AC BTCC Shake Down Under @ Bathurst - Sunday 20th August 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Ah! Brian I did not know that, I tested in vanilla AC.;)

I can see your point Dominic :roflmao::roflmao: but I just cannot keep it on the track. There are within 1 km, 8 corners that will wipe me out all in varying degrees of difficulty, all in a row.
I must have done 40 laps most were never completed, most got to one of those 7 corners before getting me.
A couple of the runs I got with MoTeC, which you are more than welcome too, if you can sort it all out.
Like I said in the race I will have to lift for someone, lifting is going to be a receipt for disaster.
But I am looking forward to seeing how Robert runs in the race, or anyone else in the Primera here. if he can last two 25 minute stints then I will know it is my incompetence.
:roflmao::roflmao:
Honestly, I don't have any idea how you (or the rest of the gang) can get lap times into the mid and even high teens at this track... granted, i do not have that many laps invested in this track, but so far I'm around 5 or 6 seconds off! i don't know where there is that much time to be extracted... sigh...

As for motec, yes, i've downloaded and installed that APP. even got the damn thing working without all the scandal i read about here. however, to my untrained and unsophisticated eye, it just looks like a bunch of squiggly lines to me... i have no idea what the hell I'm looking at. how anyone can glean anything useful from that is a puzzle to me.. I'm hopeless i guess. :confused:maybe i need to take some courses on Telemetry 101...

Last edited:
First, the fast guys are on cheater tyres, namely the softs:p

Secondly

Motec is great when you have data sets to compare to.

When you're on your own you can at least see which line gave best results when you compare it to your speed trace.

When I'm home I could send you a data set for the Beemer

First, the fast guys are on cheater tyres, namely the softs:p

Secondly

Motec is great when you have data sets to compare to.

When you're on your own you can at least see which line gave best results when you compare it to your speed trace.

When I'm home I could send you a data set for the Beemer
Ah, I suppose this was the problem... I didn't really have anything to compare my telemetry info to... I was thinking there must be a way to overlap your own laps within a session, so you can see where you are fast and where you are losing time as it relates to your own performance... I couldn't figure it out though, I must find some time to dedicate to learning how to use Motec.

Thanks Carsten, this helps.

Carsten is spot on, i have my MoTeC here for you but it is for the Primera, so it is of no real value unless you drive that car.
It does look like a load of wiggles and swiggles, but you only need to concentrate on a few, then as time goes by you learn what to look at in a relative way.
After all we are not doing it for a living.
Some things I look at I do not know there relevance and how well the software creates its own resolution, but eventually you get a sort of understanding of there meanings to Assetto Corsa.

Last edited:
Ah, I suppose this was the problem... I didn't really have anything to compare my telemetry info to... I was thinking there must be a way to overlap your own laps within a session, so you can see where you are fast and where you are losing time as it relates to your own performance... I couldn't figure it out though, I must find some time to dedicate to learning how to use Motec.

Thanks Carsten, this helps.
Hi Dominic,

It is great to have faster guys sharing their data for your to compare like what you will get from Carsten.

But you can also easily compare your own lap times, in fact, more usefully, individual corners. If you open one of your data file with multiple laps, go to the data panel by clicking on the Data icon on the left side panel. It will open up a window with list of your laps. Each have three check box, one round followed by two square ones. I usually check the round one for my fastest lap as reference (the round check box), then check for the other laps I want to compare the last box. You can check multiple ones. But I typically do just two to make it easy to see the comparison. Now go back to your trace window and you will see two traces displayed. The real handy feature is to show where time is gain/lost by hitting F3. This turns on what Motec calls the variance trace. It shows you where the reference lap is faster (up ward trending) or slower (down ward trending). From this you can see exactly where you are gaining or losing time, i.e., which corner, on entry, mid turn or exit, etc. To line up the two traces correctly, you need to use the distance x axis (F9 toggles between time and distance).

The other thing is to compare the race lines. I felt this is really important for us newbies, especially if we can get a fast guys trace to learn a new circuit. For that you need a real track map that shows the edge outlines of the track. I have been making those for all the FA and some of the GT circuits we raced on and Bouke and Carsten had been contributing. I will have you added to the PM where we share the maps.

Last edited:
Hi Dominic,

It is great to have faster guys sharing their data for your to compare like what you will get from Carsten.

But you can also easily compare your own lap times, in fact, more usefully, individual corners. If you open one of your data file with multiple laps, go to the data panel by clicking on the Data icon on the left side panel. It will open up a window with list of your laps. Each have three check box, one round followed by two square ones. I usually check the round one for my fastest lap as reference (the round check box), then check for the other laps I want to compare the last box. You can check multiple ones. But I typically do just two to make it easy to see the comparison. Now go back to your trace window and you will see two traces displayed. The real handy feature is to show where time is gain/lost by hitting F3. This turns on what Motec calls the variance trace. It shows you where the reference lap is faster (up ward trending) or slower (down ward trending). From this you can see exactly where you are gaining or losing time, i.e., which corner, on entry, mid turn or exit, etc. To line up the two traces correctly, you need to use the distance x axis (F9 toggles between time and distance).

The other thing is to compare the race lines. I felt this is really important for us newbies, especially if we can get a fast guys trace to learn a new circuit. For that you need a real track map that shows the edge outlines of the track. I have been making those for all the FA and some of the GT circuits we raced on and Bouke and Carsten had been contributing. I will have you added to the PM where we share the maps.
Thanks so much Dai for all this super helpful info and tips! I truly appreciate it! I was trying to figure this stuff out on my own, because i didn't want to be a pain, but was getting majorly frustrated. When I get some time, I'm going to go back and mess around with all this, now that I'm starting to feel empowered with this newfound knowledge. :D

Thousand thank yous!

