AC Modding Questions Thread

Is there a list of commands for "DYNAMIC OBJECT",
and what they do ?
Commands ?
They are pretty limited
probability %
multiplier for size x,y
you can set the spawn position, with random range or not
and a velocity to go on a straight line forever....
pretty much!

here's an example for a hot balloon

[DYNAMIC_OBJECT_57]
PROBABILITY=15
MULT=1,1
FILE=dyn_balloon_f.kn5
POS_MODE=RANDOM
RND_POS_CENTER=7005.72 ,-394.207 ,-7534.46
RND_POS_RANGE=1,1,1
VEL_MODE=RANDOM
RND_VEL_BASE=0.3,0.3,0
RND_VEL_RANGE=0.1,0.1,0.1​

What causes the decals to become like this?

lTlQqQX.png

I was going to create a whole other thread for this, but it just seems so damned simple, I just don't know the answer.
If I'm using GIMP, how do I create skins using a template? I stare at the thing and just think: "I have barely any idea what this means," without even considering I don't know how to use GIMP. Anyone got a good tutorial they could link? Just have a few ideas for fictional liveries, liveries from cars placed on different ones, or just generally a desire to make more rainbow flag-based cars XD

It's a bit more complicated in GIMP cause it doesn't have quite the same featureset as Photoshop so opened psds aren't always set up the same as they used to be but basically something like this:
Qmy4b02.jpg

The base layer white is replaceable either by painting on it or painting on layers above it like color overlay (which I added to the template and drew 3 red dots on to show how that looks).
Then there are the windshield banner and constant logos which are just logos that come with the template (since a lot of series have a static tire sponsor location and manufacturer)
The layer GIMP's likely not to import correctly is ao meaning ambient occlusion, which is the shadows on the body. This layer needs Mode: Multiply at the top, so it affects the lower layers correctly.
Then there's a hidden layer wireframe this is just a convenience feature so you can see the actual locations on the texture that will be mapped on the car. If you export your skin with the wireframe visible it'll also give you a bunch of extra reference points for lining up stuff across body seams.

Once you've painted the texture you need to create a new skin folder on the car - steamlibrary/common/assettocorsa/content/cars/car_name/skins/your_skin - and save it to that as the same filename as other skins use.

Most cars will be using dds for this, which GIMP doesn't include an exporter for. But for testing purposes png will also load ingame, you just need to export as "body35_d.png" and then rename it "body35_d.dds" from file explorer. There is a dds exporter for GIMP you can find on the internet but I don't really recommend it, it does a bad job with compression. Better off downloading the software "Compressonator" or another 3rd party thing that can read png and save dds.

I do have what is probably a dumb question (well, a couple of them actually, at the very least...), so here's one:

Is it possible to change a car manufacturer's 'shield' from the hood of a car? The shield is not in the regular dds skin file, but it gets overlayed on top of whatever it finds in its' spot.

The car is the ks_porsche_911_gt3_r_2016.

I just need to replace the original shield with a black and white flat version of the same thing. So, same size, location, format, etc.

Any takers?

I do have what is probably a dumb question (well, a couple of them actually, at the very least...), so here's one:

Is it possible to change a car manufacturer's 'shield' from the hood of a car? The shield is not in the regular dds skin file, but it gets overlayed on top of whatever it finds in its' spot.

The car is the ks_porsche_911_gt3_r_2016.

I just need to replace the original shield with a black and white flat version of the same thing. So, same size, location, format, etc.

Any takers?
Can be done by removing it from logo.dds, and making a new normalmap for logo_nm.dds so it appears flat. This skin for example has done it: https://www.racedepartment.com/down...-gt3-r-blancpain-endurance-series-2019.26456/

Hi, is there any tutorial available how to add a wiper animation to a modded car?
to a car you make yourself or a "finished" car from a 3rd party? Not possible without unpacking the model and potentially altering it (if the wipers are not separate objects)

Else it's the same process as with all keyframe type animation and explained in detail in the pipeline pdf

Hi
a car from a 3rd party for example. I´ve been driven the vintage Alfa Giulia TZ available here on RD which currently misses the animation and wondered if I could do it by myself. Could CM do the job at least in assisting unpacking the data? Which pdf do you mean exactly?

Hi
a car from a 3rd party for example. I´ve been driven the vintage Alfa Giulia TZ available here on RD which currently misses the animation and wondered if I could do it by myself. Could CM do the job at least in assisting unpacking the data? Which pdf do you mean exactly?

I do not remember if I left the wipers as seperate objects but it will require quite a lot of work to get any sort of animation going for the wipers because I didn't set anything up yet for that. CM can't help you with that unfortunately.
I've had it on my to do list for a while but I don't want to force an update to everyone for something as small as one animation.

Last edited:
Hi

You know what, I've always felt like the interior is a bit lacking and I've always wanted to improve that. Now I've been considering taking a break from my current project to rework the interior and apply what I learned in the meantime. I believe I also still have a minor physics adjustment floating around somewhere. And interior + physics + animation(s) I would consider enough for an update.
Give me a week or two to see what I can do ;)

Is it wierd that I cant decide what car to model and to make a poll for decision? I have too many that I'm making that I am not invested fully, nor I am good enough to multitask. Also many of them have bad to mediocre blueprints and photos with lots of lens distorison, which makes photomatching harder. I avoid cars that can be found in rippable games and I would gladly stop making a model that someone more skilled made or is/will be making, at least for AC.

Is it wierd that I cant decide what car to model and to make a poll for decision? I have too many that I'm making that I am not invested fully, nor I am good enough to multitask. Also many of them have bad to mediocre blueprints and photos with lots of lens distorison, which makes photomatching harder. I avoid cars that can be found in rippable games and I would gladly stop making a model that someone more skilled made or is/will be making, at least for AC.
I too was thinking about a poll, just to see (from the stuff I've already started) what people would be most interested in seeing me finish first.

So i don't think its a terrible idea. Usually I'd just recommend doing what you like, as that's the most important factor imo when it comes to modding. But if you have a few candidates ready without much preference, why not?

I too was thinking about a poll, just to see (from the stuff I've already started) what people would be most interested in seeing me finish first.

So i don't think its a terrible idea. Usually I'd just recommend doing what you like, as that's the most important factor imo when it comes to modding. But if you have a few candidates ready without much preference, why not?
Where should I make poll if I want to? In this section?

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 135 26.7%
  • Full game

Votes: 120 23.7%
  • CPU

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 89 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 53 10.5%