Gaming system for a friend.

I'm not saying it won't work. They are legit OEM keys that are unused. However they mention that while they give you a key, "if it doesn't work, they'll give you another". To me that sounds a bit shady.
Yeah it's not really "shady", it's just how this works. (Which is a bit quirky!)
From what I know you buy "a key - not a license".
So a company buys 4000 keys for a batch of laptops but only builds 3500 laptops and then the key-selling-company buys the remaining keys from them.
Sometimes the lists aren't in the correct order or so and some of the keys will already be bound to a laptop/pc or will get bound in the future.
Not really shady, just a quirk of this weird business.
Reminds of when I sold my old SSD and told the buyer "The cable should work. But if it doesn't, I have 3 others that I'll send you" :roflmao:

Since there's not a new Windows version every two years with the need of a new license, I totally see reasoning behind getting a genuine license!
As long as you don't have to save on any other part for it.

Very nice of you to eat up the extra costs! Make sure that the kid knows that he got a genuine license that he should take care of and use for any future Windows versions and PC upgrades.
And not be like "It's just a 5 bucks key, I'll get a new one"..

Yeah it's not really "shady", it's just how this works. (Which is a bit quirky!)
From what I know you buy "a key - not a license".
So a company buys 4000 keys for a batch of laptops but only builds 3500 laptops and then the key-selling-company buys the remaining keys from them.
Sometimes the lists aren't in the correct order or so and some of the keys will already be bound to a laptop/pc or will get bound in the future.
Not really shady, just a quirk of this weird business.
Reminds of when I sold my old SSD and told the buyer "The cable should work. But if it doesn't, I have 3 others that I'll send you" :roflmao:

Since there's not a new Windows version every two years with the need of a new license, I totally see reasoning behind getting a genuine license!
As long as you don't have to save on any other part for it.

Very nice of you to eat up the extra costs! Make sure that the kid knows that he got a genuine license that he should take care of and use for any future Windows versions and PC upgrades.
And not be like "It's just a 5 bucks key, I'll get a new one"..
I got a copy with a real DVD :) I'm thinking that having a case will make it easy to not lose the activation key.
I'm sure he'll find that humorous.

However, I do have a USB DVD player that will recognize as a boot device.
I also have a new very tiny DVD player that runs off the power provided through the USB plug, so I may actually install it off the DVD. How quaint, right? I'll have a boot USB stick ready just in case.

LOL! you are right of course Windows 11 was released 10/2021. That's a LOT of updates :)

Were I to guess, I'm betting that it will install and then update to the last big rollup patch and then everything after that.

This will be entertaining, I'm sure. LOL!

Last edited:
Yeah, the box will be nice!
The DVD though... :p

I'd suggest to use the "media creation tool" on the usb stick as close to the build start as possible. I always do it the night before - in case it'll take the whole night, lol.

I may have to do a test run of the media creation tool on my Gaming computer.

Parts should all be here on the 16th. Not sure when we will schedule a build party.

Last edited:
Could you be more specific on that?
A 7800XT cost way less...and for a title like MSFS where VRAM is key, that option is better.
The only reason for having that overly-priced RTX4070 is ray-tracing, which most people do not care about versus all out framerate.
The 4070 is way too expensive for what it offers.
On the CPU cooling side....a Thermalright Peerless Assissin A-120 fits the bill of most modern CPUs for about $29-35 and you get a bit of spill-over cooling for VRMs.
Either of the CPUs will do but the 7800X3D offers a more future proof upgrade option...especially since this is a new build.
If he were upgrading from an AM4, I'd say stick the 5700X3D in and forget about it.
Heck I run a 5800X3D with an Intel ARC A770LE and every title I run is glass smooth, so the 7800XT should power through any new title.
Save the extra money and get him an inexpensive but good VR headset.
I bought a recertified HP Reverb and upgraded it to the G2 specifications.
The thing runs great with excellent clarity and framerate...even with what people still deem Intel's 'potato' GPU.
Stick with the 32 GB of RAM.

