AC Classic Races: Lotus 25@Donington 1938, Tue 4th July 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Another great tip with these cars is to feather the brakes.Especially on this track the back downhill section your going flat out,so look to brake slightly earlier,theres a good marker on the right, think its a sign with a telegragh pole,i slam the brake on there, and i mean slam them on,ever wondered why your brakes dont lock up at very high speed??,only when you slow down to around 70-90 mph your brakes start to lock up,so at this point i slightly start pumping the brakes, plus gearing dwn with revs high all helps too,i have Hydraulic brakes so guess i feel it better than most guys,then theres diff coast,higher values make rear more planted/stable,but not too much as then it wont turn in as sharp,diff pre-load is another that will help rear rotate better..

Thanks for that tip Allan, I tend “not” to hit the brakes hard, a habit I have successfully managed to hang onto.
But I will endeavour for this race.

Hey Ernie, we dont have to have 100% braking, if you wind it down and brake early like i guess they did in the day it slows down just fine. I know it is an extremely hard car to drive but taming it is what it is all about trying to do imho
Rasmus, Carsten and of course me have spent some effort on this braking and traction loss WRT the Agile. Which in theory would apply to the lotus.
It involved bass shakers programmed to the brake locking including front and rear wheel slip.
Eventually leading to,still using simhub, an instrument cluster that showed it all.
In the end Rasmus went quicker, :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:I was still left with a couple of numb feet that simply struggle to respond to a flashing dash board and a vibrating arse. Needles to say I abandoned it all.

F051BE37-6333-4BE4-89FA-DE992F597291.jpeg

PS ii am at 80%, it sort of works for low downforce cars like the lotus, ( not as good as you think it will ) but does not for high downforce cars

Last edited:
,i slam the brake on there, and i mean slam them on,ever wondered why your brakes dont lock up at very high speed??,only when you slow down to around 70-90 mph your brakes start to lock up,so at this point i slightly start pumping the brakes
Never really thought about that. Was already feathering the brakes, but good to know you can push them down harder the faster you go :thumbsup:

I don't have any motec stuff installed Collin but I can post an onboard later if you want with pedal inputs / maybe take a look at installing telemetry app, any recommendations?

It wont be the fastest lap, but I've had a decent time staying on track. Don't think I'm ever really hitting 100% down on the brakes (I have them set to 100% Allan :laugh:) and then with throttle, I'm only at 100% a few times around the track besides the long straight.

The biggest change in setup I did (outside allans ABR and damper settings) was bringing the diff power down to 10%. Still enough slide for me to get the car turned and on power. A faster driver probably knows how to use the slide better than me, but I find this stable.

Last edited:
Setups are interesting, I can make an impossible car to drive, manageable, I can get a oversteering car to be more neutral, an understeering car to be more neutral.
I can make my lap times quicker by making a car better balanced under brakes, I can make my lap times drop by spending more time on the throttle with a setup. The only thing i cannot do is make me any quicker and I think that says it all.
i am at present in the state of mind where i think there is no time in a setup, unless you have some of the above to put right. Which leads me onto after a lot of setup time, I come back to a car with a initial reasonable setup and go just the same pace or faster.
All I really need is to put Allan in my car, and dispense with setups altogether.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
:)

For Data analys I know 2 possibities:

Z1 Analyzer which is a rather polished product for "install and use "guys with active development and support.
Trial version is free, but ends itself after 15min. Restart is possible, but it gets on your nerves.
Medium version 25USD once, but no updates. Quite serviceable, thats what I´m using.
Full version 99USD, more functionality and compability, eg AIM and HLT.
Updates and AI Coach need subscription.

Motec software and ACTI app.
Extremely aggravating to setup, took me two month (on and off) to get to work.
(and three people investing work and time , you know who you are :inlove:)
Needs a lot of learning and configuring to get to work, but than is extremely powerfull, it´s Pro Racer level (they pay software engineers to use it).

On both systems you won´t find any prerecorded laps for our cars and tracks to compare with your own, which would be the biggest benefit. So if someone would share.....

Richard has kindly given me a 1:59.8 Motec file to look at, which has helped me identify two areas to work on.

I've also discovered why I was so far off the pace. My foot was resting on the brake pedal and generating 9% of braking all around the lap!

Screenshot 2023-07-01 213725.jpg

I did a Fanatec driver update so I presume it messed with the min brake sensitivity.

Forgot to turn off brake magic :laugh:

Also just saw Rainmaker87 uploaded a bunch of tracks today here on RD (think we've raced their tracks before), some 60s/70s , more late 80s, which could be good for classic car races. I raced against the AI here with the lotus 49https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/prince-george-circuit-1965.61928/ and it was a lot of fun

laguna 60s is nicely redone also, less GP and more Can-Am, transAm, touring.

@dbx71 & @HF2000 might be something in there for you as well

Last edited:
just finally had a chance to take a stroll around this track. what a great selection! love the textures of the road surface and the way the car feels driving around here.

don't really recognize much from the modern day version of the track beyond the old stone bridge and the first series of sweeping downhill curves, but man, i haven't had this much fun driving a vintage lotus since my old GPL days..!

Also just saw Rainmaker87 uploaded a bunch of tracks today here on RD (think we've raced their tracks before), some 60s/70s , more late 80s, which could be good for classic car races. I raced against the AI here with the lotus 49https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/prince-george-circuit-1965.61928/ and it was a lot of fun

ha, han already beat you to this... it's already under discussion / consideration. we're testing out those tracks and different ideas... as Han mentioned.

thanks for the good suggestions on possible track / car combos!

Last edited:

I saw that RSS came out with a really nice throwback F1 car from the mid 80s era. might be nice to try some of those tracks with this car;

Would drivers like this changed to a 2x25min race - like Brian ran on Sunday? I wasn't at that race so don't know how popular it was - but it might be interesting and gives you a second shot if you mess up the first race.

Last edited:
Racing in these cars isn't supposed to be accommodating :p

That said, I'm up for trying a sprint x2 in the future depending on track and car. The less endurance the car or track, the more I'm up for a sprint. Something like group c at le mans or lotus at fat alfie it's nice to "settle in" during the race and not have to push 25min straight. But something like the Alfa GTAm at Brands Hatch Indy sounds like a fun 2x sprint combo. Less demanding of a car and track, easier to hop in, hop out and do it twice

It was nice to have the field grouped up again midway through

Last edited:

Latest News

Back