RaceDepartment Forum Racing Season 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aidan, i vot a heart-attack, "Aidan Keranen attached... When clicking on it i remembered the season is over ^^
I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg

FLORIN FINISHES CHAMPION
MACDONALD SMALLEST OF MARGINS BEHIND

1st. Alexander Macdonald
Heineken Honda S20.png
2nd. Jimmy Laad
Renault S20.png
3rd. Florin Diaconescu
McLaren (80's) S20.png
The title hasn't been so fiercely fought for a while now. Belgium S20, as the last race of the season, promised for a show to be put on. No one expected this though.
For Alexander Macdonald, it was simple. Pole and victory would go a long way to winning. Just hope Florin Diaconescu doesn't get third place. As Macdonald took pole, he surely must have been confident seeing Diaconescu back in 6th place. Problem #1, Steven Poirer. Viper Racing and Dodge had been doing their homework, and an imminent engine problem was picked up on the first lap. Being only halfway down the Kemmel Straight, Poirer was told to cut every corner and get back for a fix. He obliged, getting it done, but only for the RDFIA to tell the team not to bother fixing the car, a disqualification imminent. Problem #2, Sig Man. The McLaren driver was ahead of Diaconescu and immediately pulled over. By the pit stop, Macdonald still led, but now Diaconescu was up to 4th, just needing a single extra position. Problem #3, Ben Utzer. The final part of the fairy tale was complete. As Utzer dramatically slowed after his pit, Diaconescu charged, taking the slow Online Racing car around the outside of Blanchimont. Game, Set and Match Diaconescu.
It was an amazing end to a great season. Although now runner-up, Macdonald had a stellar season for Heineken, starting a riveting comeback from Hungary onwards especially. Perhaps his best moment, when Chant was injured, Macdonald solidly and solely flew the Heineken flag. It is fitting then, for a racer who held the lead in the championship on more than one occasion, can say that for a small amount of time, for a mere 23 minutes, he was the champion. He did what he needed to, all he could do.
Commiserations to him, alas also to previously defending champion Sig Man. Although arguably with no chance of the championship, he put it behind him to see his teammate take the glory. A true sign of great mateship and teamwork, a sign of why a full team is always a force to be reckoned with....
Jimmy Laad was unfortunate that with such drama around him, his best finish of the season was overshadowed somewhat. In his Renault that has been gaining some pretty decent speed recently, one can only wonder what a full season will bring for this up-and-comer. It is a shame for the French team to lose him so quickly. Laad's results secured him 10th place overall, but teammate Fred Owen was unable to complete the race, Renault losing out to Red Bull, while coupled with Ben Herbert's disappointing finish, Renault engines were unable to overhaul Ferrari.
Utzer's demise saw him lose the points he needed to overtake James Chant for 5th place. Arguably, with Herbert doing so poorly as well, Utzer may well have had 4th place lined up until the gremlin struck his car. Amazingly, from the last round, we saw no change in position for the championship. Yes, gaps were reduced dramatically, but otherwise, it is exactly the same as after the Abu Dhabi GP.
Jordan drivers Rami Saidy and Old Wolf drove a formation finish for 6th and 7th, not enough to overhaul Online Racing. Sasha Jednak took one final top 10 finish before calling an end to his career so far. The Ferrari faithful will be sad to see him go, casting the team into another season of no guarantees, and also after his captivating maiden podium at Monza too.
But the season will go down as being Diaconescu's. Florin led for much of the championship, and after a brief hiccup, did what he does best, get to the front. As much as his season was great, this was his first 3rd position, likewise he has only one 2nd place, to go with his 5 victories.
Congratulations to Florin Diaconescu and McLaren-Honda of Diaconescu and Sig Man, Champions Season 20!

Results
1st. A. Macdonald (Heineken-Honda)
2nd. J. Laad (Renault)
3rd. F. Diaconescu (McLaren-Honda)
4th. S. Man (McLaren-Honda)
5th. B. Utzer (Online Racing-Ferrari)
6th. R. Saidy (Jordan-Honda)
7th. O. Wolf (Jordan-Honda)
8th. J. Chant (Heineken-Honda)
9th. O. Said (Online Racing-Ferrari)
10th. S. Jednak (Ferrari)
11th. B. Herbert (Red Bull Racing-Renault)
DNF F. Owen (Renault)
DNF T. Hackel (Honk-Ferrari)
DNF G. Ludlum (Honk-Ferrari)
DSQ S. Poirer (Viper Racing-Dodge)*

*denotes over time limit

Final Standings
S20 Championship Table Drivers.jpg

S20 Championship Table Teams.jpg

Not quite finished with the season, a few more little things to go :D

OFFICIAL RDFIA PRESS CONFERENCE
@Alexander Macdonald Your year nearly ended perfectly. How do you move on from here? Bigger and better next season?
@Jimlaad43 3 podiums in the last 5 races, what does this mean for S21?
@Florin Diaconescu Congratulations on your first title, surely you were thinking it was over at the race start?

