AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Donington1938, Wed 21st September 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I really didn't get on well with this track. In practice I just couldn't trust the amount of grip and was under or oversteering all over the place. Had to settle for playing it safe.

Qualified 15th with my fastest lap.

Made a great start, straight up the middle, avoided the worst collisions and got up to 6th. Thanks to mistakes and being cautious I slid well back again.

Had a great battle with Colin for the last 20 minutes with Wayne joining in and getting past.

Colin was ahead on the start finish and we got an extra lap as Ernie didn't overtake. Tracked Colin all the way but couldn't get past. On the last corner I got a marginally faster exit and had an agonising drag to the line. Pipped Colin for P13 by 0.059 seconds, amazingly close.

Thanks for the race, everyone, and congratulations to the podiums, especially Robert @Alfred Wayne who got P3 in class for his second class podium.

This was carnage. Lost many positions in first two laps due to avoiding other incidents. In second lap difficult situation again with fighting cars ahead which resulted in a spin after the bridge, could have handled that situation prior to the spin better, no offense to the cars ahead. Only touched the bridge by an inch with the back of the car which was enough for a full spin. Tried to not move but standing position was not ideal so some guys spun going wide into the corner. Sorry to all affected! After that rhythm and concentration was gone and did some further mistakes. Had some nice fights later e.g. with Carsten and Raul. At least pace was good, could do a 2.02.4 without any slipstream in race. So hope for better luck next time.
By the way from your experience: are the speeds in replay of other cars accurate or not? Did compare some corner speeds and actually they cant be accurate.

cu next time

Had a great start but got all undone before T1 'coz of a traffic-sandwich. Too bad. Got me last place as a result so I put my head down and got to work on a recovery race.... at the end I got back up to my initial starting position but not without a plethora of incidents, just one of them of my own doing. It was an eventful race and some contact could have been avoided with precaution but, on the other hand, it made the race challenging, which is better than having good laps in no-man's land, IMHO. Congratulations to the winners and podium finishers and thanks again for organizing Han... I'm glad you managed to land on track after that spectacular Cirque du Soleil moment, and continue untlil the end. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Had a lot of luck following my bad start, nothing new there.:roflmao:
Not much to say , had an enjoyable race and a lot of fun, especially with Han who had good pace, helping me catch up to Hank. Plus the bribes I paid to all those nice Mazda drivers helped me keep Fulvio at bay.:)

FC9B84FC-D107-4E8A-AE9C-1350226F3603.gif

Thanks Doug @Douglas Aird Think I'm finally starting to get a hang of this little convertible :). At least at tracks like this without too many sharp turns. Shame you had that off, had some good battles with you, Callum and Andre throughout the race :thumbsup:.

Good racing everyone. Hopefully I didn't push anyone off at the start. I had to lift for a split second thanks to the winning abarths slow start ahead of me ;):laugh:

Thanks all for the close, but fair racing.

See you next race. Looking forward to trying to survive the GTO next week at Sebring after today's historic setting :)

Last edited:
First I need to apologise to @Allan Ramsbottom that I put him in the Mazda. Ernie and I were very much looking forward to finally beat him on this track where the Abarth was clearly faster. I promise I won't do it again.

I had a great race. Bad start so several Mazdas came for me for T1. And Paul did that in his Fiat too. Then I got lucky in the carnage as I think all the cars that passed me except Allan were involved. So I was 3rd behind Hank and Allan. Slowly I closed the gap to Allan and when he came out a bit bad in the last corner I was able to overtake him on the start/finish straight. I was afraid he would knock me off for putting him in the MX5 but he took it as a gentleman. A few laps later Ernie appeared in my mirror. He had a great pace and I was hoping Allan would slow him down for a few laps, but that wasn't the case. We had a nice battle for a few laps but a bad last corner gave him a chance to get on the inside in T1 and that was it. Meanwhile the gap with Hank had remained the same and when he lost time fighting Ernie I was able to get closer. After the hairpin bend, he went off the track and made a half spin. Now 2nd the rest of the race went smoothly until blue flag cars came into view. First I lost about 3 seconds as Herkus came out of the pits in T1 on my intended race line so I had to brake which gave me a terrible exit. Later on, on the start/finish straight, Raul asked me where I wanted to overtake him, so I said "after T1". I lined up for the overtake but he didn't really slow down so we went side by side in T2 and T3 where I suddenly got oversteer and went into the earthen embankment and the car began tumbling around. Magically I came back on 4 wheels and even on the right side of the embankment. Lost about 17 seconds so Fulvio was able to get 2nd but I was happy to finally keep on finishing 3rd. As a bonus I managed to do the fastest lap of the race!

