AMS2 Fake 24 Hours of Spa - Friday May 13, 2022

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Spa GT1.jpeg

After a few weeks of fun with the lighter protype we are moving on to the P2 class and race the MetalMoro MRX Duratec P2 but this time in a mixed field with a non-rookie car the GT1. Today we are going to race for a full hour, make a pitstop and experience a full day night cycle on the legendary Spa track in a multiclass race. Lots to learn and enjoy during this rookie friendly event.

Are you new to simracing, aka a rookie, and want to race with more experienced simracers who will show you the ropes and help you as much as they can during a casual fun online event, don't miss out and sign up today! (experienced drivers are of course very much welcome as always!)

You will not get any faster or skilled by not racing online, you will only get faster with online practice and resistance with other real drivers surrounding you. Especially when these drivers are your friendly fellow community members who are happy to assist you with driving tips, techniques or even setups. Simply join us on Discord during the event and chat away. We don't bite, I promise :)

Do you want to become a better pilot, take your chance now and start your online sim racing career here on RD and sign up in the comments below. :)

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Server Password: brit
Server Settings: open setups, factory settings
Track: Spa-Francorchamps
Cars: GT1 & MetalMoro MRX Duratec P2
Discord: Join us on the #Automobilista-2 voice chat during the event. Join our Discord here and check out the #read-this-first how to setup and syncronize your premium account.
Rules: Read or watch our racing club rules

Time Table

Practice: 18:30 UTC / 19:30 BST / 20:30 CEST (60 minutes) Join whenever you want during practice
Qualifying: 19:30 UTC / 20:30 BST / 21:30 CEST (10 minutes)
Race: 19:40 UTC / 20:40 BST / 21:40 CEST (60 minutes + mandatory pitstop)

Entry List

GT1

1. Steve Worrell
  2. Ramon van Rijn
  3. Redvaliant
  4. Casper de Wit
  5. Paul Glover
  6. Bhutch88
  7. Noahbet
  8. Kryztov
  9. Kek700
  10. Enzo Fazzi
  11. Kees Veenstra
  12. Piotrek Blaszczak
  13. Magnus Dahlgren
  14. Free slot
P2
  1. dannyhughan
  2. mktjf
  3. Ingemar Petersson
  4. nepal roade
  5. GeekyDeaks
  6. Smidgey
  7. Bram Hengeveld
  8. Bandana
  9. Fiberoptix
  10. Reiche
  11. Free slot
  12. Free slot
  13. Free slot
  14. Free slot
  15. Free slot
  16. Free slot

Last edited:
File location:
C:\Users\-your username-\Documents\Automobilista 2\savegame\103706361\automobilista 2\media

Then it's a .med file. Which one, probably the one with the most recent date since they all have strange names...
the string of numbers will be different to each person but you should only have one folder in there (its your SteamID)

"View from the back"
That was good fun and I kept the P2 facing the right way for the whole race so I'm definetly improving race by race.
The fog layers were awesome in VR.
I got the fuel strategy wrong as I still had 45litres left at the end so need to work out fuel usage better for the next time. Also need to assign a pit limiter key as i got penalised for pit lane.
It was tricky trying not hold up the GT1 guys for too long.
Thanks Bram for organising.

It was tricky trying not hold up the GT1 guys for too long.
This is probably the main reason I think multiclass isn't something for an event with 'rookies' in the description. I'm an old fart and it's tricky enough keeping my own car on the track, let alone worrying about someone else that is approaching far quicker than I can properly estimate. I had the misfortune to clobber someone at the top of raidillon, which surely must have buggered up their race, but I also saw two other instances where people got tangled with the slower class too

- Link to my race PoV. Might want to give it a bit before watching so YouTube can do its thing with the video quality.

If people don't have any issues with it going forward I'm more than happy to stream the races going forward.

