however, the advice is to run the game with DX9.

NOTE: the server is fully compatible with both the DX9 and DX11 versions of the game.

Seriously 2 off tracks before getting a penalty? Definitely two hard. If I get a off track in lap 1 to avoid an incident I have to drive 80 laps without any off track! And as well as it was in rf1 the aiw file or rather the cutting corridor doesn't not work well in rf2. Some laps aren't a cut and some are even if you drive almost the same line. I don't have any problem to stay within the white lines but 2 off tracks before getting a pently is really to hard.

Seriously 2 off tracks before getting a penalty? Definitely two hard. If I get a off track in lap 1 to avoid an incident I have to drive 80 laps without any off track! And as well as it was in rf1 the aiw file or rather the cutting corridor doesn't not work well in rf2. Some laps aren't a cut and some are even if you drive almost the same line. I don't have any problem to stay within the white lines but 2 off tracks before getting a pently is really to hard.
Unfortunately that is hard coded into rF2 so there is no way to change it really.

As long as you lift off and slow down considerably before rejoining (or exit the track REALLY smoothly) you shouldn't receive a warning.

Unfortunately that is hard coded into rF2 so there is no way to change it really.

As long as you lift off and slow down considerably before rejoining (or exit the track REALLY smoothly) you shouldn't receive a warning.

That's one side of the medal. The other side is that we are racing and use every millimeter of the track. Penalizing is definitely OK. I guess everyone of us have seen a race in Silverstone. Remember last year in F1. They were going nowhere to the left on the entry of start/finish without any penalties. I don't complain about penalizing itself, just about the amount before getting a penalty.
And yes Matheus it is hard coded. But I guess Gijs is aware of that and know a edited aiw file can have its own head. The idea itself is great but imo the game randomize cuts sometimes.

That's one side of the medal. The other side is that we are racing and use every millimeter of the track. Penalizing is definitely OK. I guess everyone of us have seen a race in Silverstone. Remember last year in F1. They were going nowhere to the left on the entry of start/finish without any penalties. I don't complain about penalizing itself, just about the amount before getting a penalty.
And yes Matheus it is hard coded. But I guess Gijs is aware of that and know a edited aiw file can have its own head. The idea itself is great but imo the game randomize cuts sometimes.
I think you have slightly misunderstood Stefan. Drivers are entitled to 2 warnings before a penalty is awarded. And as Matheus has rightly pointed out there is nothing we can do to change this - number of warnings given before a Stop/Go penalty is issued - because it is hard coded into the game. I believe Studio 397 are looking to make this a configurable parameter at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future, in addition to making further improvements to the whole warning / penalty system. But for now this is the best (and really the only) thing that we have to help prevent cutting. Not to mention that speed bumps were deemed dangerous, so we had to implement something as a cutting deterrent and to aid the live stewards during a race (since it would be difficult for us to look out for every cut).

The in-game feature is the best option at our disposal, and contrary to beliefs that the cut detection is unreliable and not deterministic it is actually a rather complex piece of logic that determines time gained, positions gained (or lost), direction of travel, and a number of other factors before calculating whether or not a warning / penalty should be awarded if a car is off the track. There is no randomness in the calculation or the process - provided the track area has been properly defined, and the cut detection threshold has been setup correctly there should be no issues, and there will be consistency in the warnings / penalties. To account for any potential problems there is a bit of leeway before the cut detection logic is triggered. But ultimately you should be looking to stay within the white lines, marking the circuit boundary, at all times anyway. Also the cut detection is not something that we have just introduced; the feature is built into the game - it cannot really be deactivated (unless the parameters are set to unrealistic values) - and the cut detection threshold at Silverstone has been set according to RD's rules since the first custom version of the track was released back in April for the RDLMS. In this time we have received one report of an issue, and upon reviewing the evidence we actually found that there were no problems with warnings or penalties being inconsistently awarded. Though it may seem random, the logic will determine how much time a car has gained between the period of cutting a corner or going wide and returning to the track.

However, if you adhere to the rules then you will have nothing to worry about. Also I would hazard a guess that you have not fully read through the announcements; the first point of the Tips & Hints sub-section clearly states that you can simply avoid a warning or penalty by briefly (depending on the period of time for which you are off the track) lifting off the accelerator as you return to the circuit, before reapplying the throttle when you have returned to the track. This will help to negate any time gain. So if you ever find yourself off the track then do this and you'll be fine. If you have any problems or would like to dispute any automatic penalties during the race then feel free to speak with Race Control and we shall assess the situation; we recommend that you / your teammates take note of the laps when warnings and penalties were issued so that it is possible for us to easily go through the replay.

