AC RSS GT @ Okayama - Sunday 5th June 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That is a far more difficult question than it first seems.
Some prefer 5 gears, less last minute changes, so even if it is a six speed car, that can be a better way to go. ( Chris likes this route )
Sometimes the torque and power curve and gearing make you red line every gear.
This is the fastest, but the torque delivery may make that an unwise way to go.
You may very well find that a higher gear makes the delivery of torque much better, less likely for wheel spin and scenery visting and can be faster out of the corner, even though it seems counter intuitive.
Sometimes it is better lap time wise to select a gear just for an important corner, that may be where all the time is, even though it may be counter productive else where in the lap.
As much as I would like one perfect setup for all circuits, very rarely does that work.
Circuit may appear the same, but there is nearly always big differences in them.
So you demon setup for circuit “A” is crap on circuit “B” and that goes for gearing too.
If in doubt, look at the power and torque curves. Select for max power including the dip for top gear and all other gears.
It is only difficult if you have weird power and torque values, Neil is very good at sorting that out, at that point I lose the will to live for one race.

PS I think that is especially true for the bmw , pays to change early in that car, one which we have used on a number of occasions here.

Last edited:
Ahh what the race could have been! After the false starts I ended up second with a reasonable gap behind. I felt if kept a cool head I could keep the spot for a while.
My screen locked up and I had to restart the race losing 2 laps. :( I forgot I had been playing around with overclocking my GPU and this caused the freeze.
Once back on track, I tried to unlap myself but ran out of time.
Good racing by all I could see.
Thanks for organizing and well done by the winners!

Last edited:
Some amount of disasters on sunday night :) 3 of us in a chain reaction of teleports was only the start of it, reading through here, and definitely not the worst. (That will be drive thru from now on, bug fixed...). 1st, 3rd and 5th on the grid gone :)

It turned out a really fun race from then on. The teleport to my P1 in the pitboxes gave me a nice cushion on John on Han and I was able to keep them a few seconds behind, as we moved up the field. I got a nice run on @JamKart22 down the back straight but he defended well around the outside of the hairpin. Unfortunately he spun out going over the top of the little hill on the exit and we collided. Han and john got in front the easy way. I had a fairly solid race after. Got the undercut on @Medilloni and robert came out in front with 20 to go. Gave it all I could to get past rob but never really got close. He put up with the constant pressure and john caught back up. I made my only mistake in the slow double hairpins to let john past easy again :) , with a few laps left. Heart breaking to see robert do the same on the last lap to let both myself and john get the easy pass.

Started 5th and finished 5th the hard way! Thanks to all for a great event and well done to @eN1xes for the win. Sometimes starting from the back, out of trouble, is a solid strategy. Congrats to the podium and good luck to @Fiberoptix and pat in sorting their IT troubles.

See you all at the next event :)

Last edited:
Ahh what the race could have been! After the false starts I ended up second with a reasonable gap behind. I felt if kept a cool head I could keep the spot for a while.
My screen locked up and I had to restart the race losing 2 laps. :( I forgot I had been playing around with overclocking my GPU and this caused the freeze.
Once back on track, I tried to unlap myself but ran out of time.
Good racing by all I could see.
Thanks for organizing and well done by the winners!

I remember from over clocking my old gpu, you definitely need to leave a buffer, from what the benchmarks say you can do. Running the benchmark video thing for a few minutes without it tripping out just isn't the same as a few hours sim racing. Think I ended up running it about 50 - 70% between the default and max to make sure it was reliable for racing.

Last edited:
Some amount of disasters on sunday night :) 3 of us in a chain reaction of teleports was only the start of it, reading through here, and definitely not the worst. (That will be drive thru from now on, bug fixed...). 1st, 3rd and 5th on the grid gone :)

It turned out a really fun race from then on. The teleport to my P1 in the pitboxes gave me a nice cushion on John on Han and I was able to keep them a few seconds behind, as we moved up the field. I got a nice run on @JamKart22 down the back straight but he defended well around the outside of the hairpin. Unfortunately he spun out going over the top of the little hill on the exit and we collided. Han and john got in front the easy way. I had a fairly solid race after. Got the undercut on @Medilloni and robert came out in front with 20 to go. Gave it all I could to get past rob but never really got close. He put up with the constant pressure and john caught back up. I made my only mistake in the slow double hairpins to let john past easy again :) , with a few laps left. Heart breaking to see robert do the same on the last lap to let both myself and john get the easy pass.