Last edited:
This is probably the main reason I think multiclass isn't something for an event with 'rookies' in the description. I'm an old fart and it's tricky enough keeping my own car on the track, let alone worrying about someone else that is approaching far quicker than I can properly estimate. I had the misfortune to clobber someone at the top of raidillon, which surely must have buggered up their race, but I also saw two other instances where people got tangled with the slower class too
I managed to avoid contact with any other car, I have just started using Crew Chief and it is quite good at warning you of faster cars approaching etc. It even told me the GT1 class leader was approaching which I thought was pretty cool.

I managed to avoid contact with any other car, I have just started using Crew Chief and it is quite good at warning you of faster cars approaching etc. It even told me the GT1 class leader was approaching which I thought was pretty cool.
It keep telling me my tyres were cold ..which they weren't lol

These Friday night races keep getting better and better. I might be the only person with this opinion but I think I actually prefer the P2 to the P3 - I had so much fun dialling in just the right amount of TC to let me kick the tail out in sector 2 :D

I was part of some of the closest racing I've experienced in my short time at RD, these kind of experiences are really helping me develop my racecraft and consistency. Cheers to the P2 guys around P17-P20 for some really great battles!

On the multiclass element - I can see why it can be a frustrating experience for some, and I totally understand why people want to move away from it. I personally witnessed 2 major inter-class incidents at Blanchimont and Raidillon that could have been avoided. But just to give my perspective as someone finding his feet in sim racing - I've learned so much from being part of a slower class. Keeping an eye on mirrors and blue flags, jumping off line at the right time to let a battle come through, trying to grab a little bit of a tow through Blanchimont or the Kemmel to help in whatever P2 battle I'm trying to win, it's all an awesome experience, especially in a race designed for us rookies to learn this kind of thing. Also having an "alien class" (anyone in GT1 was an alien in comparison to me) and a rookie class gave me a clear indicator of who to actually battle and who to simply allow past. In single class racing I'm often thinking "is this guy in my kind of skill/speed window or should I jump out the way?" That wasn't really a consideration tonight, and the wheel-to-wheel racing that I got stuck into was really memorable as a result.

Bloody hell that was longer than I was expecting :roflmao: as always, cheers to Bram for organising and to everyone else for taking part. Also, spa at night is drop-dead gorgeous.

Hey @Casper de Wit was it you I took out at the top of raidillon? So sorry, I was just a little too focused at that bit of the track and didn't realise you had closed in so quickly

Yep! No worries, I was passing you at the top as we entered the Kemmel Straight and I thought you had seen me!

At lap one I got a bit of a knock in the back that set me down about half way to the P2 field. Had a fun fight getting on the tail of Red Vailiant and managed to overtake him eventually! I love these GT1's.

Sorry for the bad overtake on my part @Bram Hengeveld , I was too focussed on Enzo closing in on me.

The 24hr format is lovely, really enjoyed all of it.

think we had a nice battle for position early on, scott! you had my measure from pouhon to stavelot- got collected by an excited P1 after exiting blanchimont at sunset and switched to hypermiling thru the short night to recover. stopped very late but my HMD (v-cosmos) decided to reboot on the final lap. still fun, mostly..

These Friday night races keep getting better and better. I might be the only person with this opinion but I think I actually prefer the P2 to the P3 - I had so much fun dialling in just the right amount of TC to let me kick the tail out in sector 2 :D

I was part of some of the closest racing I've experienced in my short time at RD, these kind of experiences are really helping me develop my racecraft and consistency. Cheers to the P2 guys around P17-P20 for some really great battles!