Congratulations on the podium. Thank you all for joining. Racing with 20+ cars is so much fun especially when the voice chat is used by most of you.

I hope that the FAT-ALFIE championship with these cars will have as many participants. There's room for 30 spots, thanks to @Fat-Alfie who increased the number of pitsstop places of Thomson Road on my request.

Last edited:
That was horrible, I have not seen these amounts of incompetent driving, and bad decisions in the 2,5 years I´m simracing.

A complete **** show that should result in a demotion to Kettcar racing:sick:

Kettcar.jpg

Oh, and some of you guys didn´t do so swell either ;)

To my utter surprise despite my getting cleared away in the 3rd second of the race (again:mad:) and the egregious cock up that followed I had a blast and really enjoyed racing with you guys.

On a more earnest note:

I suggested that you should prepare for the race by doing "race simulations, aka AI races.
Working through a field of AI would have prepared you better for the offcamber corners after Starkeys Bridge, we had a lot of unnessescary death and suffering there:cry:
Also the "unusual starting grid" would not have been a surprise:cool:

On this note, Han really should organise a masterclass how to "offroad safely".
(Hint, I evaded a lot of crashes there and even passed a slow car with the right wheels in the gras while others died when merely touching green.
This is where real world car control comes in handy)

Thanks Han for organizing and the whole bunch of you for an enjoyable evening

MFG Carsten)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this track despite being slow after a summer break with little racing and only one quick practice session. The track had a nice flow to it and the variable track surface gave a different challenge. I never did understand how to take T1 though.

I was pleased with my carnage avoidance in the first few laps and managed to gain a bunch of places. As faster people started to come past me I made mistakes and crashed at noth the old hairpin (sorry @Dzul) and into the gate at Coppice house, which was frustrating as I was quite pleased with my race until then. I ended up back where I started in 18th.

Some time spent working on basic technique would beneficial as I seem to have got a bit scrappy and messy which translates to slow.

it's a bit hard to fight when you're 5 seconds off the pace, but my excuse is I didn't have a setup, not even sure the tyre pressures were the best either.:notworthy:
I'm nowhere near top pace but I don't bother touching the setup on the Mazda (apart from tyre pressure) . Practice is more beneficial to me than setup. I always find a bit more time the more I practice. There might be a bit more if I tweeked the setup but I'm not sure what difference it makes when you're not an alien.

Last edited:
First I need to apologise to @Allan Ramsbottom that I put him in the Mazda. Ernie and I were very much looking forward to finally beat him on this track where the Abarth was clearly faster. I promise I won't do it again.

I had a great race. Bad start so several Mazdas came for me for T1. And Paul did that in his Fiat too. Then I got lucky in the carnage as I think all the cars that passed me except Allan were involved. So I was 3rd behind Hank and Allan. Slowly I closed the gap to Allan and when he came out a bit bad in the last corner I was able to overtake him on the start/finish straight. I was afraid he would knock me off for putting him in the MX5 but he took it as a gentleman. A few laps later Ernie appeared in my mirror. He had a great pace and I was hoping Allan would slow him down for a few laps, but that wasn't the case. We had a nice battle for a few laps but a bad last corner gave him a chance to get on the inside in T1 and that was it. Meanwhile the gap with Hank had remained the same and when he lost time fighting Ernie I was able to get closer. After the hairpin bend, he went off the track and made a half spin. Now 2nd the rest of the race went smoothly until blue flag cars came into view. First I lost about 3 seconds as Herkus came out of the pits in T1 on my intended race line so I had to brake which gave me a terrible exit. Later on, on the start/finish straight, Raul asked me where I wanted to overtake him, so I said "after T1". I lined up for the overtake but he didn't really slow down so we went side by side in T2 and T3 where I suddenly got oversteer and went into the earthen embankment and the car began tumbling around. Magically I came back on 4 wheels and even on the right side of the embankment. Lost about 17 seconds so Fulvio was able to get 2nd but I was happy to finally keep on finishing 3rd. As a bonus I managed to do the fastest lap of the race!

Congratulations on the podium. Thank you all for joining. Racing with 20+ cars is so much fun especially when the voice chat is used by most of you.

I hope that the FAT-ALFIE championship with these cars will have as many participants. There's room for 30 spots, thanks to @Fat-Alfie who increased the number of pitsstop places of Thomson Road on my request.
Han, glad you enjoyed the chat in the race but I personally had to switch it off most of the time as it as broke my concentration. From my point of view there was way too much non-essential noise. If others are happy with that much noise then fine but I probably missed some important info. Maybe limit it to when you need to communicate with another driver?

Latest News

Back