AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@Donington Park, Wednesday 20th April 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
results for anyone interested: https://simresults.net/220420-eM9

Thanks Thomas, this is always an interesting read. Actually, I struggled a lot to find consistency, and the stats says it all: more than 1 full second between my best lap and the best possible. If this isn't inconsistency, tell me what it is then!
Other than the myriad of little errors in T1 being the the trickiest of them all, but closely followed by the last two hairpins and the esses, a pretty uneventful race being that at L5 I was already racing alone and trying to stay on track. In T1 it was very difficult to stay on track, I don't know if it was because of my low racecraft of it's something having to do with the physics and the fact that that corner has some strange camber or goes downhill. :unsure:
The first two or three laps were the worst as I couldn't join the qualify (my son forgot some of his homework and I wanted to help him given the late hour) and my last practice had been on Saturday or Sunday so I had a bit of rust.. therefore, after a good start a risked the spin so many times that I was penultime in a pair of laps and already in the Audists viewfinder. There was a bit of confusion when @Kek700 passed me on the left after having said he would do it on the right but hey, isn't him one of those guys driving every day on the wrong side of the road? It makes sense they're confusing right and left then :roflmao:

Cheers to the podium finishers, especially Ernie for the well deserved win and Doug for his podium, and a big thank you to Han for hosting the event.

Next week I'll be on holiday with the family so I somehow had to pay for this privilege :cautious: Karma jumped in, and the last two weeks were very full of work and empty of free time for me. I had no time to read the forums, I know I have a couple of mentions in the Imola thread and a private message, I'm going to read them now. See you on track on May 4th!

I'm not criticising anyone but on a few occasions last night I was mugged by another Audi when trying to abide by the 'rule' not to dive bomb or intimidate Mazda's into corners. If that's allowed then fine - I'd just like some clarity on how we are supposed to behave.

Personally I'd prefer it if the Audi driver would wait until we're passed the Mazda to continue battling. Otherwise you are under pressure to make the pass because you don't know what the other Audi is going to
I'm not criticising anyone but on a few occasions last night I was mugged by another Audi when trying to abide by the 'rule' not to dive bomb or intimidate Mazda's into corners. If that's allowed then fine - I'd just like some clarity on how we are supposed to behave.

Personally I'd prefer it if the Audi driver would wait until we're passed the Mazda to continue battling. Otherwise you are under pressure to make the pass because you don't know what the other Audi is going to do.
Agreed. Thanks for the battle yesterday though was a good 15/20 mins of fighting

I was mugged by another Audi when trying to abide by the 'rule' not to dive bomb or intimidate Mazda's into corners
Was it me? I remember passing you after what I thought was a bad exit from you. At the time, I thought it was legal catching up, taking advantage of your bad luck.

If so, I'm sorry that I apparently did not obeyed my own directions.

Thanks Thomas, this is always an interesting read. Actually, I struggled a lot to find consistency, and the stats says it all: more than 1 full second between my best lap and the best possible. If this isn't inconsistency, tell me what it is then!
Other than the myriad of little errors in T1 being the the trickiest of them all, but closely followed by the last two hairpins and the esses, a pretty uneventful race being that at L5 I was already racing alone and trying to stay on track. In T1 it was very difficult to stay on track, I don't know if it was because of my low racecraft of it's something having to do with the physics and the fact that that corner has some strange camber or goes downhill. :unsure:
The first two or three laps were the worst as I couldn't join the qualify (my son forgot some of his homework and I wanted to help him given the late hour) and my last practice had been on Saturday or Sunday so I had a bit of rust.. therefore, after a good start a risked the spin so many times that I was penultime in a pair of laps and already in the Audists viewfinder. There was a bit of confusion when @Kek700 passed me on the left after having said he would do it on the right but hey, isn't him one of those guys driving every day on the wrong side of the road? It makes sense they're confusing right and left then :roflmao:

Cheers to the podium finishers, especially Ernie for the well deserved win and Doug for his podium, and a big thank you to Han for hosting the event.

Next week I'll be on holiday with the family so I somehow had to pay for this privilege :cautious: Karma jumped in, and the last two weeks were very full of work and empty of free time for me. I had no time to read the forums, I know I have a couple of mentions in the Imola thread and a private message, I'm going to read them now. See you on track on May 4th!
Thanks Omar.

Technically Ernie drives on the correct side of the road, same as me. :p

Actually, it's quite funny, I'm so used to driving LHD cars in AC that when I practiced for the Ginetta GT4 race I had to switch from the RHD version to the LHD version as I was about a second slower round Brands Hatch gp. :)

Actually, it's quite funny, I'm so used to driving LHD cars in AC that when I practiced for the Ginetta GT4 race I had to switch from the RHD version to the LHD version as I was about a second slower round Brands Hatch gp. :)
The fun thing, which I neve thought about and read somewhere on ACC forums, is that RHD cars have a physics advantage in CW tracks while LHD cars have the same advantage on CCW track, because the driver's weight stays on the inside in most of the corners. Don't know how of that is translated into simracing but it makes sense in the real world, doesn't it?