Started 5th and finished 5th the hard way! Thanks to all for a great event and well done to @eN1xes for the win. Sometimes starting from the back, out of trouble, is a solid strategy. Congrats to the podium and good luck to @Fiberoptix and pat in sorting their IT troubles.

About 4 laps in I really regretted not taking your advice on tyres, only based on my hatred of tyre saving :laugh:

Changed to hards seconds before the start, thinking I could drive flat (ish) for longer than on mediums, turns out they didn't last much longer than meds (2 laps) and were nearly a sec slower, even when they'd warmed up - you guys were right, lesson learnt!

Second stint was glorious, car became chuckable-fun again and managed a run of 9 laps in the low 29's to get me back with you and poor Robert, who I'd never have passed before the end :(

Those RSS GT's certainly keep your attention :D

About 4 laps in I really regretted not taking your advice on tyres, only based on my hatred of tyre saving :laugh:

Changed to hards seconds before the start, thinking I could drive flat (ish) for longer than on mediums, turns out they didn't last much longer than meds (2 laps) and were nearly a sec slower, even when they'd warmed up - you guys were right, lesson learnt!

Second stint was glorious, car became chuckable-fun again and managed a run of 9 laps in the low 29's to get me back with you and poor Robert, who I'd never have passed before the end :(

Those RSS GT's certainly keep your attention :D

You had great pace in the saleen John. You closed than 10 second gap after the pits handy enough. I swear my second set of mediums wasn't as good as the first :roflmao: Did you have a long stop for fuel or how did I get 10 second ahead. I was right behind you when I pitted on 30 minutes, expecting it to be a close battle again a lap or two later.

You had great pace in the saleen John. You closed than 10 second gap after the pits handy enough. I swear my second set of mediums wasn't as good as the first :roflmao: Did you have a long stop for fuel or how did I get 10 second ahead. I was right behind you when I pitted on 30 minutes, expecting it to be a close battle again a lap or two later.
I fuelled for a 31 lap run initially Brian (hence the hards) to try and match fuel time with tyres, but watching the delta getting worse I had to stop on lap 24 to cut my losses. Fuel was about 3 - 4 seconds over tyres, not as bad as I thought it'd be at that moment.

The pace was good with a slightly changed setup I'd done for VIR last year - tbh, after my run of decent laps to catch up, I almost quit as I caught you and Robert, thinking this'll be how it is 'till the end.... forgot to remove clothing before the start and by then the sweat was running into my fecking glasses :laugh: :roflmao:

Re the setup, tried to base it on corner exit 'cos I couldn't do much about the understeer. Posted here (Q and Race) if anyone fancies death by jp's setup :roflmao:

Attachments

• RSS GT Shadow V8 Okoyama V3 27.9 Q.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 36
  • RSS GT Shadow V8 Okoyama V3 28.1 RACE.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I fuelled for a 31 lap run initially Brian (hence the hards) to try and match fuel time with tyres, but watching the delta getting worse I had to stop on lap 24 to cut my losses. Fuel was about 3 - 4 seconds over tyres, not as bad as I thought it'd be at that moment.

The pace was good with a slightly changed setup I'd done for VIR last year - tbh, after my run of decent laps to catch up, I almost quit as I caught you and Robert, thinking this'll be how it is 'till the end.... forgot to remove clothing before the start and by then the sweat was running into my fecking glasses :laugh: :roflmao:

Re the setup, tried to base it on corner exit 'cos I couldn't do much about the understeer. Posted here (Q and Race) if anyone fancies death by jp's setup :roflmao:

Sounds like the hard tyres are just worse than mediums all round! You can probably push the mediums out to 40 minutes, longer depending on the track.

