Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

HF2000

Thou shall not pass!!!
Club Staff
Premium
maxresdefault.jpg

1446052304-roa110115fea-specmiata02.jpg

Welcome to the RD Racing Club.

As the F1 goes to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia this week and we don't have a mod for that on S.GP, we're going to a track that I wanted to visit for a long time with our multiclass. And as it happens, the Ginetta event from next Sunday is also going there: Thruxton!
Thruxton Circuit is a motor racing circuit in Thruxton, Hampshire, England. It was built in 1940 as an airfield for the USAF and the RAF, and used to transport (glider) aircraft for the landing in Normandy. In 1946 the airport was closed. It was used as a motorcycle race track in 1950 and as a car race track in 1952.

Thruxton-Trackmap.jpg

So join us for another exciting race and:

Sign up here (Password: same as last week, otherwise post here and I will send you a PM with it.):

It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Especially the new and inexperienced drivers are recommended to participate. There are a lot of learning opportunities like overtaking and blue flag situations but without the intensity and stress of the GT3/4 cars or the endurance multiclass cars. It's also good step up for those kind of events.

IMPORTANT:

• Qualify is split (not forced, gentleman's agreement). First 10min for the Audi's, second 10min for the MAZDA's. Don't go on track in the window of the other car class or you will be kicked from the session.
  • Blue Flags: If an MX5 driver gets a Blue Flag from an Audi, he has to stay on the racing line to be predictable. You can help the Audi by lifting on a straight, but you don't have to! The Audi driver is responsible for a safe overtake. Losing time doing this is part of the game and applies to any Audi. If you receive a blue flag from your own class, the normal rules apply.

Server information:
  • Practice Server: #04 (Available throughout the race week) Password: dunlop
  • Race server: S.GP Password: dunlop
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 BST (19:00 UTC) | 1 hour 15 minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 BST (20:20 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:40 CEST, 20:40 BST (20:40 UTC) | 45 minutes - Race

Event details:
  • Cars: Audi TT/Mazda MX5 Cup
  • Track: Thruxton, UK
  • Pit stop: optional
  • Tyre blankets: No
  • Track Temps: 20C air/30C track
  • Track Condition: Clear
  • Track grip: 95% increasing to 100% after about 20 minutes.
  • Track limits: No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please. You will be penalized if you break this rule.
  • Damage: 10%
  • Further info on simracing.gp

Useful Links:

Last edited:
This is going to be fast and furious!
Thruxton is the fastest circuit on the BTCC Callender and Church corner flat out is a sight to behold!
Some useless ( for us) information on Thruxton;
IRL the surface is very abrasive and coupled with the very high speeds, the regs for BTCC mandate the hardest compound here with regulated minimum pressures, all for safety reasons. Good job we don’t have to use the garages, they are tiny and none of the teams can really use them, having to set up camp in the paddock instead.
Thruxton is a working airfield with the runway in the middle of the circuit. Usually teams would have flags on top of their transporters but here this was not allowed as the light aircraft would skim the top of the paddock on the final approach during the weekend! :confused:

I have just dug out some photos of our time in the BTCC at Thruxton. A s mentioned above we used the truck awning as the pitlane garages were so small. Thought you might like to see them.
Another late night!.JPG

Burning the midnight oil in the paddock. We had some technical problems with turbo boost, it turned out the the ECU had reset the boost to test mode. We only got to the bottom of the problem when we flew in a technician from BMW Motorsport Munich, who plugged in his laptop during qualifying. Found another 40bhp, but still wasn’'t enough around here. We in the AC club are not the only ones to suffer from odd CPU set up issues! :confused:

Thruxton 002.JPG

Those Dunlop hard compounds especially for Thruxton. Back in 2007 they were 450 euros each and would be good for approximately 30 minutes in the dry!! A very quick way to get rid of money!

The Teams tribute to Colin McRae.JPG

There was 2 minutes applause on the grid before the start of race 1 for Colin McRae who tragically died a few days before this event.

Thruxton 021.JPG

Driver and team owner Rick Kerry signing autographs on the public grid walk with grid girl Hayley. The garages were only big enough for tyre changes, you could hardly get a car in them, more suited for bike racing.

Thruxton 035.JPG

On the grid a few minutes before the green flag lap and trouble..........the guy on his knees is investigating as Rick reported there was a strong smell of fuel after the formation lap.

