AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Charade, Wed 26th July 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Guys,

It may come as a shock to you :D but I'm switching to the Mazda for now.
I'm experimenting with profiles for the setting of my pedals and the one I have for the MX5 feels very good. I'd like to see if this makes me more competitive in our events.
He has seen the light:

light.jpg

What a great version of this track. Though that fast right hander up the hill seems harder than I remember

Han, don't know if you're still looking for smaller tracks (that aren't brands hatch :p) for summer races, but this track is a fun one that I don't think we've raced before, made by Lilski too https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/new-jersey-motorsports-park-lightning.14212/

It also happens to be one of the few race tracks New Jersey (in real life, or in AC) :)

Last edited:
What a great version of this track. Though that fast right hander up the hill seems harder than I remember

Han, don't know if you're still looking for smaller tracks (that aren't brands hatch :p) for summer races, but this track is a fun one that I don't think we've raced before, made by Lilski too https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/new-jersey-motorsports-park-lightning.14212/

It also happens to be one of the few race tracks New Jersey (in real life, or in AC) :)
Thanks Robert,

It's on my list but unfortunately for you guys in America I'm testing the track on alphabetical order of countrynames and therefore I'm still not testing the USA tracks yet. But I've already have a lot of potential short circuits. Actually there are a lot of mods with track of less than 3km.
Barbagello is a good one but we've already been there quite some time ago. It would be a nice one to vote for Track of the Month August.

Wow! What a track!

Finally had some time to try out the track and put in some practice.
At first the track is quite intimidating, with so many tight corners and many elevation changes.
But then as you get more comfortable you start really enjoying the rollercoaster ride.

Truly amazing drive, from track layout to scenery everything is so enjoyable.
It even has a loud-speaker announcement next to the starting line saying something in loop to annoy you if you spend more than 30 seconds adjusting your set-up. :laugh:

Also gave it a few laps on the Mazda to confirm my choice with the Abarth as well as understand the turns that are more prone to upsetting the RWD balance - be extra careful exiting that second tight hairpin!

Really looking forward to tomorrow!

Cheers!
- Ricardo

So you find a "twerking " Mazda intimidating? :D

Yes, you can say that. :cautious:
I know I am not at a skill level that allows me to consistently pull that off, so my choice is between:
a) FWD, the style I prefer, I'm more comfortable with and allows me to get better and more consistent times; but on a car where I hate both the interior/dash and gearbox.
-- or --
b) RWD, which can be fun at times but requires more babysitting and I am not able to do that for an entire hour of racing, which will certainly lead to at the very minimum 2 spins and a lot less consistency times. The ride is much smoother though and I can downshift without fear of over-reving the car and damage the engine.

For most races (this one included) I go with option a).
I do switch it up at times when either there are turns that I get too much understeer with my shopping cart or when the track is simple and I can have some fun with the Mazda.
Last time I choose the Mazda was in Paradise Bay, so not that long ago.

Ricardo, you do you ;)

And I will not rib you for your car choice unlike some other turn coats here :p
(this one I´ll probably grill about his Smartcontrol Live experiences and if it will pay out to touch a running system :rolleyes:)

For me the Mazda drives quite naturally, it reminds me of some irl driving I´ve done on skid pads.
There are some sectors here at Charade where you place it with the accelerator :inlove:

It looks glorious in the replays (when you get it right, if not: 10% damage :redface:)

Easy, you control the slip angle with the accelerator first and steering wheel later.

customer video (of a beginner class/first step):

it goes uphill from there....

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of a struggle in the middle sector, way off the pace - there are laps where I found a little more but the track limits are pretty strict in that run of twisty corners and they were deleted. Hopefully I can get plenty more practice in tonight. I think it'll make for great racing though, if I can keep up :D

Yes, I know but as Track of the Month it is allowed to choose a track where we have been before. In fact, that's the whole idea behind it.
If you guys want the Nordschleife every month, it's up to you.

BTW: Fulvio, you didn't sign up yet! Please take the Abarth!
last time i was on the abarth ill go with the mx5 . i dont really know if i can make it for the race anyway

Last edited:
I may be out of this one unfortunately :( Our accelerator pedal has broken. I've managed to swap the clutch pedal in its place (saving the kids school holidays!). However it has a lot more resistance and is quite weird to drive with. If I can get round safely in practice I may join you at the back.

[Edited for spelling.]

Last edited:
I may be out of this one unfortunately :( Our accelerator pedal has broken. I've managed to swap the clutch pedal in its place (saving the kids school holidays!). However it has a lot more resistance and is quite weird to drive with. If I can get round safely in practice I may join you at the back.

[Edited for spelling.]
What pedals do have?

With Logitech and Thrustmaster pedals it´s (easily) possible to switch the springs.

Latest News

Back