Yep these cars will have you in a sweat alright! I drank a pint of water in the pits. Somehow had the thing in reverse when the mechanics finished with it! I like it though, stops the mind from wandering :)

Was the jump start because you engaged first with a clutch engaged ?
No it was really a jump start. First iI thought it was because I reacted on John's jumpstart in front of me but in the replay it looked like I was the first, probably causing Brian behind me to jump start also.

Was the jump start because you engaged first with a clutch engaged ?

The red brakes lights on Hans car going 'out' triggered me to go :) More worryingly I do the same irl sometimes when there is more than one set of traffic lights in view :coffee: I also glanced down at the guages just as Han jumped forward, which didn't help.

Last edited:

Thanks Brian. My headset is officially out of warranty and now only works on the left panel. I tried using the monitor last night and it was like starting from scratch! I was turning in too late to corners and over shooting every braking zone. I only really use the monitor to get the system up and running so it's currently a tiny 10 year old thing I took/borrowed from an unused desk at my office. I do like VR but it does seem to be a constant string of problems. Might look at triples instead.

Thanks Brian. My headset is officially out of warranty and now only works on the left panel. I tried using the monitor last night and it was like starting from scratch! I was turning in too late to corners and over shooting every braking zone. I only really use the monitor to get the system up and running so it's currently a tiny 10 year old thing I took/borrowed from an unused desk at my office. I do like VR but it does seem to be a constant string of problems. Might look at triples instead.

I was wondering that about the warranty when you said you had it 2 years. Typical :(

The biggest adjustment I find going back to a screen is the virtual mirror, which is essentially a rear mounted camera on the car. I discovered this after some close calls. I nearly killed both chris and rasmus at different points when I switched back to the screen for a while. Cars will appear alot further away in the virtual mirror than they are in reality.

The red brakes lights on Hans car going 'out' triggered me to go

The best way to get off the line in any race, doesn't matter what sim or car is to mentally count to zero yourself. AC has a timer that stops at 10 seconds or there abouts at the top, so you can just ignore the lights and everyone else around you. It usually gets me a position or two at round start or allows me to set myself up properly.

I love these cars, had a lovely race too though after jumping in the Ferruchio today I knocked a second of my fastest time in the first lap compared to my best in the Vortex and it felt a lot more predictable/stable and I see why people gravitate towards it.

Gotta figure out how to set these up though, The vortex can be made quite stable and fast on the straights if you mess about with the suspension but it takes a lot of work compared to being a second faster with the default setup on a different car.

Did any of the Ferruchio drivers do some fun setups or did most people run close to stock?

The best way to get off the line in any race, doesn't matter what sim or car is to mentally count to zero yourself. AC has a timer that stops at 10 seconds or there abouts at the top, so you can just ignore the lights and everyone else around you. It usually gets me a position or two at round start or allows me to set myself up properly.
Cheers Casper, I'll try that next time I'm behind @HF2000 :p

I love these cars, had a lovely race too though after jumping in the Ferruchio today I knocked a second of my fastest time in the first lap compared to my best in the Vortex and it felt a lot more predictable/stable and I see why people gravitate towards it.

Gotta figure out how to set these up though, The vortex can be made quite stable and fast on the straights if you mess about with the suspension but it takes a lot of work compared to being a second faster with the default setup on a different car.

I tried the viper briefly. It seemed ok until it spun at what is after the exit of atwood, for most cars. The saleen is tricky in first and second but that viper is still going to get you in 3rd or even 4th gear.

Last edited:
Never shared a setup on here so let me know if it doesn't work, but here's my Ferruccio 55 set up. First time my quali times were actually better than my race lol.

Didn't do drastic changes (not that I know totally what I'm doing :coffee:), but it's definitely "tuned" to my style of driving. Meant to take t1, t2 and t3 in 3rd gear.

Attachments

• 60min Race.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Quali.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Latest News

Back