Gaming system for a friend.

I felt the same way not just sata but those ugly IDE ribbons and 4pin power.
Oh that reminds me, XT floppy and 10mb HDD cables lol

As well I have same philosophy with USB cables.

Was not meant to hang a dozen leads from a motherboard
There is essentially no way to stop all that weight pulling on the flimsily slots even top end M/B have.
As a compare check out the slots on the Sarbent Hubs are like night and day.

That is what top end self powered hub are for ;)

Last edited:
20240728_160337.jpg

20240728_164243.jpg

So far so good. He built it all himself with oversight.

We got windows installed, wifi driver downloaded and working. His parents set him up a MS account with oversight, where they could restrict his use by hours per day and make sure he wasn't using it when he should be sleeping.

Had some video recorded of this build, but that is his. Installed DaVinci Resolve and pulled the video in so he could see it.

That headset sounded better than I expected it would.

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun. His parents said he had showered early and was bugging them the to get moving so they wouldn't be late.

Then they got here and wanted to talk about our new deck for a little bit. He calmly waited. After a few minutes of that I told Jack as exciting as this is, you probably want to get started downstairs. Then I told him you are going to build this yourself and I'm just going to walk you through the steps.

He looked a little concerned, but we got started and I handed him boxes and he got to work. He stayed completely focused for about 3 hours straight building the PC. I only stepped in a few times when he was concerned he was going to break something like pressing the DRAM into place.

The CMOS setup only required we set it for the Windows OS. Then it installed surprisingly quickly off the DVD which was a 2nd half 2023 win 11 disk. It downloaded all the updates and rebooted a few times. He lost a bit of interest at this point, but types in the activation key and worked with his parents to setup the MS user account.

Once we got Windows all setup and updated, I downloaded the latest MB drivers to enable WiFi.

I was surprised how quickly DaVinci loaded and installed. Those drives are very fast.

After we tested that, they took it home.

At this point they still haven't run the AI optimizer, and it still seems pretty fast.

We'll save optimization for another day.

His Dad watched the whole assembly process taking pictures. His Mom drank wine with my wife and they seemed to have a great time as well.

Back before they and my wife and I got married we all used to mountain bike together so we've been friends for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
Sounds like one of those perfect days!
You'll be the "Coolest 'uncle' ever" for quite some time, I guess :D

He's also interested in RC aircraft and I just decided to dust off my fleet of RC helicopters.

Unfortunately that is not only a very deep dive, but can get expensive to get setup initially and what you are flying can crash and need expensive repairs etc..

Last edited:

Latest News

Back