Quite a nice race for me. After the intense races on Tuesday I hoped for a more relaxed event now but after qually I found myself between Colin and Ernie which is kind of the worst scenario for me from a relax perspective. But it was solved immediately because I ran out of time for my pre race chat and was too late to get my gloves on. Totally screwed up my start and after a desperate unsuccesful overtake attempt on Harry I found myself last of the Audi's with a gap of 3 seconds to Richard. Managed to catch up and we had a great battle with overtakes for both but which I finally won (I hope in a decent way). My pace was better so I could leave Richard behind and close the gap to Colin and Harry.
When I was fairly close something happened with Harry/Colin and some Mazda's of which I could profit to pass Colin. Closing in on Harry he had contact with Mazda's and disconnected. I even managed 2nd when Thomas made a big mistake and we had a battle for a couple of laps. He could profit from a small mistake of me to take 2nd back and after for me some unlucky Mazda situations the gap grew to an extent that I would not be able to close the gap.

Congrats to Ernie and Andre and the other podium guys and thanks all for joining.

Next week a Mazda only event on a challenging track that I regard as less suitable for a multiclass: Ahvenisto.

Last edited:
Was it me? I remember passing you after what I thought was a bad exit from you. At the time, I thought it was legal catching up, taking advantage of your bad luck.

If so, I'm sorry that I apparently did not obeyed my own directions.
Well that was one of them. My corner was compromised as I had a Mazda directly in front of me. You probably didn't know what happened so just took advantage of my slower exit speed. I'd have probably done the same :)

Joys of multi-class I guess.

Qualifying second certainly flattered my speed around here as I was a good second off the fast guys in the race. I was losing loads of time in T1 and should have been taking it in a higher gear - but it's to easy to run wide so I was being cautious.

Lost 2nd place in the race fairly quickly to Ernie and had a good battle holding off Harry for 10 laps. Harry passed down the Craner curves and a hesitation from me passing a Mazda saw Han sweep past. So from 3rd to 5th in a few corners was a bit disappointing.

I then manage to hold off Richard for most of the rest of the race but ultimately finished last of the runners.

Still good fun but not the result I'd hoped for.

Thanks as ever to Han for organising and thanks for the rest of you for some great racing.

Last edited:
Late review of my part on this event:

Oh god, please let's do brands hatch five times in a row instead of even considering this track again please ;p
Whoever designed those last two corners is, in my view, a sadist. During the whole race I could not put a decent run through them at all. But back to the race. Practice was fun and I was really happy with my low 1:47 and ability to maintain the car mostly on track. Quali was ok but I don't really pay much attention to my starting position given my lowly goals. Race started fine and I dodged all the spinning mayhem of the first lap and ended up chasing David Jevons(after a brief fight) even though he was always a bit faster than me. I was enjoying my consistency until Allan caught up with me pacing over a second faster than my best. I decided that even though I was going to be overtaken for sure I was hoping that he would show me how to do it but instead I ended up facing the traffic direction after a bump on a fast corner. This really bummed me a bit but I rejoined and focused on my pace and on figuring those 2 last corners out(never happened).

I was happy with my consistency since I never spun out on my own or caused any accidents on others(I think). And I'm happy I feel more confortable driving feeling confortable to try different racing lines and tactics instead of stressing out simply to keep the car on track.

I feel I'm making progress. (even if it's just a feeling, well, it feels good)

Thanks for the organization once again.

@pcmoreno
Frustration is the most difficult thing to deal with in this sim racing, some circuits of which I totally agree with you are designed solely to frustrate, plus then getting punted, not being able to put a decent lap together.:(
If you are the fastest on the day at that circuit, it sort of compensates for the above, but when things are not going your way. Then the secret of this sim racing is dealing with the above in a positive way, This is a real advantage if you can do it.
Unfortunately, I am always on the cusp of failing to meet the above, but when on those rare days when I come to terms with the circuit and my run of race horrors, i just relax and go with the situation, ironically everything then comes to me.
You would think after the above I would learn from that, no, I still go through the frustration
thing.:(

Attachments

• download (100).jpg
    download (100).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 36
This might be a controversial opinion but I vastly prefer the National layout of Donington, with the chicane going right-left into the pit straight. That extra section in the full track always feels tacked on to the rest of the circuit, and the hairpin is the stuff of nightmares.

Brands is another one where the shorter layout is more enjoyable. That long left hander that climbs the hill (Surtees?) is a bonafide lap-ruiner. You miss some good corners by not driving out into the woods, but it's worth it imo. Plus, the indy layout is so short that you get to enjoy the Paddock Hill bend twice as much :D

Boys,

should be interesting to hear you bitchin about discussing our new track Ahvenisto.

THAT´s a murderous bitch track that in no perceivable way can be forced, you´ll have to get every line just right or you are .... kissed for at least to more corners.

It´s gonna be interesting.

See you Carsten
So it seems that my trip in Paris will be well worth it :roflmao:

Boys,

should be interesting to hear you bitchin about discussing our new track Ahvenisto.

THAT´s a murderous bitch track that in no perceivable way can be forced, you´ll have to get every line just right or you are .... kissed for at least to more corners.

It´s gonna be interesting.

See you Carsten
Agreed. I have also had lots of trips to the scenery tonight. I even found that there's water and there's a rumour that you can land in it and teleport to the pits. I can't comment on that :)

Latest News

Back