Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Two points:

Boothy, the schedule has been expanded to include the only two tracks we have not raced, the last being mostly for fun, but points paying too. Can't decide to keep damage on or off for the demolition derby. What do you all think? It should be a blast. We don't do that sort of stiff very often. And Barcelona is very fast and flowing, so I thought the McLaren F1 was a good fit. Don't think we raced in that either.

Also, I could not find a way to turn off damage when setting up a race in Shift2. This weekend at Hazyview is going to be a blown tire fest unless we shorten the races considerably, although I think you can turn it off in your *individual* options. But I'm not sure yet if that does the trick. Although my tires didn't pop after 20 laps, the car would not turn. Unless we can sort this, we will have to have a series of very short races.
I think you are in the wrong thread there Robert ;)

I hope thats not the case about the settings as i'm not really too interested in the short races here. I haven't had a chance to run any more than the couple of short races we had the other morning Robert but i'll try to check it out later to see if there is something to turn damage off. The only time I ran a number of laps here was in the setup test mode I ran before I lost my setups, etc with my HDD crash a couple of months back and I can't say I noticed any tyre issues back then.

I haven't done any running here yet... is it difficult to set up the car and keep it off the wall?
You 'have' to upgrade the car to get anywhere near anything decent here and then the setup comes more into play. No point setting up the car without those upgrades as far as I know. A couple of months ago I managed to get something semi-decent with just one session so i'll be looking to do that again although time is fast running out.

I have no idea what thread is what when it comes to Shift2. We have been offered the ability to go to the pCARS section, but nothing has happened. In any case, I ran some last night and agree that you have to turn off damage individually. For the ovals. Not the big ovals, just the short ovals only. and the Demo Derby. I was able to drive fine. Leaving the cosmetic damage on discourages people from banging too much, as your hood can get in the way.

You 'have' to upgrade the car to get anywhere near anything decent here and then the setup comes more into play. No point setting up the car without those upgrades as far as I know. A couple of months ago I managed to get something semi-decent with just one session so i'll be looking to do that again although time is fast running out.
But we are not allowed to upgrade for this race right?

Yes you are for this race Karl....

NOTE: ALL CARS ELIGIBLE TO RACE CAN BE UPGRADED IN ANY WAY YOU WISH, EXCEPT NITROUS AND TURBOCHARGERS ARE NOT ALLOWED, TO A TOTAL "C" RATING OF 999.

There's quite a lot of scope there to improve the car.

Yes you are for this race Karl....

NOTE: ALL CARS ELIGIBLE TO RACE CAN BE UPGRADED IN ANY WAY YOU WISH, EXCEPT NITROUS AND TURBOCHARGERS ARE NOT ALLOWED, TO A TOTAL "C" RATING OF 999.

There's quite a lot of scope there to improve the car.
jesus.... i don't know how much time i'm gonna have to screw around with that stuff.... do all the upgrades cost money? i don't have hardly any....
I'm bound to get dizzy before i even get a feel for the cars.....

jesus.... i don't know how much time i'm gonna have to screw around with that stuff.... do all the upgrades cost money? i don't have hardly any....
I'm bound to get dizzy before i even get a feel for the cars.....

They are free. Just get racing slicks and a midline transmission (set it to 0 final drive) and weight reduction and put the rest in the engine. Then go in circles. You get a rhythm and it's kind of fun. let the gear slow you and enter tight and come out wide. That's it.

They are free. Just get racing slicks and a midline transmission (set it to 0 final drive) and weight reduction and put the rest in the engine. Then go in circles. You get a rhythm and it's kind of fun. let the gear slow you and enter tight and come out wide. That's it.
The upgrades aren't free Robert... But don't take too much out of the kitty.

What in God's name is a midline transmission?

What in God's name is a midline transmission?

