Post Pictures thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, backing to racer, and what about doing a new section for screenshots? Everybody may agree with me, 160 pages are a bit too hard to find anything.

Well, about game, backing with 2.7L V6 DOHC TwinTurbo 265hp@5800rpm Quattro 01'

screenshot124copy.jpg

screenshot125copy-1.jpg

screenshot126copy-1.jpg

Bonus: Raphael's MR-S

screenshot119copy.jpg

Maybe it's converted from LIDAR data ?
That was on my mind since the 1st time I saw Roggel screenies + checking the textures UV mapping....but guess what I can't even load it & enjoy it...:)

Looking @ the pictures, I'd say we would need some postprocessing effects to make the whole scene more dirty, less flat & more dense...maybe the TOD + sunny + clouds is wrong....

I don't understand why Ruud still uses TGA textures, DDS definitely increases performance, Try applying a 4096x4096 livery TGA texture to your car + set your racer textures ini to 4096x4096....Do the same with DDS & check Fraps live....play also with the texture compression param in racer.ini...

I still author with TGA since they are fast for refining the basics, but for 'finals' or developing specific image sets, I will use DDS.

DDS main benefits for me are for being able to control mip-maps, so you can resize/filter textures appropriately.

For instance, when a track texture moves off into the distance and has paint down the sides of the track, it blurs away, and we use AF to reduce the blurring. However, the texture also mips and softens. With DDS we can filter the texture down, but keep the edge of the paint lines sharper (if they are on a different layer say), and use those for the mips.
Or wire fences, we can keep them looking sharper instead of blurring up as badly.

It's subtle, but it all adds up to getting better image quality at no actual cost.

Doing a TGA > DDS conversion session won't take long, especially if the author has used atlas textures :D ;)

I doubt Roggel was LiDAR. In all seriousness I can imagine it was authored relatively quickly hence the large amount of tiled texturing.

This is where secondary UVW mapping for light maps would be nice, as we could bake a load of shading into the map with a 2048x2048 atlas for example.
Or up the vert count and add vert lighting baked in. That would 'dirty' it up plenty.

All that said, with SSAO now becoming powerful (latest Frostbite engine) and fast, it might be that we just run AO in real time to give us that nice shaded/dirty look.

Hmmm

Dave

Nice pics there! Very nice...

You could do with enabling shadows in the shaders or something though...

What game is that converted from?

Cheers

Dave

I turned off shadows , my gpu is affected by a bug from motherboard . It's scaled down to pci-e 1x D: It's a tragedy . lol
Car is converted from hot pursuit 2010 . It's almost a death trying to convert cars from there . lol . This track is here from rd =D . Look at racer tracks .

HP 2010, hmmm, cool.

I keep hankering after making a nice Gallardo for Racer but never get around to it (like 90% of my ideas :D )...

Do you mind sharing the mesh at all? I'm interested in as much how it is made as anything else (edges of panels mainly)

I've got a PC/PS3 copy of the game, but no idea how you get the meshes out yet :)

Just trying to think of a cool car to make for Racer, but as much as anything good reference material and access is important. Ie, getting the model/interior accurate, but also getting good sounds/physics data for it! Not sure I can get my hands on a Gallardo to record sounds from :D

Cheers

Dave

LoL Raph !

I'd just convert Laser Scanned cars....it's cleaner, preciser & faster :)

I'm right now trying to think of an export template, so any cars will have the same generics names, shaders names etc... so for example we can use Dave Flash Config Car Tool on all cars...

Yep, AO baking is still a good idea.

That said, the normal shading that Ruud implemented a while back is surprisingly good too (diffuse/ambient get darker as normal faces down more and more)

I've generally had pretty good results with that alone, but I agree that a full unwrap for liveries and/or ambient shading is nice too.

Dave

I have some tracks with the real old .bmp textures that I've upgraded to cg textures that work nicely.
Also I use .jpg's for some textures for file size as opposed to tga, they work good also.
I use .dds textures where I can but don't like them as they are hard to view with PSP.

All the texture types have there usefullnes and I don't use .dds just because they have mipmaps.

Just my 2 cents.

Lol QCM, you want cars to be a bunch of points? I don't think so.

Funnily enough, I was going to start a Gallardo not long ago. Then I remembered someone did a pretty nice one not THAT long ago. At least I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back