Last edited:
He's got a Quest 2 and I don't think he uses it at all. I WOULD NOT push him into VR. I don't care how you look at it, VR is expensive and always leaves you wanting for more. He is turning 13 years old and I don't want to even remotely give him the PC VR bug.

All the parts are ordered.

Last edited:
Yeah, the box will be nice!
The DVD though... :p

I'd suggest to use the "media creation tool" on the usb stick as close to the build start as possible. I always do it the night before - in case it'll take the whole night, lol.

This is for anyone ..........

I buy retail keys from Gamers Outlet
After you go online go straight to Microsoft log in and register tower and Key
Once registered never had a key fail, ever. You can remove again anytime and transfer to new owner, etc.
I have brought retail USB windows , waste of money as any will be old build so useless !
Bill does care if W11 costs you $1 , it is the services you use from then on he cares about.

DVD are too slow ... but for burning buy a LG external USB DVD Writer ( these are awesome + cheap )

$2.00 8GB USB2 stick ( USB3 STICK won't make install any faster )
Media Tool 23H2

INSTALL OFFLINE !
W11 does not give you option anymore.
Workaround is easy........

WHEN ASKED TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET
PRESS SHIFT + F10 - THIS WILL OPEN A COMMAND WINDOW
CLICK ON COMMAND WINDOW SO YOU CAN TYPE
TYPE: OOBE\BYPASSNRO *MUST BE ALL CAPS*
PRESS ENTER
PC WILL REBOOT
WILL RETURN TO SETUP, ADD COUNTRY AGAIN, ETC.
AT CONNECTION WINDOW
PRESS: I DON'T HAVE INTERNET ( IN BLUE LOWER RIGHT CORNER)
PRESS: CONTINUE WITH LIMITED SETUP

SETUP WILL CONTINUE ;)

=======================================

The reason offline setup is better it stops windows from screwing with anything.

1. MSRT Run Quick Scan the moment the OS boots ...
Reason I do first is it will have least files to scan.
Scroll down for download.

2. Is only 2 windows updates you need to download right now
Make sure to get " 23H2 for x64 "

Download and install those manual

3. Install runtime package ( disable UAC or you have 12 mouse clicks )
If you install this before any apps or running steam / games it will stop old versions being installed.

4. DirectX June 2010

5. DRIVERS
You should download all drivers for manual install
I recommend you use the cleaned Nvidia driver

I make my own even taking out PhysX as I run nothing that uses it.

6. After all that go online and run windows updates 2 times to get AV and malware defs

7. Microsoft sign in register tower and OS

I recommend you partition C:\ to 100GB , If you have big apps that need C:\ make it bigger
Point of isolating the OS is so you don't lose anything else on the main drive when you do a fresh OS.

When you do a fresh OS in setup delete C:\ and the 3 small partitions, then just click NEXT
It will reuse the old partitions so your info is saved and OS will auto activate and all other partitions remain untouched.

Last edited:
Nice guide Durge!
My opinion about the small C partition:
I used to do it like that, but then you have to move the "personal" folders like documents, pictures, downloads to another partition, which can be a bit complicated at first.
My main issue with this was that some installers won't read that change automatically and some might even cause issues and just use C: anyway.

You'd also have to explain to the kid that his Assetto Corsa Replays won't be in C:/users/name/documents but on D:.

I went through this extra work, but by now I simply use a 600GB C:/ and bought a bigger external drive for backups.

I install all programs on C, but never games.
Because games either just work, when you move the installation folder or you only need to re-install Steam on a fresh Windows and add the library folders in the settings.

Programs like Davinci or Fusion360 need to be re-installed and I like to have the folders at their default paths for debugging.

Your way with the smaller C is cleaner. I just wanted to give my experience :)

One thing you didn't mention:
Windows defaults to your personal folders being linked to OneDrive and you have to manually uncheck that during the installation.
Make sure to definitely do that!!

We had drivers having awful pings during every first lap of a race.
Turned out that the automatically saved qualifying replay was uploading to OneDrive.
And since everyone only gets 5 GB for free, you quickly run into issues.

