AC Mazda MX5/Abarth 500@Barcelona, Wednesday 18th May 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks for organizing @HF2000 and congrats @thom462

That was kind of a special race for me. Tom, Arne and myself we were running in 1,2,3 separated by about 1-2 seconds for about the entire first half of the race. Everyone was doing great lap times and held the pressure on the car in front very high. So it was all about being fast and super precise. No room for the tiniest error, especially with a slow car like the MX-5. After a little contact with @AW939 we lost contact with @thom462 so P1 was settled. My battle with Arne for P2 went on and I was the one to make that little mistake :( Touched one inside curb and lost the car +2 places. Could at least regain P3 and set the fastest lap in the last round.

Anybody else had the feeling that the grip level increased to the end of the race?
I'm actually not sure about the grip level. I saw that we reached 100% way before, so maybe it was the lighter car towards the end of the race? Or was there a temperature change? Didn't notice any difference to the tyre temps. Also, I definitely overfueled with my 14l (for 30 laps), but 1-2l shouldn't make a huge difference.
I was also definitely getting faster after our fight, but maybe it was just a better rhythm. But I took it a bit slower the last 2-3 laps seeing you fell back a bit after my fastest lap and I was getting more nervous that I could still bin it.

Also checking the replay I saw that I don't see the clutch input of others, is that normal? Was interesting to see that @thom462 and @640er made a clean clutch downshift while I did blips without a clutch (since I cannot do Heel-and-toe or braking with the right foot at all). But seems to have been similar in pace.

Last edited:
Content to have another victory in the MX5, I begin to like this car more and more. In the past I was nowhere quick with no downforce cars so I'm glad to get better with this type of car. Would be great to race this one in real life some time. The moto layout is so much better, actually I dont like the track in the GP layout. It makes so much of a difference.
First twenty minutes were intense as Andreas and Arne had more or less the same pace and were right on my back, so there was no room for any error. But I could keep it constant and drive it home.

Thx Han for organizing and all for racing. Cu next time.

Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_cup_ks_barcelona_19-5-122-0-20-57.jpg

I'm actually not sure about the grip level. I saw that we reached 100% way before, so maybe it was the lighter car towards the end of the race? Or was there a temperature change? Didn't notice any difference to the tyre temps. Also, I definitely overfueled with my 14l (for 30 laps), but 1-2l shouldn't make a huge difference.
I was also definitely getting faster after our fight, but maybe it was just a better rhythm. But I took it a bit slower the last 2-3 laps seeing you fell back a bit after my fastest lap and I was getting more nervous that I could still bin it.

Also checking the replay I saw that I don't see the clutch input of others, is that normal? Was interesting to see that @thom462 and @640er made a clean clutch downshift while I did blips without a clutch (since I cannot do Heel-and-toe or braking with the right foot at all). But seems to have been similar in pace.
Yes Arne, there is time to be had with a manual box gear change as opposed to ladles, I have investigated this in the past. And had conversations with Rasmus about it.
But as I have no interest in the extra performance it gives, cannot say that much about it, very happy with flappy paddles.
I think , and only think, on a long circuit like this, smashing the gears in , it can make about half a second, yes I do mean “about”.
I have in the past with some of our aliens, seen them go out of a race with a damaged gear box, says it all.
I think people keep quiet about it’s advantages and disadvantages, but that is just me being paranoid.:roflmao::roflmao:

Anybody else had the feeling that the grip level increased to the end of the race?
To be honest after grip increased to 100 percent I did not notice better grip but I backed off little bit after gap was big enough so this is just subjective
These replay files seem to be somewhat strange. Except for the start I did not use a clutch. Did all shifts with pedal on the wheel. Actually never tried heel to toe ever. Interesting comment from Ernie though.

Last edited:
To be honest after grip increased to 100 percent I did not notice better grip but I backed off little bit after gap was big enough so this is just subjective

These replay files seem to be somewhat strange. Except for the start I did not use a clutch. Did all shifts with pedal on the wheel. Actually never tried heel to toe ever. Interesting comment from Ernie though.
Interesting, I thought I saw you downshift 5->3 skipping 4th but maybe that was just the replay. I just expected a clutch to be used, because it seemed quite smooth.
I actually use a real H-pattern shifter, but only use the clutch on upshifts and otherwise hammer them in with a manual blip.

Last edited:
I use also an H shifter and do use the clutch for every shift (up and down). Yes it's true that with an H-shifter and using the clutch you have a better launch of the starting line. Guess this was also the reason why I was ahead of Thomas after the start before breaking into T1.

Not to be the wiseguy here ( shut up, everybody ;)),
but the late model MX5Cup car has sequential gear box with manual clutch.
(And yes, AC is not up to date here)

Thats exactly how I drive it, starting with manual clutch, upshifts "bruteforcing" because of ignition cut and the downshifts with manual blip.

And yes, manual clutch gives you an advantage at race starts ( right, Han and Ernie :rolleyes:)

I thought about the H shifter mentioned above but I drive ( and sometimes play with) manual cars and so I don´t want to mess up my muscle memory, a missed shift can be dangerous or at least frigging expensive when it happens at a bad moment.

MFG Carsten

Another track I don't love until we're out racing on it :rolleyes:

Which speaking of racing, I think Richard, Paulo, and I were racing for almost the entire 45min yesterday within 1-2s of each other :confused: . Simon was in the mix too for a while and the four of us were within a 1s front to back. Surprisingly/impressively we all managed a lap or two like that and only suffered one bumper tap :thumbsup:

In the end I was content to finish where I was. Gained a couple spots, and had some good battles doing it and enjoyed the mix of cars, but lack of blue flag overtakes :)

Thanks for putting this fun combo together Han, congrats to the podium finishers, and thanks again Ernie for the setup
:thumbsup:

To keep this going, interests me from a technical point of view.
And this is all , I think, certainly not going to return to actually investigating it, famous last words.
You loose about one tenth of a second each paddle shift, but the car keeps , obviously some part of its momentum. How much I do not know.

I was going to get a manual shifter and do some more work on this, but then lost the will to live on the subject.

Rasmus is a good source, but I do not think he put much effort into the reality of this.

Do not put any faith in the replays, again Rasmus and I did some work on this when I could not understand why I was the fastest every where but 2 seconds off the pace.

Conclusion, replays are for a rough visual representation, not something you can 100% rely on in any way.

To all,

Just to show you what you're missing not participating in the DriveToSurvive championship

We only had 8 drivers yesterday but all of us had great fun.
And it only takes you an hour or even less if you skip practice. This was Barcelona, next week is Monaco and you can still enter the championship. There are still 17 events left (similar to the F1).

Last edited:

Latest News

Back