AC GT3 @ Mugello - Sunday 17th July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was a nice race. Felt like taking a different car this week. Went for the 650s earlier in the week but ended up getting tempted by ernie setup and going with the 911. I was interested to see how it stacked up against the other on a medium tyre dominated track. I didn't really gel with the 650s, maybe another day when I have more time to practice and get the setup dialled in to suit me, I'll give it a run.
The 911 was nicer to drive as the race went on, early on it really didn't like the fuel load at the front through arrabiatta 1 and I had a spin there when it understeered heavily on the bumps. I went for a 60:40 split of fuel, which turned out a bad idea... It handled the single set of mediums well but unfortunately a 1 litre stop doesn't seem a runner.
Had a few nice battles, one 911 dogfight with casper at the start and another with @hape in the mclaren at the end. Not sure what tyre strategy hape was on, but he seemed to be struggling alot more with his rear end. Even though he had the better pace I could keep the pressure on after he had a few wobbles.

Thanks to all for racing. And congrats to @demetri for the win. On a roll since your return :)

See you all next week.

Last edited:
@The Almighty Snark

I threw up the replays onto the drive. Managed a series of 1:49:2 - 1:49:6's in qualy. Usually with that consistency you would eventually put a 1:48:9 together but I couldn't manage it. Some small understeer would catch me out somewhere.
It would still be away off my 1:48:29 in the 488 from the qually last year.

49.006 optimal in qualy :/ I would like to see how the fast 911 drivers are getting the mid to low 1:48's but I'm pretty sure it's in arrabiata 1/2 I have a skill issue with the porker. Maybe some setup tinkering would have fixed it for me, who knows :)

1658142480720.png

Last edited:
Watching the video of Demitry's lap in the R8 I notice that he's very hard on the accelerator - it's virtually a switch. My own throttle trace shows a lot of hesitancy. If I look at your throttle trace then its the same as mine. I've had another session to improve this behaviour and it's had a noticeable impact on lap times. Quite a basic observation but 'brake hard/accelerate hard' worked for me - don't know why it's taken me so long to realise!

There is a R8 1:48.978 lap file in my drive area if you want a look

Last edited:
Quite a basic observation but 'brake hard/accelerate hard' worked for me - don't know why it's taken me so long to realise!

Huh, maybe I should look into that too, I've been about gentle brake and throttle application, smoothly roll on and smoothly roll off. Though that is mostly a motorbike focussed thing from the A Twist of the Wrist training video's.

Huh, maybe I should look into that too, I've been about gentle brake and throttle application, smoothly roll on and smoothly roll off. Though that is mostly a motorbike focussed thing from the A Twist of the Wrist training video's.
Smooth on the brakes really isn't a thing for cars, as loading the tire gently isn't as much of a necessity as it is on a bike, where you can lose the front if you stab the front brake.

Smooth off the brakes is fairly important though, but that's more just trailbraking in general.

When it comes to the throttle, apply as much as you have grip available.

These cars have ABS and TC though, so they already make all of this a lot easier. And I should add that professional GT3 drives make a lot of use of the TC and ABS. (Although, TC moreso than ABS)

Smooth on the brakes really isn't a thing for cars, as loading the tire gently isn't as much of a necessity as it is on a bike, where you can lose the front if you stab the front brake.

Smooth off the brakes is fairly important though, but that's more just trailbraking in general.

These cars have ABS and TC though, so they already make all of this a lot easier. And I should add that professional GT3 drives make a lot of use of the TC and ABS. (Although, TC moreso than ABS)
So what ABS/TC settings would you tend to use?

So what ABS/TC settings would you tend to use?
For me usually almost off so for example on the R8 usually 8-9 on both. With the 650s in this race I ran a bit more TC(4), since the car wants to spin at low speeds when trying to plant the throttle at the exits of corners

(in case someone already didn't know, in AC 1=Max and bigger number equals to a more reduced effect)

I've always tend to setup ABS to having it at almost off then going for more bit by bit where I can't lock the brakes up anywhere anymore. So I like it where it acts like a safety net, but it don't affect handling of the car under brakes (maybe only by enabling me to run a bit more rear brake-bias if I want more rotation on the brakes, especially on tracks which have a lot of tight hairpins/corners)

For TC, I go for same approach. Little bit of wheel spin is fine, but too much is too much.

But generally if a car has built-in TC/ABS systems, you should almost always use them, since the car is built around them.

Last edited:

Going fast on a motorcycle is definitely hella different from a car... One of those I do a lot IRL ;)

Latest News

Back