AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 10th July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

Interslice

Club Staff
Premium
Welcome to the RD Assetto Corsa Racing Club. This Sunday we're heading to the A1 Red Bull Ring, for some GT3 racing!!

Join us!

This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in!
If you need any help don't hesitate to ask on discord before the race, or right here on the forum! We are always happy to help.

All premium members using their full real name in the forum, in game and discord can sign up for this event.

Link to the RD community on S.GP is here. You need to sign-up and join to access our race servers.

Need a warm-up or want to start online/multiclass racing at a gentler pace? There is an MX-5 +1 multi-class every Wednesday. We also run a practice server all week for both events.

Red-Bull-Ring-2022.png

• Practice Server: #12 (Available throughout the race week)
  • Race server: Simracing.gp - Frankfurt
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 DST, 18:00 UTC | 1 hour 20 minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 DST, 19:20 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:40 CEST, 20:40 DST, 19:40 UTC) | 60 minutes - Race

Cars:

DLC is required for this event

Event details:
  • Track: RBR, Austria
  • Pit stop: Mandatory (Between 10 and 50 minutes)
  • Track Temps: 20C air/26C track
  • Track Condition: Clear, Improving grip, Light wind
  • Damage: 10%
  • Assists: Factory
  • Standing Start: Jump Start = Drive through penalty
  • Further info on simracing.gp

Useful Links:

Last edited:
A message to all Drivers

If you run off track, you must check to see that its clear before you re enter the track. Always try to re-enter the track parallel to the racing line. Stay off the racing line until you are up to race speed and do not block any fast approaching car.

When joining the track from the pits, remain inside the white line and stay off the racing line until you are up to speed.

During qualification, do not race on your out lap, let other drivers by.

Golden Rule
  1. If you hit somebody, sending them off the track and carry on like nothing happened, you take the risk of being banned for 30 days.
  2. Instead, you should always wait for the affected drivers, and that way you can be 100% sure you will not get a ban.
Track limits
  1. No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please.
    You will be penalized if you break our rules
Note: Please use your full real name in Discord. Not doing so may result in you being kicked from the server if an admin cannot identify you as a premium member.

Wow! Joel and Dmitry both in the Audi. Can't wait to see how that turns out! I hope they can make it.

By the way, I did some AI-only testing (so I can do something else, apparently there's a life besides sim racing) with the GT3 cars on 20 different tracks.

20 cars, two for every GT3 (I also have included the SLS GT3). Skill level 100%, aggressiveness 75%. Optimal track conditions.

Results (combined means the difference was not significant):
1 McLaren
2/3 Ferrari, Porsche
4/5 AMG,Glickenhaus
6 Lamborghini
7/8 BMW,SLS
9/10 Audi, Nissan.

Other observations:
Porsche is best on tracks with tight corners.
Lamborghini and Glickenhaus are best on high speed tracks.
McLaren is good on any track. Ferrari also but always slower than the McLaren.
The SLS is the slower Mercedes, but not the slowest GT3, so maybe a human can get some good results with it.

Where the aliens Chris Down's performance can be partly explained with the McLaren as the best car, that is not the case with Dmitry (Audi) and Aki (with the Nissan a few years ago I believe).

But of course there are a lot of unknown variables like the AI racing lines that can be good for McLaren and bad for Nissan. How is tire wear for AI being implemented, especially with regard to the Porsche?
The races lasted 45 minutes and the AI chose mediums on each car, which could be in favor of the Porsche.

So what do we learn from this? Nothing new!

We already knew that the McLaren is unbeatable on most tracks if the driver can push to the limit. And we know it's the man behind the wheel who makes up 99% of the result. Dmitry is the fastest man (when Chris isn't around) in almost the slowest car.

And for myself, my best results are with the slowest car of them all! Does that mean I'm such a good driver that I'm a midfielder? Certainly not! It means I drive a car that suits my driving style, so I make fewer mistakes and can maintain a decent pace.
Btw my PB's on most tracks are with the 911 but the car is too tricky for me in a race of an hour. I wish I could qualify with the Porsche and race with the Nissan. But S.GP doesn't support that, strangely enough:p.

I believe the AI cars run with default - hence the mediums. So that's default psi, aero, gearing etc.

Some of these cars are probably hopeless with no setup changes. Would be nice to know if the results change if the setup was tweeted.

I believe there is a way to change AI setup by putting a particular.ini file somewhere

Last edited:
Last edited:
That could be interesting with Chris his McLaren setup and Dmitry his Audi setup and so on!!