I've avoided One Drive as well.
I like having a 1Tb boot drive with all software except games installed on it. For his use the C may be pretty empty for a while, but I think that is a good thing. I always keep games, video, image libraries etc off my boot drive.

Yes OneDrive and that "remote" BS in programs add remove they started adding, uninstall those.
I delete entire windows start menu and windows tools and add back only what I actually want through open shell. Simply can't stand bloated desktops or pointless icons.
Cleaner it is, less registry less process.

As for documents pictures and all that crap windows try to dictate how you use.
Documents is the only folder I keep for reasons you outline, all that is copied over.
Music, pictures, media are all on other partitions.
The only pics I copy over are lock screen and wallpaper.
Sniping I direct to another partition ( select the folder click properties click location and move )

I try to do the near perfect OS, absolutely nothing I don't use and fully setup all apps.
I then go into the fresh registry and export all changes, I then merge all those into one registry with winareo.
Fresh OS 1 click it does about 100 app settings would take hours manually.

Between winareo, explorer patcher and open shell exports/saves does the rest.
I then have 2 special folders for each tower.
1. Copy over anytime
2. Copy over once all installed

I then delete the entire MS start menu and drag and drop #2.
This replaces full start menu, desktop icons and pinned items.

Takes me a hour, 2 hours if I dawdle to do a fresh OS back to 101%
I will do those when I have major windows and drivers updates.

I see people in threads for days can't solve new issue.
In those circumstance a few hours I would be back to exact setup down to the icon placements.
Awesome tool for that is REICON
Screenshot 2024-07-15 065936.png

So when you have desktop get muddled because of changing game resolutions or monitors one click fixes it. I make various profiles for various tower, monitor and res combos.

Explorer Patcher, Open Shell, Winareo are absolute must haves for me.

I would also disable log off , sleep and others.
You can then delete sleep storage and get back a heap of GB's depending how much memory you have.

My Windows 11 Pro is 23-24GB constantly looked after solely by AVG Tuneup, that leaves 70GB+ free
Malwarebytes Pro does the absolute best job blocking anything, stops 1,000s of hits per day.
Then I use through the router NordVPN
Nord Pass for passwords, never use a browser for passwords.

This system I do not get a single spam text email on any devices as they all connect to "through the router VPN" via wireless. I not kidding not a single thing on 2 towers, phone, 2 tablets or smart TV.
Always use Lan for your towers.

Also use advanced firewall to block heaps and export the profile to add to new OS.
You simply don't need to let every tool and app communicate, very few you need to.

As well overlooked are "standalone tools" most anything can be made that way.
No need to reinstall 90% of gear, these are just my main standalones.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 064933.png

All this is on a external Samsung 1TB SSD that can just be plugged into my other PC when
needed does exact same thing, universal.

This is type of folder I have for both towers makes setup so easy.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 065655.jpg

Here is my windows tools menu ........empty LOL
Screenshot 2024-07-15 070329.jpg

This is all I keep and some only because you can't delete them.
Winareo you can make right click context menu on desktop for all this crap.
But W11 won't let you hide all "windows tools" like it does in W10 for "admin tools" or there would be nothing.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 070450.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun!! :geek:
Crossing fingers, that everything will go smoothly. Remember, that the AM4 builds can have seemingly endless boot times for the first boot and if changing CPU or RAM settings.
AM4 isn't as bad as my "AM - gonna grab a coffee and eat some cake - 5"-build, but it still caught me a bit off guard the first time.
I think the 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus took 1-2 minutes. I remember having to calm down my buddy that everything would be perfectly normal (while becoming quite worried myself haha).

Memory training?
That and some other things. After changing memory settings, it can take a long time too, but the very first power-on is a bit special :roflmao:
Especially since the fans will start, then might stop, Debug-LEDs might or might not blink.. You really think the PC would be faulty.
But just patiently wait and it will come alive after some time.
Or not, if a SATA cable is faulty (I absolutely hate hard drives for what a faulty connection causes -> PC just seems dead)

Latest News

Back