AMS2 Rookies | P3 @ Kyalami - Friday April 22, 2022

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Great race everyone. Good fun, wasn't quick enough to catch Chris and Bram and only just managed to keep Scott at bay at the end. Need to map a headlight button lol. Literally couldnt see last lap or two :roflmao:
Yeah, I was really struggling to keep pace with you at the start and then you just found your mojo and pulled away until the lights went out! I kinda realised what was going on and you covered the lines well enough that I would have had to make a very rude last lap lunge, which considering you had me well and truly beat prior to that would have been a very hollow victory :D. Really enjoying the close racing with these

Question for the front runners, did you have specific setups for the race as it seems I could have done with more downforce as some others seemed to be able to corner tigher/faster.
For reference I was on default and about 1.2s off the pace, so I don't think it was too bad. I did find I had to consciously turn in early though

Hope everyone had a great race last night, i only managed to take part in practice, as my internet wasn't playing ball for some reason. Gutted as had practiced for last night.

I don't know if anyone else was having issues, there was multiple cars appearing then disappearing.

Question for the front runners, did you have specific setups for the race as it seems I could have done with more downforce as some others seemed to be able to corner tigher/faster.
I took a look at where you qualified and just wanted to add that I was in the same place when I first started out nearly two years ago and I learned one thing really quickly, which was that getting hold of a 'faster' setup to make up my deficit to the front just ended up in disappointment and frustration. Even now I'll take a 'stable' setup over a 'faster' one as just being confident in the car means I can get far more out of it (there are some exceptions, taking a barn door to la sarthe isn't going to end well). For me, making sure I was using all the track (and I mean all of it - I viewed Andrew's lap in car and gained nearly a second abusing the entry/exit kerbs the same way), not compromising my exits with over late braking and keeping the car stable through the corner to maintain speed got me far bigger gains

I took a look at where you qualified and just wanted to add that I was in the same place when I first started out nearly two years ago and I learned one thing really quickly, which was that getting hold of a 'faster' setup to make up my deficit to the front just ended up in disappointment and frustration. Even now I'll take a 'stable' setup over a 'faster' one as just being confident in the car means I can get far more out of it (there are some exceptions, taking a barn door to la sarthe isn't going to end well). For me, making sure I was using all the track (and I mean all of it - I viewed Andrew's lap in car and gained nearly a second abusing the entry/exit kerbs the same way), not compromising my exits with over late braking and keeping the car stable through the corner to maintain speed got me far bigger gains
Scott, Thanks for the advice. I will stick with default setup for now. It was the first time I'd driven that track so I think I could gain quite a bit of time with practice. My practice laps prior to joining the seesion were 1.50+ so I gained about 3 seconds during the session. Following a couple of the quicker guys gave me some better lines. I'm down for next weeks race which is another track I havent tried yet so better get some laps in. :)
Thanks for all the advice/comments from everyone, certainly makes me feel more positive that I can improve over time.

Last edited:
Scott, Thanks for the advice. I will stick with default setup for now. It was the first time I'd driven that track so I think I could gain quite a bit of time with practice. My practice laps prior to joining the seesion were 1.50+ so I gained about 3 seconds during the session. Following a couple of the quicker guys gave me some better lines. I'm down for next weeks race which is another track I havent tried yet so better get some laps in. :)
Thanks for all the advice/comments from everyone, certainly makes me feel more positive that I can improve over time.

To add to what's already been said. I've done two evenings with AMS2, and both were RD-races. One was a 2 race evening. In those three races, I've won two of them. One was tyre strategy gamble that paid of, the other was surprisingly enough a result of me being on pace. That was also helped by a strategy choice. All races on default setup.

My point isn't to brag about myself, but rather that experience and a bit of luck with track&car combo for us normal humans (e.g not aliens) is much more important than a setup :)

Latest News

Back