But with the AI racelines for Battenbergring it became clear that the AI couldn't drive the racelines that Enzo drove because they weren't able to steer the car that way. So that's probably also the case with setups from the aliens. In that context the AI is more human than our aliens:roflmao:.
We know from @Fat-Alfie that AI uses the race line. So if Enzo has helped create the raceline with an Alien setup then it probably explains why the AI cars (with default setup) can't follow the raceline exactly. It would be be an interesting experiment to see a Battenbergring AI race using the car/setup Enzo used to create the raceline.

Maybe the raceline is a blend of different cars/setups?

Out of interest, I experimented with an alien AI on my last track, and the AI crashed more often and lapped significantly slower.

I just don't think that they can cope with a very 'human' racing line. My feeling is that the AI are designed to add a human element to a theoretically correct racing line. If they are given a racing line that already has that human element baked into it, the result is sloppy, too human driving.

Out of interest, I experimented with an alien AI on my last track, and the AI crashed more often and lapped significantly slower.

I just don't think that they can cope with a very 'human' racing line. My feeling is that the AI are designed to add a human element to a theoretically correct racing line. If they are given a racing line that already has that human element baked into it, the result is sloppy, too human driving.
How do you "experiment with an alien AI"? Di you mean you switched skill level too 100%? I've found that these 100% skill level times as still a bit slower that our own aliens. And trying to be an alien with default setup might be problematic.

I sent a pre-release copy of Battebergring to Enzo and asked him to record an AI line driving as fast and smoothly as he could.

He was cutting just enough of each apex to make him quick; he was really on the limit of the track boundaries, but when the AI tried to use the same line, they seemed to drift beyond the limits, clipping kerbs, running wide and generally drove quite sloppily.

It's a shame because I was hoping that an alien line would make for better racing, but it just didn't work out like that.

How do you "experiment with an alien AI"? Di you mean you switched skill level too 100%? I've found that these 100% skill level times as still a bit slower that our own aliens. And trying to be an alien with default setup might be problematic.
I believe "alien" is just 98%

By the way, I did some AI-only testing (so I can do something else, apparently there's a life besides sim racing) with the GT3 cars on 20 different tracks.

20 cars, two for every GT3 (I also have included the SLS GT3). Skill level 100%, aggressiveness 75%. Optimal track conditions.

Results (combined means the difference was not significant):
1 McLaren
2/3 Ferrari, Porsche
4/5 AMG,Glickenhaus
6 Lamborghini
7/8 BMW,SLS
9/10 Audi, Nissan.

Other observations:
Porsche is best on tracks with tight corners.
Lamborghini and Glickenhaus are best on high speed tracks.
McLaren is good on any track. Ferrari also but always slower than the McLaren.
The SLS is the slower Mercedes, but not the slowest GT3, so maybe a human can get some good results with it.

Where the aliens Chris Down's performance can be partly explained with the McLaren as the best car, that is not the case with Dmitry (Audi) and Aki (with the Nissan a few years ago I believe).

But of course there are a lot of unknown variables like the AI racing lines that can be good for McLaren and bad for Nissan. How is tire wear for AI being implemented, especially with regard to the Porsche?
The races lasted 45 minutes and the AI chose mediums on each car, which could be in favor of the Porsche.

So what do we learn from this? Nothing new!

We already knew that the McLaren is unbeatable on most tracks if the driver can push to the limit. And we know it's the man behind the wheel who makes up 99% of the result. Dmitry is the fastest man (when Chris isn't around) in almost the slowest car.

And for myself, my best results are with the slowest car of them all! Does that mean I'm such a good driver that I'm a midfielder? Certainly not! It means I drive a car that suits my driving style, so I make fewer mistakes and can maintain a decent pace.
Btw my PB's on most tracks are with the 911 but the car is too tricky for me in a race of an hour. I wish I could qualify with the Porsche and race with the Nissan. But S.GP doesn't support that, strangely enough:p.
The Audi is usually among top-3 best cars on any track, it's definitely not one of the slowest. But for some reason AI is very poor in driving the Audi and the stock setup is no good in this car, though even with my setups AI is pretty bad and slower than in other cars. The way AI is driving seems to be very different from what I'm doing. E.g. AI doesn't overheat rear tires when using softs in conditions when I have to use mediums, which means it doesn't push it much

I kinda suck big time at RBR, so don't put any money on me, ha-ha
Well, Joel isn't yet that fast as he used to be so I'm still going for you but I think it will be close. Of course I have to watch it from the replay because you will be out of my sight after T4. I suck at RBR and the Nissan has trouble with the turn in here, at least how I drive it.

Latest News

Back