Post Pictures thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, backing to racer, and what about doing a new section for screenshots? Everybody may agree with me, 160 pages are a bit too hard to find anything.

Well, about game, backing with 2.7L V6 DOHC TwinTurbo 265hp@5800rpm Quattro 01'

screenshot124copy.jpg

screenshot125copy-1.jpg

screenshot126copy-1.jpg

Bonus: Raphael's MR-S

screenshot119copy.jpg

pp9DL.jpg

Not as nice as 3 but still pretty good :p Gotta find some way to tell Racer about the gap between the monitors though, so it skips rendering a little bit there. Maybe a fullscreen shader could do it...

bloom_shadows_dual_f.cg
Code:
// CSM Shadowmapping + Bloom + Colorgrade
// HDR version

#include "../common/constants.cg"
#include "../common/hdr.cg"
#include "../common/utils.cg"
#include "bloom.cg"
#include "common_fs.cg"

struct VertOut
{
  float4 pos : POSITION;
  float4 col : COLOR0;
  float2 tc0 : TEXCOORD0;
};

struct FragOut
{
  float4 col : COLOR;
};

float BlurTexture(sampler2D tex, float2 vin, float blur, sampler2D depthMap)
// With Z sampling
{
  return tex2D(tex,vin).a;
}

FragOut main(
  VertOut vin,
  uniform sampler2D sceneMap    : TEXUNIT0,
  uniform sampler2D velocityMap : TEXUNIT1,
  /// Z in TEXUNIT5
  uniform sampler2D bloomMap1   : TEXUNIT2,
  uniform sampler2D bloomMap2   : TEXUNIT3,
  uniform sampler2D bloomMap3   : TEXUNIT4,
#ifdef CSM_MRT
  uniform sampler2D depthMap    : TEXUNIT5,
  uniform sampler2D shadowMap   : TEXUNIT6,
  uniform sampler3D gradeMap    : TEXUNIT7,
#else
  uniform sampler3D gradeMap    : TEXUNIT6,   // 3D texture for color grading
#endif
  uniform float alpha,              // Amount of blur
  uniform float exposure
)
{
  FragOut fout;
  float2 tc0 = vin.tc0;
  if (tc0.x>0.5)
  {
	  tc0.x = tc0.x + 0.018;
  }
  float4 ambientColor,
         sdColor;                 // Specular+diffuse
  float4 color;

#ifdef CSM_MRT
  // Original color
  ambientColor=tex2D(sceneMap,tc0);
  sdColor=tex2D(shadowMap,tc0);

float shadowAmount=BlurTexture(shadowMap, tc0,smBlurAmount,depthMap);
  color=ambientColor+shadowAmount*sdColor;
#else
  // Single render-target (RT)
  color=tex2D(sceneMap,tc0);
#endif

float4 bloomColor=BloomCombineMaps3(bloomMap1,bloomMap2,bloomMap3,tc0);
  color=BloomMix(color,bloomColor);

// Show the 3 bloom stages and the end-result in 1 view
/*if(vin.tc0.y>0.5)
{
 if(vin.tc0.x>0.666)color=tex2D(bloomMap3,vin.tc0);
 else if(vin.tc0.x>0.333)color=tex2D(bloomMap2,vin.tc0);
 else color=tex2D(bloomMap1,vin.tc0);
}*/

// HDR -> LDR tonemap
  color.rgb=ToneMapHDR(color,exposure);

// Color grading
  color.rgb=ColorGrade(color.rgb,gradeMap);

fout.col.rgb=color;
  // Motion blur blend
  fout.col.a=alpha;

return fout;
}

Only edits are near the bottom, changing tc0.x -
0.018 = 0.75 inch gap / (21+21 inch wide monitors)

It does render a repeat up the far right of the screen, but my taskbar's covering that anyway.

TT8o7.jpg

Much better alignment across them using this shader.

damagef.jpg

The new damage system with custom normal/bump maps....
It's perfect, maybe you could mix 3 mask templates textures to generate on fly a 'unique' or 'mixed' damaged mask...

Hmm... looks kinda funny. As if someone just torched the side of the car with a flamethrower.

When I look at wrecked sports cars, their body panels usually look like broken glass and less like dented metal:

For example http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics2011dec26/2002-chevy-corvette-3304.shtml.

All this plastic and whatnot doesn't really bend that much... hmm.

When I look at wrecked sports cars, their body panels usually look like broken glass and less like dented metal:
For example http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics2011dec26/2002-chevy-corvette-3304.shtml.
All this plastic and whatnot doesn't really bend that much... hmm.
There should be a setting/switch/shader/whatever for plastic panels and metal ones with the plastic ones being smashed and the metal ones being deformed and lightly scraped, but not torched and retaining their shape like the camaro above.

Perhaps I am the only one but I hatehatehate high use of bumpmapping simply because it always looks way too glossy.
But then it is also no secret that I also absolutely hate high gloss. However when you bumpmap matte things they still end up looking glossy and that really bothers me.

There should be a setting/switch/shader/whatever for plastic panels and metal ones with the plastic ones being smashed and the metal ones being deformed and lightly scraped, but not torched and retaining their shape like the camaro above.

Perhaps I am the only one but I hatehatehate high use of bumpmapping simply because it always looks way too glossy.
But then it is also no secret that I also absolutely hate high gloss. However when you bumpmap matte things they still end up looking glossy and that really bothers me.

Things are glossy though.

The problem is probably more down to bad normal map creation (too smooth topography), perhaps a function of too low resolution!?, and also due to the control map for specular needing to be adjusted, a scraped piece of metal is probably going to be a combination of very shiny metal scrapes alongside matted metal scrapes... that variance would give you enough visual cue to make it look more natural.

Just like most things, it's less a problem with the technology, more a problem with the art :D

Some1 raises a good point too. Many games 'do' damage but forget what cars are made of. Seeing carbon fibre take permanent deformations is a bit surprising to see, as is glass fibre... I guess some plastics can bend, but most will probably shatter if they are bent as far as we see them bent!

Another reason why worrying excessively over having damage at all is kinda irrelevant to me. It's just a feature to look at, that is more often than not inaccurate even when people say it's good. Not sure what purpose it serves beyond a certain degree, except for useless eye candy.

Dave

I'm finding the damage funny as it is, the edges of the dents where reflectivity's still high end up looking like conchoidal fractures in glass, since it's dropping round dents onto the texture.
gqrUc.jpg

I'm not convinced this isn't a problem with the shader though - in which case it should improve in time, if anyone bothers developing damage.

I'm not liking how the 'glass' shaders make opaque objects matte - what's the purpose of this? Makes things painted on the backside of the glass less shiny than they should be, eg. the trim around the RX7's windows is just flat black behind glass.

Also there's a bug with dynamic draw distance plus shadows.
renderer.desired_fps=60 ; default 0
renderer.max_detail=10.0 ; default 1.0
Adjust these and the shadows go crinkly then disappear entirely.

With 090f coming closer and closer, I just ran through all the RX-7's shaders and touched up a couple textures. Still work to be done but broadly it looks nicer than it ever has. Plus Roggel's better than Carlswood in daylight.
HpBbn.jpg

That is looking good Stereo :D

We will get to v0.9 soon enough, I think we just need Racer to totally stop changing for a bit in graphics terms, we can make a few cars and tracks that try do EVERYTHING we want them to do, then bug-fix/tweak Racer to make sure everything works right, then call that v0.9.
Then at least anyone can make a nice track or car and it should work properly.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back