In each upgrade section (engine, suspension, brakes, etc. -- and moved by the D-Pad on my wheel) you have certain parts, which are represented by little yellow dots at the top of that screen (for that section, for instance, "engine"). Each of those dots represents a different component within the section (for instance, with "engine", you can upgrade valves, pistons, exhaust, etc.), and you move between those dots with your pedals, on my wheel. Then in each of *those* sections, you have different tiers of upgrades. the top one is the least upgrade, and all are described on the right. They give you varying degrees of extra boost. This is very similar to Forza. Personally, I like to go for grip first, because like Vettel and Raikkonen, I can't drive a car that oversteers like a drifter. But others are different. Railer could probably drive a Pontiac GTO and beat me in an Indycar. The transmission is needed (pick the middle upgrade) simple to get a "final drive" (not all the gears) which I set to 0.

I still haven't done anything more here. Could end up more laps down than I run lol

Are we removing AI from the equation here? They were very unforgiving in those two brief runs we had the other day Robert and seem more likely to cause a blocked track at a place like this.

Last edited:
I still haven't done anything more here. Could end up more laps down than I run lol

Are we removing AI from the equation here? They were very unforgiving in those two brief runs we had the other day Robert and seem more likely to cause a blocked track at a place like this.
Same rules, I'd say. A.I. for short run, no A.I. For long. And it's going to be like 90 laps. lol. But the same amount of time.

Sorry I haven't been online much.. been consumed with work lately. If we can't run with damage OFF, the car can survive if you get a good rhythm and run high 14's and low 15's. If I drive Sub 14's the tires last all of about 7 laps. The Secret is just like in Real Life, You can practice driving the car and keep your RF tires around 270-280. If you hit 300 degrees you are going to blow out your tire. But just like in Real Life if you push the car too hard and abuse your tires you will blow your tire out, I think it is a very good Simulation in that aspect. As far as contact goes, its a short track. One lane of racing means there will be some rubbing as long as no one gets spun we should be pretty good. As small as this track is we may have to institute some Cautions if a spin happens.

Sorry I haven't been online much.. been consumed with work lately. If we can't run with damage OFF, the car can survive if you get a good rhythm and run high 14's and low 15's. If I drive Sub 14's the tires last all of about 7 laps. The Secret is just like in Real Life, You can practice driving the car and keep your RF tires around 270-280. If you hit 300 degrees you are going to blow out your tire. But just like in Real Life if you push the car too hard and abuse your tires you will blow your tire out, I think it is a very good Simulation in that aspect. As far as contact goes, its a short track. One lane of racing means there will be some rubbing as long as no one gets spun we should be pretty good. As small as this track is we may have to institute some Cautions if a spin happens.

Good point about cautions. I think as long as there is a lane to get through, we shouldn't call one, but if the track is blocked, anyone feel free to call a caution. The leader simply slows down and we run around for a few laps until the cars get out of the way. This will probably not happen in the second race, since there are no A.I., but you never know.

I like the advice of how to drive Michael. Your time at this track is very strong. I tried like hell to get into the sub-14s, to no avail. I just don't think we have the luxury of assuming that everyone or even most of us (myself included) can learn to drive like you describe w/o blowing a tire. So, you can set damage to any setting you wish here, but mine will be "visual only" which still risks a crumpled car getting in my line of sight.

Yea, another good point about the rules. There will be contact. So expect it. When I say NASCAR rules, it can be a bit of a shocker for those who don't watch, say, Bristol, where a small nudge on the left rear to "get him a little loose and move him out of the way" doesn't get a second glance from the Stewards. But hey, that's what short tracking is. When you get into ramming and intentional hard hits is when you catch hell.

Right on, I was thinking even if we individually set the car for visual damage I'm not sure if that will translate to the online race. It seems odd that some can run visual only and other couldn't. But I guess we'll see.
Also on the tire temps, Even if we manage to run with damage off I'm assuming tire temps will still be a factor in handling. Again if you abuse your RF, even with damage off you will begin to lose traction on that wheel and the car will push terribly. I drove 50+ laps while maintaining my tire temp. It doesn't take much just a feel and a rhythm. You can kind of tell when you are driving the car into the corners too hard. With that said. I'm not going to be blowing anyones doors off. I simply ran sub 14 to show what the car is capable of, but just like endurance races we have to take care of our equipment too.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 129 27.1%
  • Full game

Votes: 111 23.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 59 12.4%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 85 17.9%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 52 10.9%