GTA V.jpg

The Grand Theft Auto V modding community, established over the years modding GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and most recently GTA IV, is outraged by the EULA that Rockstar seems to have. As of May 1st people using any kind of mod are reporting that they are being banned from GTA V.

GTA V players from all over the world have been outraged by Rockstar. Since May 1st players are reporting that they are being banned for using mods, even in the single player part of the game!

It would be more than understandable that Rockstar would ban any user using mods in the online environment. Nobody likes to play with cheaters or hackers in their online experiences, however the bans were applied to players only having modded the story mode of the game. Even the smallest game tweaks such as a Field-of-View (FOV) changer are reason for Rockstar to apply bans.

This outrage follows on another outrage caused by Valve when they started offering pay-mods for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim through their game-platform Steam. A feature which was rolled back within a week of its release. Gabe Newell, Valve CEO, stated: "Pissing off the internet costs you a million bucks in just a couple of days". It might seem like Rockstar is actually killing their sales as well now in just a couple of days.

Rockstar has not yet responded on the outrage, but the following passage in their EULA seems to be clear as daylight:

You agree not to: [..] reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, display, perform, prepare derivative works based on, or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part.
Their message is clear and they have started acting upon living along the lines of their EULA.

What do you think of the way Rockstar is fighting mods? Is it a shame that we will never see mods as good as in GTA IV? Were you planning on using mods or already using them?

That's some surprising post-sale information lol. So the only benefit of having this game on the PC is now gone.

Firm kick in the nuts for those that have been patiently waiting for quite a while. Way to go Rockstar :speechless:

I was basically done with GTA V back on PS3, so not a big personal-loss, but obviously no big mods - no funny a$$ mods to watch. (So far the chicken-body hijacks win).

Kinda why I'm glad most sim-racing titles more-or-less support mods, some more than others, but at least it's there and they don't throw hissy-fits. (Except for PD & GT hybrids online)

this clausule is in many games, but yeah giving out bans is bit too much, this will definitely cost them,

it's a shame, LCPD mod was only reason I bought the GTA4 on PC again, after finishing the game on PS3 earlier

don't understand people crying about payware mods for skyrim though,

The last GTA I will buy on PC, traditionally I have purchased it to play on console, then later also purchased the PC version so I could add the mods and mess around with it, I won't bother again.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 128 27.6%
  • Full game

Votes: 110 23.7%
  • CPU

Votes: 58 12.5%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 84 18.1%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 52 11.2%