But I guess Gijs is aware of that and know a edited aiw file can have its own head.

In dev mode i can see the corridor you need to stay in. As long as you stay within that corridor you'll be fine.
There are no "IFs" in that sentence. ;)

- Keep 2 wheels on the racesurface: You won't get a warning or penalty. :thumbsup: That's a 100% guarantee.
- When you get a warning: you have been off track: Outside the white lines with all 4 wheels. That's a 100% guarantee.

The idea itself is great but imo the game randomize cuts sometimes.
The benefit of doubt or what feels to you as random, is at your advantage.
There might be situations where you can get away with a cut or going wide without a warning or penalty.

IF you need to go wide to avoid an incident. Release the throttle, look in your mirrors and rejoin the track safely.

Seriously 2 off tracks before getting a penalty? Definitely two hard.

Like Damain, i can't disagree on this fact. But putting those added speed bumps from Sao Paulo on the exits of Stowe and Copse will end up in carnage if just go wide once.

2 wheels off on the exit of Copse I've found to give a warning, or a lap deletion. I do feel that over the course of 12 hours this could cause some issues, especially if a GTE vs. LMP overtake goes slightly wrong or people misread in the dark even if no advantage is gained.

2 wheels off on the exit of Copse I've found to give a warning, or a lap deletion. I do feel that over the course of 12 hours this could cause some issues, especially if a GTE vs. LMP overtake goes slightly wrong or people misread in the dark even if no advantage is gained.

If no advantage is gained, it should not give you a warning.

It was just a suggestion and yes I have read everything Daiman :) I think the corridors are set correctly but sometimes I can't get rid of the feeling that rf is doing what it want :p Anyway...I will stay within the lines.
Of course Stefan, and I am sure that you have read the announcement. :thumbsup: Apologies if the tone of my message came across as harsh; I was at work and in a rush, the pressure is getting to me a little now that the race is less that 2 days away, and my intention was merely to justify why we using the in-game cut detection feature in addition to briefly explaining how it works. :) I can understand that you may have reservations about the cut detection from the rF1 days, but it seems to be working pretty well now. And as Gijs has said, we all agree that being given 2 warnings before a penalty is quite harsh, especially during an endurance race, but this is what we have got to work with for the time being. :whistling: We hope that Studio 397 will allow this parameter to be configurable very soon.

Glad it's a 6 hour race then :D
If no advantage is gained, it should not give you a warning.
HAHAHA, as Sherwin has rightly pointed out it is only a 6 hour race at Silverstone. :p But I can understand your concerns Dan. Copse was actually one of the corners that we looked at when the bug report was submitted a few weeks ago, and we did not find any issues here based on the evidence that was provided, nor could we replicate the problem. :whistling: Nevertheless, we have added a little bit more room for error in the current version of the custom track mod to ensure that there are no false positives. :thumbsup: Just to be certain, were at least 2 wheels on the track or did you have 4 wheels on the curb at Copse when a warning was given? If you ever find yourself off the track at this corner lift off the throttle, and attempt to rejoin the track as quickly as possible (provided it is safe), before reapplying the accelerator. This will prevent a warning or penalty from being issued, because you will not have gained any time or an advantage as Johannes has said. :)

Track is fine i had no issues with cutting unless I'm over zealous into T1. You can cut pit exit though is this allowed? ( wheels over white line).
The natural kerbs do a good job here.
Cheers for the feedback Mark! I'm glad to hear that you're getting on well with the cut detection rules. :thumbsup: And as you have said the curbs do decent job of preventing cutting, and occasionally slowing the car down which in turn also deters cutting.

Regarding the white line at the pit exit, since I am unsure as to whether you are referring to the one on the right as you exit the pit lane, or the line on the left as you enter the track, I shall provide a response about both. The white line at the end of the pit lane, on the right hand side, can be cut since it is not really possible to gain time at this point when you are exiting the pits. As for the pit exit line, as you enter the track, it is also possible to "cut" here given that there is nothing implemented in the game to prevent or deter a car from entering the track sooner than it should, and there is no real time to be gained by doing this either. However, if there is an incident at this point on the track, caused by a car exiting the pits and crossing the white line, then a drive-through penalty will be issued by Race Control.

And can we cut the pit road to the inside line at the end of the pit straight?
Yes, this is possible - please see my response above. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back