On the multiclass element - I can see why it can be a frustrating experience for some, and I totally understand why people want to move away from it. I personally witnessed 2 major inter-class incidents at Blanchimont and Raidillon that could have been avoided. But just to give my perspective as someone finding his feet in sim racing - I've learned so much from being part of a slower class. Keeping an eye on mirrors and blue flags, jumping off line at the right time to let a battle come through, trying to grab a little bit of a tow through Blanchimont or the Kemmel to help in whatever P2 battle I'm trying to win, it's all an awesome experience, especially in a race designed for us rookies to learn this kind of thing. Also having an "alien class" (anyone in GT1 was an alien in comparison to me) and a rookie class gave me a clear indicator of who to actually battle and who to simply allow past. In single class racing I'm often thinking "is this guy in my kind of skill/speed window or should I jump out the way?" That wasn't really a consideration tonight, and the wheel-to-wheel racing that I got stuck into was really memorable as a result.

Bloody hell that was longer than I was expecting :roflmao: as always, cheers to Bram for organising and to everyone else for taking part. Also, spa at night is drop-dead gorgeous.
They had TC adjustment ? Never checked that. Bugger.

So as someone that was done a lot of multiclass and endurance racing in sims over the years, my main bits of advice are

Slower cars
  1. Be predictable - Dont randomly slow down to let faster cars by or swerve across the track
  2. Hold your line - follow up to number 1. Far easier for the faster car to handle the overtake when you're consistent in just holding your line into a corner.
  3. Be prepared - Use whatever tools you have access to (Crew Chief, ingame relative timings, mirrors) to prepare for faster cars approaching.
Faster cars
  1. Be patient - Don't just send it every half chance you get to overtake a slower class car - some tracks will require you to sit behind a slower class car until you can safely make an overtake - Better to lose 2 seconds now than end yours and another cars race because you got impatient.
  2. Know where you're faster - This wasn't too much of a challenge tonight as the GT1s outclasses the P2 almost anywhere but sometimes you'll have combos where the classes have similar cornering or straight line speeds. Use practice to work out where you're going to be faster and remember point 1 about patience. These tend to be longer races so you'll make whatever time back when the car ahead runs into traffic in a similar situation.
This is absolutely not a rant or aimed at anyone inparticular. I didn't see anything too outrageous this evening from my PoV so this is already an improvement over basically any other endurace type event of done over the years :D

Damn, I should have expected someone would immediately prove me incorrect :D.

Well done though. Too often people seem to feel the need to be fast when they start racing, but I found keeping out of trouble was a better skill to learn early on

Damn, I should have expected someone would immediately prove me incorrect :D.

Well done though. Too often people seem to feel the need to be fast when they start racing, but I found keeping out of trouble was a better skill to learn early on
Considering that was the first race in a P2 I found it easier to handle than the P3's, perhaps it's because it's not on the ragged edge all the time. Give me a few more races and hopefully I'll be up your chuff :laugh:

Was it you me and rev battling away in the early stages? That was some great racing. Really clean and respectful. I was still getting accustomed to the car and it was really interesting seeing where people were confident in the car and trying to quickly adapt your own lines and braking points

Starting to wonder if those glitches a lot of us were getting were tied to pit crews loading in and out? Seems like the freezes lined up with the pit windows rather than specific day/night stuff.

Was it you me and rev battling away in the early stages? That was some great racing. Really clean and respectful. I was still getting accustomed to the car and it was really interesting seeing where people were confident in the car and trying to quickly adapt your own lines and braking points
I think it was - we went around nose to tail for a fair few laps before a couple of unrelated incidents split us all up as night fell. It was a shame because we were having a magnificent fight!

Shortly afterwards, I ended up in the pitlane twice in 2 laps after completely missing my pit box on the first attempt, so my focus turned to battling Tim and Stefan at the back. If I remember correctly, I managed to get past Tim when his tail got a bit loose coming out of the bus stop, and Stefan and I somehow fought all the way through Pouhon at full tilt. Just some incredible racing throughout.

Starting to wonder if those glitches a lot of us were getting were tied to pit crews loading in and out? Seems like the freezes lined up with the pit windows rather than specific day/night stuff.
Crossed my mind as well. 2 people said they had a freeze just as I left my pitbox after my stop.

Personally I didn't have any freezes at all.

Latest News

Back