Thruxton 038.JPG

Crew Chief Neil discussing options with Rick.
Thruxton 024.JPG

And a quick selfie....... that's me on the left :D :D. One of my roles was ensure everyone was in the right place at the right time, that included the truck and team arriving at the track on time, drivers briefings, and the car being ready to roll at the specific times during the weekend. If you missed any of the times there were heavy fines!
Thruxton 2007.jpg

And finally a shot of the car in action, just coming through the chicane onto the finish straight.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should give you a BOP for knowing the track so well....:O_o:
Here we go again, Han´s making another empty threat :p

Just go on like that and next month you´ll not only host our races (Thank you very much btw :thumbsup:) but also manage the BOP/Penalty Wheight system (which is next level ..... complicated and has a lot of room for "Masi moments")

So let´s not do that Carsten

As I thought, I quite like thruxton:

lots of WOT, little braking and enough " you can take hand from the wheel and take a little sip of coffee" passages.

Now I only need someone to sell me a fast and stable way through this ...., ..... ,--------; !!!!!! Club chicane.

Oh, and a nother thing I quite like:
if you do stupid things to the Kwik Stop signs they jump out of they way with an insulted "thudd" that sounds eerily realistic ( I won´t take any questions regarding that topic :redface:)

MFG Carsten

Thruxton is a working airfield with the runway in the middle of the circuit. Usually teams would have flags on top of their transporters but here this was not allowed as the light aircraft would skim the top of the paddock on the final approach during the weekend! :confused:
Paul,

if I understand you right there is air traffic during the races?

I guess the access would be no problem due to tunnel under start/finish straight.

But what concerns the !german! safety officer is the direct connection between air strip and race track at Goodwood corner.

A car spinning out or a plane coming in low would lead to awkward encounters and even more embarrassing investigations later :cautious:

MFG Carsten

Paul,

I guess the access would be no problem due to tunnel under start/finish straight.

But what concerns the !german! safety officer is the direct connection between air strip and race track at Goodwood corner.

A car spinning out or a plane coming in low would lead to awkward encounters and even more embarrassing investigations later :cautious:

MFG Carsten
It's ok, you just have to watch out for the waved yellows during takeoff and landings.

Paul,

MFG Carsten
I like your thinking Carsten, but the Civil Avaition Authority here in the UK wouldn’t allow air traffic when cars on track but there was a curfew when no cars on track and no flags on transporters so the aircraft could land.
We did ask for permission to run the car down the runway at one point to test the Turbo boost but while TOCA were sympathetic to our cause and wanted a competitive field they declined on the basis that if they allowed us to do it every team would want a go!:D

I have just dug out some photos of our time in the BTCC at Thruxton. A s mentioned above we used the truck awning as the pitlane garages were so small. Thought you might like to see them.
View attachment 550418
Burning the midnight oil in the paddock. We had some technical problems with turbo boost, it turned out the the ECU had reset the boost to test mode. We only got to the bottom of the problem when we flew in a technician from BMW Motorsport Munich, who plugged in his laptop during qualifying. Found another 40bhp, but still wasn’'t enough around here. We in the AC club are not the only ones to suffer from odd CPU set up issues! :confused:

View attachment 550420
Those Dunlop hard compounds especially for Thruxton. Back in 2007 they were 450 euros each and would be good for approximately 30 minutes in the dry!! A very quick way to get rid of money!

View attachment 550444

There was 2 minutes applause on the grid before the start of race 1 for Colin McRae who tragically died a few days before this event.

View attachment 550461

Driver and team owner Rick Kerry signing autographs on the public grid walk with grid girl Hayley. The garages were only big enough for tyre changes, you could hardly get a car in them, more suited for bike racing.

View attachment 550464
On the grid a few minutes before the green flag lap and trouble..........the guy on his knees is investigating as Rick reported there was a strong smell of fuel after the formation lap.

View attachment 550465
Crew Chief Neil discussing options with Rick.
View attachment 550468
And a quick selfie....... that's me on the left :D :D. One of my roles was ensure everyone was in the right place at the right time, that included the truck and team arriving at the track on time, drivers briefings, and the car being ready to roll at the specific times during the weekend. If you missed any of the times there were heavy fines!
View attachment 550471
And finally a shot of the car in action, just coming through the chicane onto the finish straight.
Great posts Paul. Enjoyed reading them. I went to Thruxton a lot as a kid as my father marshalled there with the BARC. Sadly never driven it though, only the kart track.

Latest News

Back