Interesting, the fastest guys here are half a second quicker in a quali lap than the 'the sweedish florist' :D
I guess no risk of detonating your car off a wall is helping us sim racers here!

Full show here. Murray is great here

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't have any idea how you (or the rest of the gang) can get lap times into the mid and even high teens at this track...
Dominic, I am sure we all have had that same feeling when we started out, and I still do when I first go out on track !!:rolleyes:
As a usual mid-field runner, I tend not be bothered about the really fast guy's times but focus on chipping away at my own times and it is surpising how at first I am 5-6 seconds off the top times (and wondering what the hell I am doing here), but with practice and trying different things I can (normally) close that gap down to 2-3 seconds.
I agree that this track is a real challenge, just lke IRL, but that's what Iike about this pastime, the different cars and tracks we get presented with each week all add to experience.
There's nothing wrong with running in the same car every week if that's what you are happy with, and there are some specalists in the usual MX5/Abarth events, but for me I love the challenge of trying to tame new cars on different tracks each week, even though I am highly unlikely to get amonsgt the elite.

You have progressed well in your short time here, keep at it, watch other's onboards, aim for a stable set up, try not to overdrive and the times will come down.

84192D34-AC8D-433A-BF57-A4661BBBDB68.jpeg

You do not have to be a fast driver to be good at setup’s. I see it as an independent skill set. ( I use the word good in a normal way, not expert, or any other derivative of that )
You cannot use it to beat a faster driver.
I am very proud of my setup for the Primera which I worked hard to get.
A lot of effort went into it, certainly a lot more than normal. it is obvious that I cannot go faster than a fast driver.
The reason I put a lot of effort into bathurst was to test that theory, it is a difficult “very “ track and car, trying to make it stable and predictable is paramount. QED.
In the end it got to the point, if I made a change I went slower. Is there more time, there are some tenths left, but if I gain them in one corner there is a chance I will lose it somewhere else.
Rasmus is better at setups than I am, I concentrate on the car, Rasus combines driver, track and car, so that is another way of improving setup relative to the whole package.
I have often thought of going that route, but I just cannot or want to go there, so I stick with just the car.

PS
nice to see a load of drivers here a second faster, goes a long way into re-enforcing what has been said above.

The end.

Last edited:
Dominic, I am sure we all have had that same feeling when we started out, and I still do when I first go out on track !!:rolleyes:
As a usual mid-field runner, I tend not be bothered about the really fast guy's times but focus on chipping away at my own times and it is surpising how at first I am 5-6 seconds off the top times (and wondering what the hell I am doing here), but with practice and trying different things I can (normally) close that gap down to 2-3 seconds.
I agree that this track is a real challenge, just lke IRL, but that's what Iike about this pastime, the different cars and tracks we get presented with each week all add to experience.
There's nothing wrong with running in the same car every week if that's what you are happy with, and there are some specalists in the usual MX5/Abarth events, but for me I love the challenge of trying to tame new cars on different tracks each week, even though I am highly unlikely to get amonsgt the elite.

You have progressed well in your short time here, keep at it, watch other's onboards, aim for a stable set up, try not to overdrive and the times will come down.
Thanks Paul, for the much needed words of encouragement. :D There have been occasions where I have gone through what you describe when trying out a track for the first time. Logging on for practice session and seeing the initial lap times posted by the regulars here and thinking, WTH! How is that even possible!? Then, I set out to learn the track, watch some track guide videos on Youtube, and put in A LOT of practice laps, and slowly I start to get within 2 or 3 seconds of the others too.

Little by little, as I'm getting familiar with the tracks, cars, and AC in general I do feel that my simracing skills are improving. I give credit to a lot of good mentorship from those here in these RD racing clubs for that.

For this track, however, it's a different story. I've put in quite a few laps now, and still can't break through the 2:20 barrier. I've even done a race with the AI set at 100% thinking I could watch the replay and learn from them, but those freaking guys couldn't even get better than 1:21s either and they were crashing all over the place. lol.

As for driving different cars, etc. I am with you completely on that one. I love the challenge of driving different cars and trying new tracks. Sometimes, the more difficult the better! I can't really say I have a favorite form of motorsport or race events--I love them all! Classic cars, modern prototypes, open wheel, NASCAR, you name it. Funny, but modern day F1 is actually my least favorite!

Anyways, back to the mountain. I won't be able to participate in Sunday's race, but I'm still determined to learn my way up and down that thing!

I'm in too. The car-track combination feels difficult.
And then there are so many setting options for the car. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I'm curious about the lap times.

Important info for track limits.

From this race on we will be using server side track limits to level the field of play.

For the sprint race format the usual drive through penalty is a bit severe so a 10 second penalty will apply to your race time automatically after 3 cuts.

Each cuts warning is displayed when crossing the start/finish, if your lap time is calculated as faster than your average time.

Any questions just post below.

Last edited:
That was an "interesting" time, still not absolutely sure if it was the setup, i have a strong suspicion it was.
Never spent anywhere that length of time on a track and car, spent three hours in total visiting every Bathurst wall.
Eventually I got to a point were I could do some laps without an off, which was progress.:)
just scraped a very long 14 before I hit something, again, .:O_o: at that point I had achieved my objective, any more was not going to prove much, other than that was my limit.
I am not so sure that setup's are as none time ( meaning lap times ) winning as I once thought, I say that mainly because there is so much setup in the Primera. I get an hint :inlove: of a feeling that i was wrong, :redface:if enough setup variables are available a lot can be achieved.
Although I know a 13 is there for someone, I am not a fast driver, it makes you think????

R.jpg

PS I will relax now and watch Brian's video of Bathurst.:)

Last edited:

Latest News

Back