AC LMP1/GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 3rd July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Here's another view with my car position from a different lap superimposed onto it to highlight the difference in the lines I took
1656951686781.png

Clearly, if I took the normal line there would be no way for the LMP to make the corner while staying inbounds

I am not sure, with the regs as they are, I agree; with rules in place, then maybe yes.
But I had, probably unlucky, lots of problems and near misses.
It very much depends where and when you are overtaken and if it is just one car, two or three racing against each other.
These cars are lightening fast but as they get caught in slow corners the lmp1 drivers expectations do not alway match the reality of a gt3 going slow and a lmp1 going slow.
If like me who had probably four or so incidences occurring for just a handful of seconds in 60min of racing, then it is statistically very unlikely to happen in the same way to others. That does not mean that it is unimportant, only to those it has not happpened too.
:)

I am not sure, with the regs as they are, I agree; with rules in place, then maybe yes.
But I had, probably unlucky, lots of problems and near misses.
It very much depends where and when you are overtaken and if it is just one car, two or three racing against each other.
These cars are lightening fast but as they get caught in slow corners the lmp1 drivers expectations do not alway match the reality of a gt3 going slow and a lmp1 going slow.
If like me who had probably four or so incidences occurring for just a handful of seconds in 60min of racing, then it is statistically very unlikely to happen in the same way to others. That does not mean that it is unimportant, only to those it has not happpened too.
:)

Hi Ernie, can you PM the laps and turn numbers, I will have a look.

Hi Ernie, can you PM the laps and turn numbers, I will have a look.
That is very kind of you Brian, “no one did anything even remotely wrong”, they were just racing, I would not even call it a racing incident.
I was just always a victim of this lmp1 and Gt3 mix that ruined my racing enjoyment.
I have seen this before as an observer, and like most just felt for the driver involved, this time it was me, and that changed my perspective to the outcome for some poor sod.
I raced with Patrick for a number of difficult laps for both of us, but I always had a perspective of where he was, you just cannot do that with two lmp1 cars looking for any gap they can find to get away from the other perusing lmp1.
I realise most would not agree with me, but if I am racing and a third car is involved, I take the distance I gained as a gift, but rarely take it as an overtaking opportunity, usually preferring to stop an overtake till the third car is gone.

I am just in a bleating mood, take no notice Brian, all will soon be forgotten.

AE5B5EAE-2BCB-4A3E-9C58-DF11F8B30D86.jpeg

That is very kind of you Brian, “no one did anything even remotely wrong”, they were just racing, I would not even call it a racing incident.
I was just always a victim of this lmp1 and Gt3 mix that ruined my racing enjoyment.
I have seen this before as an observer, and like most just felt for the driver involved, this time it was me, and that changed my perspective to the outcome for some poor sod.
I raced with Patrick for a number of difficult laps for both of us, but I always had a perspective of where he was, you just cannot do that with two lmp1 cars looking for any gap they can find to get away from the other perusing lmp1.
I realise most would not agree with me, but if I am racing and a third car is involved, I take the distance I gained as a gift, but rarely take it as an overtaking opportunity, usually preferring to stop an overtake till the third car is gone.

I am just in a bleating mood, take no notice Brian, all will soon be forgotten.

View attachment 579096

Yes, I know what you mean exactly. Drove many a race in the maser and ginetta as the slower class. It's a personal choice to kick a man while he's down, or not. Sometimes of the lapping car makes an arse of it I'll let the other car recover so we can continue the battle. Usually it's just part of the multi-class game, where it all balances put in the long term.

Don't know if you've ever driven these cars Brian, or if they're on S.GP, but if we wanted to try out some mix classed racing with prototypes (without hybrid systems) this set is a good bit of fun. Not a hugely different top speed from the GT3, but much quicker off the line or out of a corner

Last edited:
Don't know if you've ever driven these cars Brian, or if they're on S.GP, but if we wanted to try out some mix classed racing with prototypes (without hybrid systems) this set is a good bit of fun. Not a hugely different top speed from the GT3, but much quicker off the line or out of a corner

Ye it's nice to drive and works well with gt4. I setup an event with them last summer. The tyres are unusual is the only thing. From what I remember you need to run very high track temps to get them to heat. I asked for for them to be added to s.gp over a year ago now. Didn't the gt car part of it yet.

First my apologies to Michael, Patrick and Colin for the bumps. Lucky the results where not bad.

I had a good race, my first decent run the McLaren. During practice I adjusted the rear camber and found I could keep the car on track.

I need to get used to the car as is fast in the corners, but lacks power for passing on the straights.

Had a good second half chasing Brandon.

Thanks for hosting great driving by the winners!

Thanks Brian for hosting this one and congrats to the podium guys :thumbsup:

It was my first full length MC race and boy did I sometimes underestimate the closing difference. Sorry if I compromised any of the GT3 races. At least from my onboard feeling, I played it relatively safe, slowing down in doubt. My respect for the real-life endurance racers grew even more. Being focused for 8h+ in a MC real-life event is something different.

Race was fun, had a good battle with Brian for P2. In the end he was quicker even if the pass in the last lap would not have been approved by the stewards ;)

I suppose 50% lighter and nearly double the power, certainly made for some extremely fast action compared to the GT3 cars. When I got passed on the straights, the speed difference was truly amazing.
I wish they had normally aspirated cars available on SPG, the older LMP1 cars, it’s these battery things I really do not like.:)

Thanks Brian for hosting this one and congrats to the podium guys :thumbsup:

It was my first full length MC race and boy did I sometimes underestimate the closing difference. Sorry if I compromised any of the GT3 races. At least from my onboard feeling, I played it relatively safe, slowing down in doubt. My respect for the real-life endurance racers grew even more. Being focused for 8h+ in a MC real-life event is something different.

Race was fun, had a good battle with Brian for P2. In the end he was quicker even if the pass in the last lap would not have been approved by the stewards ;)

I didn't intend for the small contact to happen andreas. I guess that is what you would be pointing out to the stewards :) You didn' t leave me much space though!

It was a nice fight for P2. Your pace improved alot from the Qualy!

tight.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't intend for the small contact to happen andreas. I guess that is what you would be pointing out to the stewards :) You didn' t leave me much space though!

It was a nice fight for P2. Your pace improved alot from the Qualy!

View attachment 579694
Uf that's a squeeze :D I was referring to the exit of Copse (I guess) where you ran wide. But seeing that squeeze I put on you, I would say that's ok :D

The time improvement came from using the high aggressive MGU mode. Thanks for the hint :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest News

Back