AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Bridgehampton, Wed 25th October 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Last edited:
I tested the G40 GT5 too. A great car and RWD. But unfortunally much too fast without BOP. There is also a G40 Junior, but it's too slow.
Original source: https://shaunclarke35.***********/website/downloads

(replace **** with wixsite dot com)
I agree. It's a great car! Trickier than the Mazda and it hates kerbs but otherwise a very lovely drive.
But too fast indeed. What a pity!

Last edited:
I agree. It's a great car! Trickier than the Mazda and it hates kerbs but otherwise a very lovely drive.
But too fast indeed. What a pity!
BTW, the G40 is my replacement for the MX5 Cup in Automobilista 2. Another AM2 favorite for me is the Aussie Racing Cars Camaro.
It is available for AC from Legion. The Mod is well made with responsive physics and FFB:
https://*************************/2022/11/aussie-racing-cars-camaro-version.html
(replace *** with perendinator dot blogspot dot com)

Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Bph0Ukk87t8TsP9mNzw5B2t7Huu3g3N/view?usp=share_link

In my first tests, it really matches the MX5 Cup.
But it is a demanding racing car (oversteer, curbs again!) and this may vary in a good drivers hand. Mabe to special for the grid, I'm not sure!?

... and yes, it's a real racing car, not fictional:

Last edited:
BTW, the G40 is my replacement for the MX5 Cup in Automobilista 2. Another AM2 favorite for me is the Aussie Racing Cars Camaro.
It is available for AC from Legion. The Mod is well made with responsive physics and FFB:
(replace *** with perendinator dot blogspot dot com)

Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Bph0Ukk87t8TsP9mNzw5B2t7Huu3g3N/view?usp=share_link

In my first tests, it really matches the MX5 Cup.
But it is a demanding racing car (oversteer, curbs again!) and this may vary in a good drivers hand. Mabe to special for the grid, I'm not sure!?

... and yes, it's a real racing car, not fictional:
Nice drive but in my first timed lap I was 1,8s faster than my MX5 PB.

At first, I want to clarify that I am not a nerd, but I enjoy challenges like this and want to share my experiences with you.
Since the test server is needed for other races (which are all fantastic), we couldn't collect much data. However, we drew some conclusions: the G40 is too fast, and the Abarth 124 is too slow. Finding good FWD contender is not a problem. But a RWD contender for the MX5 Cup is hard to find.

So I've tried another approach to find/evaluate good contenders for the MX5 Cup/Abarth 500 races. I set up an AI-race (for details see attached screenshot) with 10 laps. The AI-Setup 95/85 gives good racing/overtaking without cars running wild or piling up in the first corner. And I read somewhere (not sure), that an AI level above 80 enables the AI to adjust the setup or change tires according to its requirements. So I choose 95.
Regarding the grid, I tried to distribute the cars fairly (12345543211234554321). BTW: The Ginetta G40 is missing, because it was way too fast in the first attempt.

The results (see attached screenshot): The Abarth 124 is too slow as previously mentioned. The Clios might be to fast, while the Swift and the Civic appear to be suitable additions to the grid.

(edit: Screenshot 1 is the result and screenshot 2 the starting grid)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-02 175614.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-02 175614.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-11-02 175706.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-02 175706.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
At first, I want to clarify that I am not a nerd, but I enjoy challenges like this and want to share my experiences with you.
Since the test server is needed for other races (which are all fantastic), we couldn't collect much data. However, we drew some conclusions: the G40 is too fast, and the Abarth 124 is too slow. Finding good FWD contender is not a problem. But a RWD contender for the MX5 Cup is hard to find.

So I've tried another approach to find/evaluate good contenders for the MX5 Cup/Abarth 500 races. I set up an AI-race (for details see attached screenshot) with 10 laps. The AI-Setup 95/85 gives good racing/overtaking without cars running wild or piling up in the first corner. And I read somewhere (not sure), that an AI level above 80 enables the AI to adjust the setup or change tires according to its requirements. So I choose 95.
Regarding the grid, I tried to distribute the cars fairly (12345543211234554321). BTW: The Ginetta G40 is missing, because it was way too fast in the first attempt.

The results (see attached screenshot): The Abarth 124 is too slow as previously mentioned. The Clios might be to fast, while the Swift and the Civic appear to be suitable additions to the grid.
Doesn't work though Dirk, AI is randomised despite you setting 95/85 with no margin. Proof is in the fact same cars have different times. Nice try but no imho

Doesn't work though Dirk, AI is randomised despite you setting 95/85 with no margin. Proof is in the fact same cars have different times. Nice try but no imho
I'm not sure, I set the strength to 95 (fix) and agression to 85 (fix) (edit: 85 means no piles in the first corner after the start and no rattling cars) and 10 laps to let them race and overtake. I watched the race and it was good racing. Maybe I don't really understood AI at all. Then it's rubbish of course.

Last edited:
It depends on the AI lines that the creator of the track has made and which car he has used for it. You will find tracks where the Mazda is clearly superior on the FWD cars because the AI lines were based on a RWD car (as most of the tracks).
Certain AI lines can only be followed correctly with cars that have RWD characteristics. AI with FWD cars suck on that kind of tracks.

Thank you Han, that's the point. It is based on AI-lines. This is not appropriate for RWD/FWD comparisons or even multi class like WEC with LMP1 and GT cars. Good to know.

In my opinion we should go with the established cars (MX5, Abarth 500, Swift) as you already did for the next race.

Thank you very much for your efforts with the test server.
I think it was worth a try.

Thank you Han, that's the point. It is based on AI-lines. This is not appropriate for RWD/FWD comparisons or even multi class like WEC with LMP1 and GT cars. Good to know.

In my opinion we should go with the established cars (MX5, Abarth 500, Swift) as you already did for the next race.

Thank you very much for your efforts with the test server.
I think it was worth a try.
Yes I will keep those three cars for the time being but any suggestion for another RWD I will investigate.

As I may have mentioned before the MX5/Miata as an affordable RWD sports car is a unicorn in real life and in conclusion also in the sim world.

Real life comptitors could be:

BMW E30 318is, 325i
BMW E36 320i (NOT Italo M3)

Lots of german saloons of the 70s and 80s a la Opel Manta and Ascona A, Ford Sierra, Mercedes 190e 2.6

New Idea, what about MG F?

The problem would be to find a "race ready" mod with the right power.

As I may have mentioned before the MX5/Miata as an affordable RWD sports car is a unicorn in real life and in conclusion also in the sim world.

Real life comptitors could be:

BMW E30 318is, 325i
BMW E36 320i (NOT Italo M3)

Lots of german saloons of the 70s and 80s a la Opel Manta and Ascona A, Ford Sierra, Mercedes 190e 2.6

New Idea, what about MG F?

The problem would be to find a "race ready" mod with the right power.
Looks promising! Certainly one I'm going to test!

https://**************/car/toyota_mr2_aw11

Replace asterisks with assetto-db dot com

Last edited:

Latest News

Back