Thank you racers, feel free to make some final comments on your season.​

Small statistical breakdown
I won't lie, I am a mathematician and statistician, and love to dissect stats to find what really happened. So, in readiness for next season, here is a breakdown of points in sprints vs features. Nothing special, just a little sprint/feature 'winner'. Obviously some people can easily find where improvement lay :laugh:
Sprints
S20 Sprints.jpg

Features
S20 Features.jpg

Low Down
So obviously looking at this, we found where our top two differed. Interesting that literally each one dominated the different race types.
It was interesting for me (I only did this after Bahrain) to see Ben Utzer in the sprints and Rami Saidy in the features so high up. This shows, due to their relative positions to the leaders, that their opposite race types left something to be desired.
The top 3 of features all took a pole, while the top 4 all had at least one win. James Chant was the odd one out, his inconsistency at times hurting him.
The wins were evenly spread amongst racers in the sprint format, quite surprising to see Fred Owen doing so well there...

So, just a little something to see where you guys can improve for next season, I think I have 1 major post to go

OFFICIAL RDFIA PRESS CONFERENCE
@Jimlaad43 3 podiums in the last 5 races, what does this mean for S21?​
It means I am a dark horse for the S21 title, or at least I hope I am. Jaguar are still in talks with drivers for next season, so please PM me if you are interested. My aim is a win next year, at least one win.

@Aidan Keranen, just an extra stat attack.
Extrapolating both Jimmy Laad and @Steven Poirier's results to a full season, using the scores, they can be compared.

Laad Sprint: 94 points
Poirier Sprint: 76 points
Meaning both overtook Rami Saidy

Laad Feature: 77 points
Poirier Feature: 28 points.
This moves Poirier up to an equivalent points finish with Sasha Jednak, while Laad shoots up to 4th place, but still quite a way away from the top 3.

Laad overall: 185 points
Poirier overall: 114 points
Laad shoots up to 7th place while Poirier takes 11th place.

Renault constructors: 257 points
Viper constructors: 114 points
Renault would have overhauled Red Bull for 5th place and Viper would have beaten Ferrari.

@Aidan Keranen, just an extra stat attack.
Extrapolating both Jimmy Laad and @Steven Poirier's results to a full season, using the scores, they can be compared.

Laad Sprint: 94 points
Poirier Sprint: 76 points
Meaning both overtook Rami Saidy

Laad Feature: 77 points
Poirier Feature: 28 points.
This moves Poirier up to an equivalent points finish with Sasha Jednak, while Laad shoots up to 4th place, but still quite a way away from the top 3.

Laad overall: 185 points
Poirier overall: 114 points
Laad shoots up to 7th place while Poirier takes 11th place.

Renault constructors: 257 points
Viper constructors: 114 points
Renault would have overhauled Red Bull for 5th place and Viper would have beaten Ferrari.
yes but I shouldn't focus that much on just two people. also... that can't be 100% relied upon as displacement of drivers from positions hasn't been accounted for... then it gets really confusing

A selection of photos from the year.

Australian Grand Prix
Melbourne_zps91816873.jpg

Macdonald feints left, forcing Sig to lock up and run wide.

Argentinian Grand Prix
Argentina_zps440d11cc.jpg

Ludlum's race ends in a ball of fire. The Honk driver never finished a race in the season.

Turkish Grand Prix
Turkey_zps9a634f5d.jpg

Utzer denies Said a home victory, Said responds rudely.

German Grand Prix
germany_zpsc48f8bc1.jpg

Saidy takes a controversial victory, leaving the Heineken boys aggrieved.

Brazilian Grand Prix
Brazil_zps6e4289cd.jpg

Despite it being a feature race, there was little to choose between the podium finishers in Brazil.

Belgian Grand Prix
Belgium_zps907123b8.jpg

Alexander Macdonald was champion for 23 minutes, but he still reveled in the race victory as Diaconescu was crowned champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back